Update from U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Songwriting in Morocco

U2.Com have been in Morocco with Brian Eno, Danny Lanois and U2. Over the next couple of weeks we’ll be bringing you the inside track on the Fez songwriting sessions. Sometimes, explains Larry, you just have to get away in order to write the songs.

A large white articulated lorry has been parked inconspicuously in the middle of Fez for the last couple of weeks. It almost completely obscures the traditional Moroccan riad behind it. There is no-one on duty at the open doorway behind it, but wander into the cool interior, down a small spiral staircase and you find yourself in a big, marble-pillared atrium which you discover, to your surprise, has been temporarily remade as a rock’n’roll recording studio.

Next to one pillar is the unmistakeable figure of Brian Eno, wearing a blue, short-sleeved summer shirt, and peering into his Mac Powerbook. The wide brim of a lurid green parasol hangs over his desk, protecting him from the mid-day sun, streaming through the open roof onto this unexpected recording space U2 have created in North Africa.

Eno isn’t here to produce a record, but to collaborate on writing new songs. He is one of six musicians, forming a wide circle around the atrium floor. Next to him, moving clockwise, Larry Mullen is at his kit rehearsing a new beat. Further along is Adam Clayton, plucking a familiar-looking, battered green bass guitar. Next up, in a brown, peaked cap and playing a steel-stringed guitar, is Daniel Lanois. Assorted technicians, all well-known faces in the U2 entourage, move in and around the circle, including Dallas Schoo, Edge’s long-time tech, who is tuning the guitar that Edge will pick up next. Next to him, sitting on a velvet settee, surrounded by books, Bono is scribbling out lyrical ideas.

‘Brian ?’ asks Danny Lanois. ‘Can we hear that track from last night again ?’

‘Number one or number two?’ replies Eno, as a break in the music reveals the melody of birds in the eaves of the house.

‘The birds are perking up,’ says Eno. ‘They’ve been extremely stern critics during our stay!’

That U2 are songwriting in this ancient city, the place they first visited to shoot the Mysterious Ways video in 1991, has remained largely a secret to the local community. Eno and Lanois, working together with the band on an extended period for the first time since the ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ sessions in 2000, arrive unnoticed each morning about an hour before the band. They use the time to listen back to ideas they came up with the day before – and in sessions earlier this year. These two weeks are the third and fourth in which the six musicians have been songwriting.

‘It’s a pretty interesting place to have a recording studio, don’t you think?’ asks Bono.

And pretty creative, adds Larry. ‘We’ve been coming up with two or three ideas a day I guess,’ he explains. ‘It started in France when they came down to write with us a couple of months back and it will probably continue later in the year.

‘It’s the first time we’ve worked with Brian and Dan in a purely songwriting capacity so it’s very different, quite experimental and kind of liberating because of that…’

‘Let’s all come in on Larry this time, from the intro…’ comes the voice from under the parasol, calling everyone back to the music. The song gets underway with Eno throwing gentle instructions across the circle: ‘Verse, verse, chorus…’

One track they’ve been working up sounds like a soul song with distinctly Arabic rhythms. Another is an epic story-telling piece which seems to run for seven or eight minutes. This time, as the music stops, the birdsong is in competition with a local muezzin, calling the people of Fez to prayer.

‘It’s kinda nice to bathe in making music like this,’ explains Larry. ‘Normally we have to get a song finished but here we’re going through lots of different ideas, finishing out some, getting them to a certain point and then leaving it to see what might happen…’
At this stage, he says, no-one knows what will happen to the work – which is partly why it is so enjoyable. And the exotic location brings its own spirit to the music.
‘It happens wherever you are. If you’re in France or Dublin, you pick up what’s in the atmosphere. Fez might seem a strange choice but sometimes, to write the songs, you just have to get away from all the things that interrupt your day.’
Some days local musicians, percussionists and fiddlers, are also in the house, adding to the songwriting mix. And elements of the music are being informed by the distinct Arabic music scale.
‘They don’t do 4/4,” says Larry. ‘They work in 5/4 and 6/8 and 3/4. They work in very complex rhythms so it’s very interesting for us to be a part of. It’s definitely a learning curve for us…”

More from Fez coming up.

This is great, sounds to me like it's the beginning of something special and a departure from recent years blockbuster-music. Something like the MDH soundtrack would be nice.

Nice article. Still sounds like it'll be an album...I don't get the feel from these articles that this is going to be for Spider-man or anything. Hopefully a U2 album....I don't think there's really a need for a second Passengers album. They have more flexibility for funkiness now than they did in the 90s, having climbed to the top yet again, and it can't even be that funky if Larry seems to be so excited about it. Plus, I don't think there's really a need to call this group 'Passengers' just because it's a 6-person writing team----Eno & Lanois have pretty much co-written parts of UF through ATYCLB, minus Pop, but got the credit for production as that's part of their production style. I'd say that this article, probably the third or fourth in a month to say that E&L are purely songwriters here, shows that they're not producing----the plan is likely still to be Rubin, and from the way they've been talking I don't see Eno/Lanois producing unless there's a change of plans. It is interesting, though, that Eno seems to be calling the shots.

Nice to hear that the local flavor is making its way into the music. :drool:

Last edited:
"And pretty creative, adds Larry. ‘We’ve been coming up with two or three ideas a day I guess,’ he explains. ‘It started in France when they came down to write with us a couple of months back and it will probably continue later in the year."

Doesn't sound like Eno/Lanois producing. So Larry is saying they've been using this 6 piece band back in France ?

Sounds like all of them fleshing out the material then put this baby down with Rubin.

Thanks for the update !

KUEFC09U2 said:
Another is an epic story-telling piece which seems to run for seven or eight minutes.

we're binary code
a one and a zero
you wanted violins
and you got nero
you're gravity
searching for the ground
you're silence
searching for a sound
your heart is aching
your heart is my home
it's fascinating
i know i'll never be alone

Last edited:
According to Larry in this piece, he said they'd probably get back together later in the year and record some more. I wouldn't be hopeful for a 2007 release.

Maybe we'll get some clips to tide us over.

sounds like they're getting it all together so they can record with Rubin, which should be a quick process. right now is the very long process that they're usually doing with a producer.

it think this proves that there will be a definite change of sound from their previous two albums.

i still believe that it will be Fall '08, but if something sparks, and the recording process with Rubin is rather quick, you never know.

KUEFC09U2 said:

‘It happens wherever you are. If you’re in France or Dublin, you pick up what’s in the atmosphere. Fez might seem a strange choice but sometimes, to write the songs, you just have to get away from all the things that interrupt your day.’

:love:

I'm telling you what...I have huge confidence in their abilities this time out. The new record in 2008 will blow ATYCLB and HTDAAB (which I love) out of the water. :rockon: Or, at the very least, give us something a little different to chew on. :hmm:

Wow, I need to stop reading these articles, they get me too excited for something that won't happen in a long time. Still I hope this team is producing anyway, they didn't mention Rubin and let's hope they never do.

Re: Re: Update from U2.com

discothequeLP said:

we're binary code
a one and a zero
you wanted violins
and you got nero
you're gravity
searching for the ground
you're silence
searching for a sound
your heart is aching
your heart is my home
it's fascinating
i know i'll never be alone

I don't know...that means that Mercy got even longer than it already is. Would they add an extra minute or so on it ?

Sounds like the band will get/is inspired by the Morocco music. Inspired U2 + Eno/Lanois = good times for us.

this a real cool article, with some good insight!

as long as they are together and working on material that is great. and with lanois and eno helping out, its only better. the stuff about the arab rhythms is real interesting, maybe something like "Fast Cars."

Sounds good. Let's just hope they don't a bunch of experimental stuff and Larry puts the hammer on it. But judging by the article, he's like it :wink:

Back
Top Bottom