U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent? - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,416
Local Time: 12:23 AM
U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe View Post
It was not just the United States where attendance was off. Attendance was off in Europe too. Only two shows at Wembley Stadium in London instead of the four they did on ZOO TV. None of the 5 German shows made it to 40,000 in attendance, the minimum you need to make an average stadium look full. The worst was actually Australia which had the lowest average attendance of the entire tour.



The tour did well from a gross standpoint, but attendance was way off from where it was on ZOO TV in many markets.


Thing is in 97 u2 were in their 30's, they were very much about new music. They were still seen as a current band, new music was getting played on all current radio stations. They were apart of the MTV culture. Kids were listening to u2 and getting into u2. They were relevant. Pop did 10 million copies didn't it, had hit singles.

Fast forward 20 years and u2 are in their 50's
, Bono is a fairly hated figure, u2 are seen as a vintage act and all most people say is Joshua tree this Joshua tree that. Nothing the bands done wrong, it's just age has caught up with them. Happens to everyone.

That's the casual view, obviously people like us are well into their new stuff. Soe has nearly done a million copies. Demands still there to a certain extent but in general they aren't about new music.

U2 don't need a new record to tour, they haven't for a while now. Their in that bracket of bands.that's just the way it is. They could release a record 100 times better then the Joshua tree but people wouldn't care apart from us fans.

Which for me makes it an even more of an achievement that there creating records as good as soe even though let's face it they really don't need to. They still want it.
__________________

rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #152
War Child
 
TheGeekyU2Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adam Stanheight and Dr Lawrence Gordon's Trap
Posts: 971
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
If we're talking 2011, then Boots, Crazy Tonight, and MOS were played at all of the shows. Magnificent was played at most of them too, which made if 3-4 songs altogether. Still a pretty decent go-around for an album that was 2+ years old by that point.
the singles were still played, but songs like No Line and breathe were never played again.
__________________

TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #153
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Thing is in 97 u2 were in their 30's, they were very much about new music. They were still seen as a current band, new music was getting played on all current radio stations. They were apart of the MTV culture. Kids were listening to u2 and getting into u2. They were relevant. Pop did 10 million copies didn't it, had hit singles.
Well, U2 were in their 30s in 1997, but I would say their interest in new music was about the same as it is today. They were viewed as an older band, but still had radio and MTV attached at the hip willing to at least play whatever they released to those formats, at least initially. But at the start of 1997, U2 had been away for a while and left on what many consider to be a sour note with the Zooropa album which at the time was not well liked and sold well below what Achtung Baby, Rattle And Hum and Joshua Tree had the time. At least this was the case in the United States. Zooropa was not an album that had brought in significant numbers of new fans, so in way, many people viewed the new U2 album as a comeback album. The massive numbers of new fans that were coming on board every year from 1987 through the start of 1993 had stopped. They were indeed relevant but had taken a bit of a misstep with Zooropa. So the new album POP was needed to get them back on track. Unfortunately for the band, it did the opposite. The album sold 1.3 million copies by the end of 1997 in the United States which was apart of the global total of 5.5 million by the end of 1997. Today's POP's numbers stand at 6 million worldwide with 1.6 million of those sales from the USA.

The U2 brand overall was weakened by Pop and Popmart. As Larry said in the VH1 Legends show about the band in late 1998, "most bands would not of survived what they had just gone through with Pop. The album and tour did not bring in any significant number of new fans and seems to have pushed most casual fans away from the band provided they had not already left the train after Zooropa. The only reason Discotheque made the top 10 was that the POP album had yet to be released yet and the single was out and it was one of the first new things by U2 you could buy. They sold 50,000 singles that first week and came straight in at #2 on the sales chart which feeds into the HOT 100 chart. In terms of airplay though it peaked at #22. Those averaged out for a #10 entry on the HOT 100, but after that first week it dropped like a rock. Staring at the Sun actually received more airplay even though it did not chart as high on the Hot 100. Staring at the Sun was a minor hit. Last Night On Earth failed to make the top 50 though and IGWSHA and Please did not chart.

The band was in a much weaker position then, late 90s. Their resurgence and rise back to mega popularity with their new music occurred after the year 2000 in the 00s when the band were in their 40s. New and old fans got back on the train during the 00s.

Quote:
Fast forward 20 years and u2 are in their 50's
, Bono is a fairly hated figure, u2 are seen as a vintage act and all most people say is Joshua tree this Joshua tree that. Nothing the bands done wrong, it's just age has caught up with them. Happens to everyone.
Bono is certainly a better known figure which amazing considering how well known he was in 1997. Obviously that level of recognition and his public work outside of U2 has generated some hostility. Because the past few albums have not generated much interest like theirs 00s work did, plus the fact that the band are older now, means yes that they are now tagged with that vintage act lable more than at any time in their career. Its much harder to make a comeback now with their new music and there is resistance to any sort of a comeback as they get older. Yet their comeback in the 00s succeeded when the odds were against them then.

The band in reality are not old at all, but the perception in the music industry where the average age of most artist with songs in the HOT 100 is 25 is very different. 40 is unfairly seen as over the hill, and you'll rarely see many artist over the age of 40 getting significant airplay for their new music. U2 successfully beat that fact in the 00s, but unfortunately in the 10s the going has got a lot more difficult. They are sort of parked with the old fanbase that stayed with them through the POP days, but the new and old fans that came back on in the 00s seem to have left the train.

Quote:

That's the casual view, obviously people like us are well into their new stuff. Soe has nearly done a million copies. Demands still there to a certain extent but in general they aren't about new music.

U2 don't need a new record to tour, they haven't for a while now. Their in that bracket of bands.that's just the way it is. They could release a record 100 times better then the Joshua tree but people wouldn't care apart from us fans.

Which for me makes it an even more of an achievement that there creating records as good as soe even though let's face it they really don't need to. They still want i
If they ever want to see the demand levels they had on the 360 tour, and Vertigo Tours, they will need to release new music that becomes popular in brings in more people. The demand to see them on the Songs Of Innocence tour was huge drop off from 360. Similar to the drop off seen between Zoo TV and Popmart.

Sure they can tour, but they can't tour and see record or equal to record attendance numbers unless it is with a new album that is received really well by the public. Doing a nostalgia tour with the Joshua Tree might be the only exception, but that's been done now.
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #154
Refugee
 
zoocarolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 1,374
Local Time: 08:23 PM
U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent?

I’m just happy the band is still touring and to break up the tour talk, SOE is still amazing 2 months in. I’m still surprised at how it is such an emotional punch in the gut and I hope this is a new jumping off point for them.
zoocarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #155
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 12:23 PM
I think it's unlikely almost to the point of fantasy to believe U2 will be touring in 2035. They'll be 75. But unlike the Stones, Pink Floyd, everyone else actually, they would only be touring if all of them were healthy. After lives of fucked up sleep, insane work hours, probably some fairly unhealthy supplement intakes, etc etc.
All 4 of them? Nah.
I'm surprised Larry is still on this tour actually.

And as stated, Keef doesn't count. On a molecular level he's a combo of coca, poppy and fuck-off. That man will never die.
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #156
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
I think it's unlikely almost to the point of fantasy to believe U2 will be touring in 2035. They'll be 75. But unlike the Stones, Pink Floyd, everyone else actually, they would only be touring if all of them were healthy. After lives of fucked up sleep, insane work hours, probably some fairly unhealthy supplement intakes, etc etc.
All 4 of them? Nah.
I'm surprised Larry is still on this tour actually.

And as stated, Keef doesn't count. On a molecular level he's a combo of coca, poppy and fuck-off. That man will never die.
But your forgetting their wealth and the type of medical care they receive.

Take a look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gall...tandhp#image=1

That's 77 musicians that are still rocking over the age of 65.

I know you want to put a fork in them, but I think U2 are far from being done.
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:21 AM   #157
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe View Post
But your forgetting their wealth and the type of medical care they receive.

Take a look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gall...tandhp#image=1

That's 77 musicians that are still rocking over the age of 65.

I know you want to put a fork in them, but I think U2 are far from being done.
My point is U2 are a package. All 4 or none at all. You think all 4 will be rocking in 17 years? I hope you're right. But I doubt you are.
Bowie, Harrison, Prince, Petty etc etc all could afford good health care too.

But... let's play this out cause it's fun. If Bono is still going in 2035, will he be making incontinence jokes prior to singing Out of Control?
I say yes.
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 6,906
Local Time: 07:23 PM
I don't think they will be a tour powerhouse they are for that long. they could still release new materials, but I don't think touring intensely would be that plausible. these older artists still touring, sure they exist but they are often exceptions. I see more and more people do farewell and stop touring. Gary Burton, John McLaughlin, etc.
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #159
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 59,334
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Who's this guy doing Sting like posts?



Oh. Right.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 27,646
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe View Post
Take a look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gall...tandhp#image=1

That's 77 musicians that are still rocking over the age of 65.
They just keep getting stronger and have more stamina with age, just like actors. Harrison Ford is running from LA to NYC today while carrying Calista Flockhart and his plane on his back, planning to do the run in 69 minutes flat.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 27,646
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
But... let's play this out cause it's fun. If Bono is still going in 2035, will he be making incontinence jokes prior to singing Out of Control?
.
Depends.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 59,334
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Depends.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #163
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,074
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
They just keep getting stronger and have more stamina with age, just like actors. Harrison Ford is running from LA to NYC today while carrying Calista Flockhart and his plane on his back, planning to do the run in 69 minutes flat.


Well that’s if his discman has batteries, if not it usually takes him an extra 10 or so.
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,416
Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Who's this guy doing Sting like posts?



Oh. Right.


Sting ittsss showtime wooooo !!!
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #165
War Child
 
TheGeekyU2Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adam Stanheight and Dr Lawrence Gordon's Trap
Posts: 971
Local Time: 05:23 PM
guys, I think U2 is still going to play/make albums until they have a problem with their health.
__________________

TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
new album, songs of ascent, songs of experience

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com