U2's Dark and Murky side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
So I was considering what new sounds I would love to hear for a new album. Since I've recently been on a UF and Million Dollar Hotel binge, I would be curious to hear the ambient trippiness of UF combined with the murky, brooding maturity of Million Dollar Hotel.

Is anyone else into that side of U2? It's so rich...yet I fear they won't ever return to that space...

UF is not dark and murky and honestly Stateless is the only track off MDH that would fit that description. Dark and murky U2 would be Achtung Baby, Passengers, Mercy and The Ocean. Would I like to hear that side of U2? More than anything else they could possibly release. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Well I suppose that's true. But the space creation. That's where HTDAAB goes awry. There is zero space there. I want moodiness and ambience...

Screwtape2 said:
UF is not dark and murky

That's not what they stated.

Yeah I'd love to hear the darker side of U2.

I think Luminous Times and Walk to the Water was the beginning, Night and Day showed they were continuing in that direction and AB was a full head first dive into it. Then with Zooropa and Pop they remained dark with moments of being really light and fun.

MDH had really good hints of that darker side of U2 but it was obvious they didn't stay there. Although POE, OSC, and LAPOE still had hints...

Last edited:
I wouldn't call Mercy murky either. I think the thread's author would like to see U2 get back into the heart of darkness again. It'd be nice to hear some more minor key songs again.

I agree, I'd love u2 to compose some songs in the mood like AB, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, MDH. I think that that's the creative challenge on their next album, not to do the same thing all over again, but take some of the dark side with them this time. I recently made a list of my top ten favorite u2 songs and almost all of them have a dark ambience to them.

1. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. With Or Without You
4. Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
5. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
6. If God Would Send His Angels
7. Mofo
8. The First Time
9. Heartland
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Dr. Lemonseed said:
Well I suppose that's true. But the space creation. That's where HTDAAB goes awry. There is zero space there. I want moodiness and ambience...

I love Hutdab, but that is a very good point. It is a very commercial record, and that is why - as time has taught me - it falls behind albums such as Tuf, because it lacks atmosphere.

Screwtape2 said:
UF is not dark and murky and honestly Stateless is the only track off MDH that would fit that description. Dark and murky U2 would be Achtung Baby, Passengers, Mercy and The Ocean. Would I like to hear that side of U2? More than anything else they could possibly release. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Agreed. Pop did some of that for me as well.

Although I am not huge on Mercy.

just not sure, in stated u2 songs-what is the difference between dark and murky(and don't give me the dictionary definition!) thanks. :huh:

So how is Mercy dark and or murky? Perhaps darkness covers more of a topical matter. Murky might be meant more for the sound, ie the thickness and deepness of a guitar? Perhaps within murky, you can get a darkness such as the sounds on Achtung Baby where everything is swirling and combined together. And at the same time, you can get darkness such as the meaning and lyrics and feel of Actung Baby. Its late... I'm talking myself in circles. I might just go to bed now. :huh:

I'm thinking;
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
Twilight
Bullet the Blue Sky
Love is Blindness
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

They do have a dark, atmospheric side & that is a good thing.

It would help if U2 would write more minor key songs again...

I also miss the Exit formula - simple 3 chord dark song that kills on the strength of the performance. New York is basically the same thing. I like it, but it's no Exit.

Allegedly dark and murky U2 can do easily. Stateless, they can come up with those with little effort.

Whatever it is that they have more difficulty with, is more of challenge that's what they should explore.

Promenade
Stateless
Velvet Dress
Heartland
Mothers of the Disappeared
The Wanderer

I wouldn't call all of those "dark" or "murky" necessarily, but the atmosphere is so sweet.

If they need to do something different...
I think they should do what they have always consciously avoided... Irish folk music!
What I mean is they could subtlely use some traditional instruments to add more folk feel; much like Led Zeppelin used to do. I know of one song; Tomorrow that they used pipes on to fantastic effect & they have used bodran also. Or they could go a bit world music & use even more exotic instruments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom