Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
POPMatt said:
I get a bit tired of the criticism of the "repetitiveness" in WITS. For some songs, repetitiveness works best at driving home the point, especially in the chorus (i.e. "All You Need is Love"). By repeating "Can't you see what love has done?" Bono is making the same point Lennon does in All You Need Is Love. Love is the most powerful and essential thing in this world. If every U2 song had this repetitiveness for the chorus, I'd be more critical. But in this case, I think it fits perfectly with the message and theme of the song. My two cents...

Oh My God. You are right! Window In The Skies is basically a total re-hash of All You Need Is Love.. down to the beatlesque harmonies and the repetition! :crazy:

If WITS gets to be in the same position as All you need is love someday, I won't complain.

POPMatt said:
I get a bit tired of the criticism of the "repetitiveness" in WITS. For some songs, repetitiveness works best at driving home the point, especially in the chorus (i.e. "All You Need is Love"). By repeating "Can't you see what love has done?" Bono is making the same point Lennon does in All You Need Is Love. Love is the most powerful and essential thing in this world. If every U2 song had this repetitiveness for the chorus, I'd be more critical. But in this case, I think it fits perfectly with the message and theme of the song. My two cents...

:up:

I have been on U2 18 site and listened to Windows and boy dose it sound very raw compared to the versions that I have heard on radio and the clean version that I have.:eyebrow:

oceane said:
This is what I posted 2 days ago in one of the other threads but I'll put it again here because it's nice to have a clear, review only thread.

OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-Favourite album AB, closely followed by JT.
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

Window in the Skies: I LOVE IT!
-It's a fantastic pop song.
-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-GREAT production, GREAT drums, GREAT melody.
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

Only time will really tell, but really so far I am impressed.

I love U2

And two days later I would add:

-Like other people have said it's one of the best U2 songs to sing along to.
-I think it could be huge live, possibly more than anything off the last two albums except BD. I mean huge mostly in the sense of reaching to everyone in the audience. And I totally agree with others who said that in order to become a classic it must be one of the 'big' songs live.

Oceane, you rock.
The thing about Windows is, I can't stop listening to it. On my iPod it always preceeds either Gloria from Red Rocks or Bad from Rattle and Hum - both of which are obviously classic; and the latter of which is a performance that I would rank among U2's best ever. And that's saying... well, more than a lot :) And somehow it holds up. God these guys are good.

POPMatt said:

Right on, Matt!:up:

To be honest I'm really dissapointed with the song. It does remind me of a Beatles type song in ways but it comes off as a band who's lost it's will to rock. I don't know. I've never really been dissapointed by a U2 song before and I'm not saying I dislike Window in the Skies but it just comes off as "another slow U2 song" and more fodder for those who think U2 can't rock. Another ballad isn't really what I was hoping for and especially not an average ballad at best. Not one of U2's finest pieces of work that's for sure.

U2 "has lost its will to rock"....

Henry Rollins has been saying that since Joshua Tree!.... LOL!

cstar said:
U2 "has lost its will to rock"....

Henry Rollins has been saying that since Joshua Tree!.... LOL!

You know what's funny is after I typed it, it then rang a bell and I knew I had heard the phrase before. Couldn't place it though. I thought about rephrasing it so as to not come off looking like I was copying another's opinion but I just said fuck it(I'm badass tha way lol). It's what I typed and what I felt. So yes I knew it had been used before. Sorry and thanks for the reminder. I honestly couldn't recall where I had heard it.:)

Hallucination said:

You know what's funny is after I typed it, it then rang a bell and I knew I had heard the phrase before. Couldn't place it though. I thought about rephrasing it so as to not come off looking like I was copying another's opinion but I just said fuck it(I'm badass tha way lol). It's what I typed and what I felt. So yes I knew it had been used before. Sorry and thanks for the reminder. I honestly couldn't recall where I had heard it.:)

No need for apologies... :) My point was that this has been said about u2 for a long time... and I completely disagree!!! :wink:

good song

I don't think of it as one of their most spectacular offerings but very good still

I was hoping for something more alo.ng the lines of "hands that built america". Hands seems so much better than WITS. WITS seems confusing to me.

Well I finely listened to an official version (u218) and I must say it has a real Jazz come Swing Sinatra/Beatles fill to it. When I heard it off the radio (Virgin) it sounded more airy. But the U218 version sound has a much more raw/live fill to it. I was a bit harsh on Larry when I first put in my review but that has now changed. Larry performance is quite simply beautiful. Well, to me it is.

I originally gave it a 7.5/10; but now 8/10.

LARRY:applaud:

Somebody had mentioned a few days ago about windows being very up front religiously. That was said when we didn't have the correct lyrics. Now, that U2.com has the correct lyrics up I think the religious element is even more evident.

When i first heard it on the radio i didnt like it,thought it was way to poppy. But the album version is a bit more raw and im starting to like it now!

the album version of WITS seems like a completely different take than the single version. I prefer the single version.

It is a unique, unusual song,with great music and rhythm, but I have to tell I would prefer a better singing part of it...Bono has some difficulties to sing these high sounds....:huh:

mo786 said:
Doesn't remind me of the Beatles at all - it does remind me of COLDPLAY !!

Ironic given that many think Coldplay copy elements of U2s sound.

A good song but not among U2s best.

This song is a bit similar to some songs of The Beatles, and to U2's Mercy but besides it is UNIQUE because opf the 6/8 rhythm......

Anyway, Coldplay does copy or tries to copy U2's former songs...awful....:eyebrow: :mad:

Finally heard this song this morning...and while I'm not initially blown away, I really do like it. The lyrics and the music are wonderful. :heart:

Ah Bonochick, it's not the kind of song to blow you away. Like most U2 songs it gets under your skin and makes it way into your subconscious and then one day you wake up humming the melody. It's a pretty good tune. :yes:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Ah Bonochick, it's not the kind of song to blow you away. Like most U2 songs it gets under your skin and makes it way into your subconscious and then one day you wake up humming the melody. It's a pretty good tune. :yes:

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Not mindblowing but decent tune.

Originally posted by mo786
Doesn't remind me of the Beatles at all - it does remind me of COLDPLAY !!

Ironic given that many think Coldplay copy elements of U2s sound.

A good song but not among U2s best.

I couldn't agree more. When I first heard "Window" I immediatly thought Coldplay.

Don't get me wrong the song is brilliant, it is just taking a while to grow on me. Not really one of my favorite U2 sounds. A little more on the pop side than I care for

Back
Top Bottom