Song Name Speculation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will never, ever, ever understand how a title can be lousy. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And to judge unheard U2 songs by a rumored title, and declare them "shit" is just...I don't know...I mean...it's as if people have never actually listened to U2 and how their titles relate to the sonngs?

I don't remember saying the songs themselves will be terrible, the titles just look a little lame, is all.

It's a harmless statement in and of itself.

I think that generally titles are not so easy to find. It's difficult to find a title that fits the song, kind of sums it up and sounds original at the same time. There must be a reason why so many great paintings remained untitled. I'm a writer myself and I find that giving titles to stories or poems is the most difficult thing. It's something I don't like to do, because most of the time I have to think very hard about a fitting title and I feel it's just not genuine any more. There are times when the title would come easily and before the actual act of writing. I can understand how people can change titles over and over again, it's really a tricky thing.

And Bono said once that he's mainly improvising and just writing down what comes to his mind, that there are a lot of things that just form in his mouth, and that doesn't mean that they'll really end up on the album like that. So I really think that, based on these supposed titles, we cannot judge any of the new songs.

And about the love thing: I honestly think that it is a little radical to say U2 should not use Love in their songs/titles, though I agree that some of these supposed titles sound a little corny and naive. But then again, other great songs also have "bad" titles. I just think that things with love come naturally. We've had a lot of discussion about Bono using stuff like "kneel" and "soul" a lot of times. These are very typical and kind of trademark motives for the music of U2. Other artists have these "keywords" as well, if you listen to other artists' music, you'll probably find that there are certain phrases that repeat themselves in a lot of songs. It's kind of shaping them as artists.

That's why I say Love is something I associate with U2. It may be a little naive, but I don't care, because honestly I don't think the band cares about this as well. Bono is on a point now where he's just trying to speak his heart and soul, to be genuine.

Well ,at least we know now that one of the song on the new album is call "The Cedars of Lebanon" according to Daniel Lanois's new interview in this week "Voir".It's a Montreal French publication.So for those who understand french:)

Voir.ca / Erreur

In the interview he says pretty much what he said on the Dave Fanning interview a few weeks back ,that it's one of their most inovative album,exploring new sound.And that the new song "The Cedars of Lebanon" was inspirer by Jimi Hendrix,so we'll see.

The interview was done for his 4 nights stand that is taking place here in Montreal next week (July1 to 4) for the Montreal international Jazz Festival.And I'm going for night 3 and 4 actually,so we'll see if he'll mention anything about the new album during one of the 2 show's i'll go.

:)

1. !
2. $ (the single)
3. *
4. #
5. %
6. @
7. +
8. $$ (the second single)
9. @!
10. #%
11. ( )
12. =
13. [ ] (bonus track)

Well ,at least we know now that one of the song on the new album is call "The Cedars of Lebanon" according to Daniel Lanois's new interview in this week "Voir".It's a Montreal French publication.So for those who understand french:)

Voir.ca / Erreur

In the interview he says pretty much what he said on the Dave Fanning interview a few weeks back ,that it's one of their most inovative album,exploring new sound.And that the new song "The Cedars of Lebanon" was inspirer by Jimi Hendrix,so we'll see.

The interview was done for his 4 nights stand that is taking place here in Montreal next week (July1 to 4) for the Montreal international Jazz Festival.And I'm going for night 3 and 4 actually,so we'll see if he'll mention anything about the new album during one of the 2 show's i'll go.

The Cedars of Lebanon, eh?

Inspired by Hendrix, you say?

I'm down with it.

]

Whoa, awesome

that's a cool title

and hendrix? fuck yes.

I think it would be best if the actual words 'Cedars of Lebanon' don't appear in the song in any way, shape, or form.

So if Lanois keeps spilling these song names, does that mean they have the track listing picked out? or at least the songs to go on the album?

WHOA.

Nice, but hopefully not the lead single.

We barely know anything about this song at all. What makes you not want it to be the lead single? :huh:

also good point popacrobat. my guess is they do, or at least they've decided most of them.

We barely know anything about this song at all. What makes you not want it to be the lead single? :huh:

It sounds WAY too porentous to be the first thing out of the gate.

Looking at the band's track record, I'd be surprised if they didn't go with something a little lighter-sounding, or at least "cooler".

But the title makes me wonder if they're treading on lyrical ground already covered in Love & Peace or Else, which was heavily Zeppelin-influenced. This time it's Hendrix?

^ In the edge guitar clips we heard a riff similair to that of LEd Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love'

WHOA.

Nice, but hopefully not the lead single.

OMG i really hope its not a lead single infact i hope its not a song on the album. Like totaly its the worst song U2 has ever put out, its worse then grace!!! OMG I am going to not buy this album altogether and I will never see another live concert of them. Dang this song sucks so much!!! grrr

It sounds WAY too porentous to be the first thing out of the gate.

Looking at the band's track record, I'd be surprised if they didn't go with something a little lighter-sounding, or at least "cooler".

But the title makes me wonder if they're treading on lyrical ground already covered in Love & Peace or Else, which was heavily Zeppelin-influenced. This time it's Hendrix?

To behonest when i heard the coldplay tracklisting of their new album i thought most of the song names were terrible and sounded cheesey. Cemeteries of London? Thats not a cool title, violet hill? I mean if you heard a u2 song called violet hill, wouldn't you think it would be the softest song ever? Yeah, but for coldplay it ended up being a pretty rockin' song. Same with cemeteries of london. I'm sure once we get all the final tracklistings the song titles will become less stupid...

To behonest when i heard the coldplay tracklisting of their new album i thought most of the song names were terrible and sounded cheesey. Cemeteries of London? Thats not a cool title, violet hill? I mean if you heard a u2 song called violet hill, wouldn't you think it would be the softest song ever? Yeah, but for coldplay it ended up being a pretty rockin' song. Same with cemeteries of london. I'm sure once we get all the final tracklistings the song titles will become less stupid...

I've always liked those titles...

Cedars could be cool, but here's to the words in the title not being a large part of the song's lyrical content.

I'd like to see u2 get more punctuational. They used the "!" on Achtung Baby! and thats about it....

So is this what we have for the new album?:

1. Mercy
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Cedars of Lebanon
4. Moments of Surrender
5. Love is All We Have Left
6. Lead Me In The Way I Should Go

???

Lebanon and Surrender are the only ones confirmed though. (and mybe One Bird and For your love, from the U2.com Morocco reports).

These seem very faith inspired titles.

Back
Top Bottom