Realistically, how many songs could end up on this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
According to atu2.com, here are some contenders. I have a feeling only 3 or so of these will actually appear on the album in anycase. Nonetheless, U2 have been recording now for so long, I still feel this album could have the most songs on any U2 studio album to date. Here are 13 songs we know for sure. There are others of course that have been mentioned (and/or recorded by fans) here and there without titles.

1. "The Cedars of Lebanon"
2. "Moment of Surrender"
3. "For Your Love"
4. "One Bird"
5. "No Line On The Horizon"
6. "If I Could Live My Life Again"
7. "Love Is All We Have Left"
8. "North Star"
9. "Mercy"
10. "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go"
11. "You Can't Give Away Your Heart"

The beach clips:

12. 402
13. 404 ("All My Life")

It seems as though we could easily have an album of 15 songs. I recall Bono or Edge stating they probably have enough songs for two albums. The question is, would U2 ever consider releasing more songs than they need to if it wouldn't be a sound business decision? In a business sense, would there be an advantage to releasing 15 or 16 songs on an album instead of 11 or 12?

Realistically, how many songs do you see on this album given all the recordings and taking everything into account? Let's not forget, the older songs that didn't make it onto Bomb likely would have been a very different style than the recent sessions with Lanois and Eno, especially with all the recent talk of innovation. Nonetheless, could we see the most songs ever on a U2 album if they decide to create a varied album full of different styles? Or how about a double album?

Too much mystery! I actually kind of like it this way...

The band has pretty much said they don't like an album to be longer than about 50 minutes. They cut Mercy from Bomb because they felt it made the album too long although they do put bonus tracks on in some markets. I don't think they are too keen on releasing a double album but they may revert back to the JT strategy of putting other new songs out with the singles or they could release a second album in a shorter period of time.

Dana

I don't really think this album is any different from any other in the sense of how many songs they've been working on.

Titles mean nothing. If we were given the title 'Always' and 'Beautiful Day' before the release ATYCLB no one would know they were derived from the same song. So who knows? :shrug:

They had enough to do a double album for JT, but they didn't.

Singles are a fairly meaningless thing these days, and by extension so are B-sides. And as far as a quick follow up album, I have a bridge listed on craigslist for anyone that is holding their breath waiting for one.

The only songs that are real certainties from what I've read are Moment of Surrender, No Line on the Horizon and Cedars of Lebanon. Any or all of the others could be on, we don't know, but those three have been discussed recently and seem like they're definitely on. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the others show up.

Realistically, I'm expecting an album of no more than 12 tracks.

U2 has never put more than 12 songs on any of their albums (Passengers is excluded from this because, though I consider it a part of U2's discography, it's not really a U2 album per se) so, realistically, no more than 12.

You mean how many songs do I think are good enough to be on the album?

Maybe one or two. And I doubt we'll ever hear them.

11, maybe 12.

If they wanted a double album, they would have done it with JT (luckily the album's better for it) - and I doubt they'll do a follow up quickly. My guess is they're releasing the Eno/Lanois/Morocco material now, while saving Rick Rubin sessions for a later album.

Ten song album, with a few longer 6 minute tracks in there.

1. Moment Of Surrender
2. Mercy
4. Cedars Of Lebanon
7. No Line On The Horizon

I'm hoping for 12.
Both of the last albums suffered because of cutting the tracks down to 11, Fast Cars and The Ground Beneath Her Feet would have been some of the best songs on those albums.

The band has pretty much said they don't like an album to be longer than about 50 minutes. They cut Mercy from Bomb because they felt it made the album too long although they do put bonus tracks on in some markets. I don't think they are too keen on releasing a double album but they may revert back to the JT strategy of putting other new songs out with the singles or they could release a second album in a shorter period of time.

Dana

That would be damn idiotic! My sense was the band excluded "Mercy" because it was too dark or maybe unfinished, not due to length. The greater the length, the better, if you ask me. I haven't listened to an album from start to finish since I was in my early teens anyway.

I hate this bonus track rubbish because to get the lyrics, one has to shell out even more. It cost me $28 to get HTDAAB with the "Fast Cars" lyrics because the band made the selfish move to not print lyrics or photos for the deluxe edition.

Five. They're going prog this time.

Trust me. I wouldn't lie to you. :angel:

I'm hoping for 12.
Both of the last albums suffered because of cutting the tracks down to 11, Fast Cars and The Ground Beneath Her Feet would have been some of the best songs on those albums.

I tend to disagree. I think the last two albums suffered more because there were bad tracks on there that were worse than 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' and 'Fast Cars' and so should have been replaced by them instead. I'm all for a ten-track 40 minute album if that's what it takes to make it a coherent piece of work. Most (though not all of course) of the albums that I love the best have nine or ten tracks on there (indeed only eight in the case of Astral Weeks and Led Zeppelin's IV), but then Achtung Baby has twelve so I guess that might scupper that theory a bit.

I hope 12, plus a bonus track for the special edition.
A double album would be welcomed too though :)

But to be realistic: it will probably be released on vinyl as well, so it must fit.

Most of all I hope it will be a real album from start to finish, like JT and AB, and not just a collection of songs. I have high hopes for this, given what we know.

I hate this bonus track rubbish because to get the lyrics, one has to shell out even more. It cost me $28 to get HTDAAB with the "Fast Cars" lyrics because the band made the selfish move to not print lyrics or photos for the deluxe edition.

You're still griping about this theory of yours? :doh:

The link to download the lyrics was written in the deluxe edition. And guess what? It was free...

I'd like to see one of two things:

- An album of 9-11 songs that thematically fit together into a superbly cohesive piece of work

OR

- An album of 13-15 songs that fit together thematically, but also includes two or three short b-side calibre songs in there for variety. But when I say "b-side," I mean something along the lines of "The Three Sunrises," as opposed to something like 'Peace on Earth' or WILATW.

Atleast 12 and then surprise us with another quick blast of 12 mid tour! :drool: Yea right! I think they're saving a lot of material for a mondo box set down the road!

Back
Top Bottom