Q Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeuk

War Child
Probably desrves its own thread if it isn't to be lost amongst all the other reviews but one of the adverts for NLOTH in The Oberserver has a quote from Q: "Their Greatest Album *****" Mike

You can't access their reviews online, so someone will need to transcribe it or scan it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at U2 getting great reviews across the board, but for some reason I am. It's been universal acclaim thus far.

Whenever I see a 5-star review from Q I can never forget that they also gave five stars to Be Here Now, X&Y and Reveal.

I got a lot of good music based on their recommendations, but as far as big "event" releases go I wouldn't trust them one bit. Not that I trust any reviewer really but I wouldn't trust Q more than usual, :)

REM's Reveal? That absolutely deserved it.

But point taken about Q reviews. They're willing to put their foot in their mouth to risk making a bold claim on a popular album. Maybe this one will pan out, and all the 4 star reviews will look off in a couple years? :wink:

Mike--if you have a copy, would you mind typing it up or scanning it?

What did Q give the last 2 albums?

Not sure about ATYCLB, but HTDAAB got 4 out of 5 stars. I'm sure I've seen Pop being referred to in previous Q editions as having been given 3 out of 5 as well.

I'll believe it when I see it though, for all we know this could just been referring to the Q interview with the band back in Jan. I mean, how would The Observer get hold of Q's review for a magazine edition not due out for another couple of weeks??

Does it actually say "Their Greatest Album *****"? Because that reads to me like the end part is cut and will probably says something like "Their Greatest Album since....." etc.

Not sure about ATYCLB, but HTDAAB got 4 out of 5 stars. I'm sure I've seen Pop being referred to in previous Q editions as having been given 3 out of 5 as well.

I'll believe it when I see it though, for all we know this could just been referring to the Q interview with the band back in Jan. I mean, how would The Observer get hold of Q's review for a magazine edition not due out for another couple of weeks??

ATYCLB also got 4 out of 5 - Google says.

Does it actually say "Their Greatest Album *****"? Because that reads to me like the end part is cut and will probably says something like "Their Greatest Album since....." etc.

"Their Greatest Album since How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"

Well I just the paper so shoulda looked before posting lol. It's "Their Greatest Album" ***** Q Magazine. The ***** are outside the quotation marks so that does make it look like 5 stars :applaud:

This doesn't seem so strange after being given all of that access in the January issue. It's like the Grammys. Not uncommon for magazines to do this after an artist has put out. I mean, they had their own microsite for the album...they would look like tools if they didn't give it a special review.

Well I just the paper so shoulda looked before posting lol. It's "Their Greatest Album" ***** Q Magazine. The ***** are outside the quotation marks so that does make it look like 5 stars :applaud:

Well big big call from Q if thats true. The other 9 songs must be classics as GOYB and NLOTH 2 are average in my book.

Why is it so hard for some of you to just accept that this album is getting good reviews? :huh:

GOYB and NLOTH 2 are both great songs, Rolling Stone gave the GOYB single 4 stars, so it's hard to imagine the album will get anything less then that.

This doesn't seem so strange after being given all of that access in the January issue. It's like the Grammys. Not uncommon for magazines to do this after an artist has put out. I mean, they had their own microsite for the album...they would look like tools if they didn't give it a special review.

Nah..........I don't think it quite works like that at least not with Q and I've been buying it since it first came out. I've seen them give cover features to artists and then give them 3 stars. That's not to say they don't get it wrong sometimes!

Why is it so hard for some of you to just accept that this album is getting good reviews? :huh:

GOYB and NLOTH 2 are both great songs, Rolling Stone gave the GOYB single 4 stars, so it's hard to imagine the album will get anything less then that.

Anyone who gives GOYB 4 stars is deluded. The video gets 4 stars but the song itself doesn't deserve 4. I like positive reviews but calling it their greatest album is just plain silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom