No Line On The Horizon (Alternate Tracklist)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sea:

01. No Line On The Horizon II
02. Breathe
03. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
04. Stand Up Comedy
05. Get On Your Boots
06. Fez-Being Born

Sky:

01. No Line On The Horizon I
02. Magnificent
03. Moment Of Surrender
04. Unknown Caller
05. White As Snow
06. Cedars Of Lebanon

:up:

i like this. makes it a true concept album.

Here is mine- the big switches that I made were putting magnificent after moment and unknown and ending with white as snow...

Fez/Being born
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
I'll go crazy...
Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon
White as Snow

01. Fez - Being Born
02. Get On Your Boots (with intro)
03. No Line On The Horizon (II)
04. Unknown Caller
05. Winter
06. White As Snow
07. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
08. Magnificent
09. Stand Up Comedy
10. Cedars Of Lebanon
11. Breathe
12. Moment Of Surrender

I REALLY like this one. I don't know if it's better than the original one but it's pretty damn strong. I think the original NLOTH is better than the remix but on this tracklist the remix feels better, specially following GOYB. I particluarly like Unknown Caller --> Winter --> White As Snow --> IGCIIDGCT. This tracklist flows great.

I already posted this in another thread, but will do it here as well. I attempted to stay as close to the original as possible.

My problem with other people having Fez as the opener is because it's not a very inviting track, and doesn't have a hook to draw the listener in. This would make it rather uncommon among U2 albums; even Zooropa is catchy by comparison.

So:

1. No Line On The Horizon (hybrid mix)
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
---
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Fez--Being Born
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

Though one "side" has 5 songs and the other 7, the total running times are only a minute apart.

While Winter isn't loved by many and is theoretically incomplete, I don't think it's any more troubled a piece than a couple other songs that DID make the cut, and in my opinion it fits much more thematically and tonally with the first four songs on the album. This is not true of Crazy Tonight, and if you look at previous U2 albums there really isn't a track 5 (the "meat" of the album) that is this lightweight. So in my listing Crazy Tonight now follows the other two "lightweight" songs on side 2 instead of leading into them. The relative mellowness of the song makes an easier lead-in to Fez compared with the raucous Stand Up Comedy.

I already posted this in another thread, but will do it here as well. I attempted to stay as close to the original as possible.

My problem with other people having Fez as the opener is because it's not a very inviting track, and doesn't have a hook to draw the listener in. This would make it rather uncommon among U2 albums; even Zooropa is catchy by comparison.

So:

2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
---
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Fez--Being Born
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

Though one "side" has 5 songs and the other 7, the total running times are only a minute apart.

While Winter isn't loved by many and is theoretically incomplete, I don't think it's any more troubled a piece than a couple other songs that DID make the cut, and in my opinion it fits much more thematically and tonally with the first four songs on the album. This is not true of Crazy Tonight, and if you look at previous U2 albums there really isn't a track 5 (the "meat" of the album) that is this lightweight. So in my listing Crazy Tonight now follows the other two "lightweight" songs on side 2 instead of leading into them. The relative mellowness of the song makes an easier lead-in to Fez compared with the raucous Stand Up Comedy.

i like. i like a lot! :up:

are you using the Extended Intro w/GOYB?

1. F-BB
2. NLOTH2
3. WAS
4. Breathe
5. Winter
6. MOS
7. GOYB
8. Magnificent
9. CT
10. UC
11. SUC
12. COL

2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
---
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Fez--Being Born
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

I've been trying for days to figure out a way to fit Winter into the tracklist without ruining the "flow" of the album. I think you just solved the problem for me . . . The organ at the end of Unkown Caller actually blends perfectly with the beginning of Winter. You just need to use the extended intro to soften the transition from Winter to Boots. And you're right about Crazy Tonight fitting better next to Fez.

The only change I would make is that I would drop Stand Up. I like having a kind of lightweight "intermission" in the middle of this album. It keeps the mood from getting too somber . . . but there's just one pop song too many. Two would be enough, so I would make Stand Up a B-side.

Now, if we just had a FINISHED mix for Winter . . .

2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
---
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Fez--Being Born
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

I like it, but I feel that UC and Winter are a little too similar of a mood- like the ringing guitars, the long song length, etc...

even though its not really on the album, I like this same playlist by putting "beach sequence" from OS1 where you put winter, it goes really nicely with UC. and I remove SUC to kind of dull down the pop trio.

here's mine

try this guys, i think this works great

boots ( with the intro)
horizon 2 ( this fits great behind boots & before magnificent)
magnificent
fez
crazy
winter
surrender
unknown caller
breathe
comedy
white as snow
Lebanon

Oh, is there that hidden track called Boots?
My thought was that while GOYB is a good, fun track, it does not really fit with the rest of the CD (just my thought so please no condemnation). In such a situation, including it as a hidden on unlisted final track can be quite effective. Arguably, the best example of this is "Train in Vain" by the Clash on London Calling.

So:

2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
---
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Fez--Being Born
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

i tried this one again last night and really enjoyed it. for some reason, even though they're still together, GOYB, CT, and SUC were easier to swallow.

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificant
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Winter
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. Get On Your Boots
8. FEZ-Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Ceders Of Lebenon

My thought was that while GOYB is a good, fun track, it does not really fit with the rest of the CD (just my thought so please no condemnation). In such a situation, including it as a hidden on unlisted final track can be quite effective. Arguably, the best example of this is "Train in Vain" by the Clash on London Calling.
Ok, I can understand your point of view. :)

i know...i know....this album is so good, it almost seems sac religious to put it in an alternate tracklist. but i have always found it fun to make alternate tracklists.....kind of change history.

this is something i tried last night, and it worked very well. i based it on a rumored tracklist i saw in early January. obviously, White As Snow wasn't listed, but Every Breaking Wave was, so i just swapped those songs. i also swapped Fez - Being Born for Tripoli, since U2.com confirmed that they are the same song. the only thing that frustrated me is that i just couldn't find a home for Stand Up Comedy in this tracklist. personally, that's fine because it's my least favorite song on the album. but if you're a huge fan of Stand Up Comedy, then this may not be for you.

here's what i came up with:

1. Fez - Being Born
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Get On Your Boots
7. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
8. Winter
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

a couple of notes:

- Fez - Being Born is such a great opener. it really reminds me of Zooropa in this spot.

- i couldn't split up the Magnificent-MOS-UC trio. it's just too strong.

- NLOTH and GOYB flow especially well, and IGCIIDGCT works very well in the 7th slot

- tracks 8-11 are gold

now please don't diss it until you try it. :wink:

this is still the tracklist i use the most.

I love the Linear running order. It really distributes the Lillywhite stuff in with the eno stuff well. I replaced Winter with Crazy Tonight. For the people who complain the album is boring, I think this mix supplies enough dramatic highs and lows to keep people interested.

Unknown Caller
Breathe
I'll Go Crazy if I don't Go Crazy Tonight
White as Snow
No Line on the Horizon
Fez-Being Born
Magnificent
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
Moment of Surrender
Cedars of Lebanon

With WavePad I´ve separated FEZ from Being Born and made a short Winter (the intro and the opera-outro), and voila!, a killer has emerged:

Unknown Caller
Crazy Tonight
FEZ
Magnificent
Breathe
Moment Of Surrender
No Line On The Horizon
Cedars Of Lebanon
Being Born
Get On Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
White As Snow
Short Winter

Sorry if this one has already been said...

1. Fez
2. NLOTH
3. Crazy Tonight
4. Moment
5. Boots (long intro)
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. Magnificent (the ending of SUC and the beginning of Mag. would work well together)
8. White As Snow
9. Breathe
10. Unknown Caller
11. Cedars of Lebanon

The original tracklist had Fez/Being Born as the first track. But they changed their minds, finally decided on a mix of NLOTH (the song), took Winter out and added Crazy...

From the interviews I've heard and read, they wanted to be sure to get the track order that was best and felt they hadn't quite done that the last few albums. While others may differ, I think they did a pretty good job this time.

But to each their own. That is the best thing about the iTunes browser, you can make them play in any order you wish. (Mine'z has "Winter" in it too)

i know...i know....this album is so good, it almost seems sac religious to put it in an alternate tracklist. but i have always found it fun to make alternate tracklists.....kind of change history.

this is something i tried last night, and it worked very well. i based it on a rumored tracklist i saw in early January. obviously, White As Snow wasn't listed, but Every Breaking Wave was, so i just swapped those songs. i also swapped Fez - Being Born for Tripoli, since U2.com confirmed that they are the same song. the only thing that frustrated me is that i just couldn't find a home for Stand Up Comedy in this tracklist. personally, that's fine because it's my least favorite song on the album. but if you're a huge fan of Stand Up Comedy, then this may not be for you.

here's what i came up with:

1. Fez - Being Born
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Get On Your Boots
7. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
8. Winter
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

a couple of notes:

- Fez - Being Born is such a great opener. it really reminds me of Zooropa in this spot.

- i couldn't split up the Magnificent-MOS-UC trio. it's just too strong.

- NLOTH and GOYB flow especially well, and IGCIIDGCT works very well in the 7th slot

- tracks 8-11 are gold

now please don't diss it until you try it. :wink:

The original tracklist had Fez/Being Born as the first track. But they changed their minds, finally decided on a mix of NLOTH (the song), took Winter out and added Crazy...

From the interviews I've heard and read, they wanted to be sure to get the track order that was best and felt they hadn't quite done that the last few albums. While others may differ, I think they did a pretty good job this time.

But to each their own. That is the best thing about the iTunes browser, you can make them play in any order you wish. (Mine'z has "Winter" in it too)

and i agree with you. i still think the tracklist that the band chose is the best, though i place Winter right between Breathe and Cedars.

i'm just obsessed with alternate tracklists. :wink:

I think I've finally cracked the code on this one so that I can enjoy the 'flow' of the album much better now. The track list as it sounds to me is too stop start, stop-goooooo - stop- stop - stop - ROCK! - stop

This works for me...

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Unknown Caller
4. Magnificent
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. Fez - Being Born
7. Breathe
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Stand Up Comedy
10. White As Snow
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

I was trying this out last night. For me, NLOTH must come before Fez, which must come after Boots. Not necessarily in that direct order, though.

1. No Line on the Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Get on Your Boots
4. Fez-Being Born
5. Moment of Surrender
6. Unknown Caller
7. I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
8. White as Snow
9. Breathe
10. Cedars of Lebanon

FEZ-Being Born

NLOTH (Coach Mix)

GOYB (w/Long Intro)

Magnificent

MOS

White As Snow

Crazy Tonight

SUC

Cedars of Lebanon

Breathe

Unknown Caller

No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Fez-Being Born
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Breathe
White As Snow
Cedars Of Lebanon

you know, one thing i tried last night is just a very small change. i actually think the album works better if GOYB and SUC switch places.

try it.

Back
Top Bottom