New Edge interview 11/20/2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said, the papers, not Edge, mention the February release, so that's definitely not set in stone.

My prognosis is single in February, album mid-April, tour beginning early May until late June in North America and then European tour starting in mid-July.

Like I said, the papers, not Edge, mention the February release, so that's definitely not set in stone.

My prognosis is single in February, album mid-April, tour beginning early May until late June in North America and then European tour starting in mid-July.

:hyper:

The "two halves" quote really makes me think that it's going to be a double album. After all this waiting and hype, it almost has to be a double album; waiting this long just to get eleven songs would seem a little anticlimactic as opposed to the idea of two disks. (But I'll take it either way!)

I hope they said that it'll be out in February because Edge told them so and not because they are just guessing.

Also, I find it interesting that the material that'll be on the album is post-2006. That means they've been working on most of it for only about two years. That's really not bad. I might have to retract my "U2-has-OCD" theory. ;)

Also, I find it interesting that the material that'll be on the album is post-2006. That means they've been working on most of it for only about two years. That's really not bad. I might have to retract my "U2-has-OCD" theory. ;)

yes, exactly! This is what so many fans here just can't seem to grasp...it's painful to hear people complain about how they've been working on this album for "almost 5 years!!!" :blahblah:

If the new album is split like "Sea and Sky". The forum will be split between 'Sea Siders' and 'Sky Riders' I imagine :lol:

if Unknown Caller is the only song directly derived from the Fez sessions, it's a good bet to be beach clip one. that group chorus in the clip was clearly heard in Lanois' documentary.

we've already concluded that clip 402 is going to be set aside for the spiderman project....unless something crazy happens...but it's pretty obvious now...supposedly there was a title going around for the project "Boy Falls From the Sky" or something close to that, and you can clearly hear Bono singing that exact line in clip 402..so I wouldn't count on it making the album or a b-side or anything....but I'd guess it will be included in the spiderman project..
GODAMMIT SPIDERMAN! :mad: You ruin everything!

yes, exactly! This is what so many fans here just can't seem to grasp...it's painful to hear people complain about how they've been working on this album for "almost 5 years!!!" :blahblah:

additionally, the Vertigo tour didn't end till 12-2006. Granted, they usually do work on material during tours, but this was a bit different I'm sure with family illness.

Some very exciting stuff here. I pray that February holds true. February is a miserable month and a new U2 album being released in it would be the hotness.

I also like that The Edge used the words "shit" and "fucking" in the interview! Wonderful use of language from our man Edge.

I still reckon that a digital surprise release ala Bloc Partay and Radiohead is not outta the question, it's not as if they're gonna tell us it's happening.....

Great interview with Edge. Since it appears to be be getting close now, I strongly believe we'll get:

Single released to radio: January 9 (Friday)
Physical release of single: February 7 (Saturday)
Album released: March 7 (Saturday)

These are (within a day or two) the dates they used for Discotheque/Pop back in 1997.

U2's previous release dates have been clustered:
March - 4 albums (incl MDH)
July - 1 album
Oct/Nov - 12 albums (incl UABRS and best of)

I can't see them entering new territory (ie April/May) for the release of this album. So in my view it's March or maybe July. Hopefully we won't have to wait til October!

i believe Bono did tell a fan that the band would consider trying to get a single out for Xmas though. if the album does come out in February, we'll hear a single in December.

i do advise everyone to be cautious. just because Mojo Magazine said February does not make this set in stone. so don't be crushed if it end up being March or April. in fact, i'm still 90% sure it will be March. either way, we're getting close.

Well, if I remember correctly I read something that quote Bono as saying that if the release of the album was up to him he'd have it out in 2008. So it sounds like he's getting over ruled by someone....Adam? Larry? :hmm:

I think all bets are off, though we are definitely much closer because we are hearing more specific info about the music and the album in interviews and it seems like we are getting some U2.com clips revealing more info as well. IDK, maybe I'm just being overoptimistic. I just have a strong feeling that we should be hearing new music very soon.

The "two halves" quote really makes me think that it's going to be a double album. After all this waiting and hype, it almost has to be a double album; waiting this long just to get eleven songs would seem a little anticlimactic as opposed to the idea of two disks.

possibilities are:

- standard album, 1CD, 10-12 songs, ~40-50min long
- "epanded" album, 1CD, 15-17 songs, ~50-60+min long, maybe some instrumentals
- double album, 2CDs, 7-9 songs on each CD, ~30min long each
- two albums in one package, 2CDs, 10-12 songs on each CD, ~40-50min long each

Rarely does a band have a great double album. Actually, I can't think of any double album that wouldn't improve if its selected best songs were on one album only, and the rest was released as B-Sides or as a bonus disc.

U2 coudn't do a "great" double album at their creative peak - when they were doing The Joshua Tree (I love its B-sides, but I don't think a double album, as Bono wanted it to be at first, would be a smart idea). First and foremost it should be about quality and cohesiveness, and not about quantity. The last example of a band that late in their career released a double album was RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, which I didn't like at all.

I think Radiohead did it best after their 2-year long In Rainbows sessions - they released a great 10-song album and a second bonus disc to go with it (which was very good, but the tracks were inferior to the ones on the real album IMO). What's wrong with B-sides, anyway?

I enjoyed stadium arcadium,i can still listen to it all now. I cant see U2 releasing a double album though,and im cool with that as long as they release another album within 2 years?

Rarely does a band have a great double album. Actually, I can't think of any double album that wouldn't improve if its selected best songs were on one album only, and the rest was released as B-Sides or as a bonus disc.

U2 coudn't do a "great" double album at their creative peak - when they were doing The Joshua Tree (I love its B-sides, but I don't think a double album, as Bono wanted it to be at first, would be a smart idea). First and foremost it should be about quality and cohesiveness, and not about quantity. The last example of a band that late in their career released a double album was RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, which I didn't like at all.

I think Radiohead did it best after their 2-year long In Rainbows sessions - they released a great 10-song album and a second bonus disc to go with it (which was very good, but the tracks were inferior to the ones on the real album IMO). What's wrong with B-sides, anyway?

This is right on. I have no idea how anyone has taken "double album" from this interview (or any others for that matter). This is especially true now that we have confirmation that all Rubin music is being shelved for the forseeable future. Quality over quantity, please.

i can think of several GREAT double albums one of them including "The Wall"

i can think of several GREAT double albums one of them including "The Wall"

Exactly my first candidate for an uneven double album which would have been a stellar classic in my eyes if it was reduced to one CD. And it was released at the pinnacle of Pink Floyd's career. Imagine The Division Bell as a double album - that would probably be the equivalent of U2 releasing one right now.

I think that this article strongly suggests a SINGLE album as opposed to a DOUBLE album. You wouldn't need 2 more songs unless you were putting out a single album. If they needed to post pone the release of a double album because of a couple of songs they would have released part 1 first, work on the second part and release it later....which they still might do, but I doubt it.

In the end I think that we're pretty much getting a single album out of this.

Back
Top Bottom