MERGED ----> New Album Update! + BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derrick_rossign

Acrobat
New Album Update!

found this on the u2start.com forums here http://u2start.com/topic/2972/

Bono: 'U2 Fans will feel the difference on new album'

Upcoming record will have trance, metal and Moroccan influences
4 hours ago
Bono has warned U2 fans they will "feel the difference" with the material they are working on for their next album.

The singer explained that the band are currently working in the south of France on the follow-up to 2004's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'. Following demo sessions in Africa earlier in the year, the singer reckons the new record will surprise people.

"We're just beginning the processes," Bono told The Independent. "We did some recording in Morocco last year. All the band went to an amazing religious music festival in Fez with some incredible sufi singers. It was a real humbling thing for a punk rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies."

He added: "We got this little riad, a small hotel with a courtyard in the middle and set up the band there, with a square of sky over our head. The two great catalysts of U2's recording life, [producers] Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, joined us. We'd record during the day and then disappear into windy streets of the medina at night. It was an inspiring experience and a drummer's paradise."

The singer said the band are now working through those demos during the French sessions and that while the new record is not world music, he promised fans would "feel the difference".

"U2 in dancefloor shock!" joked Bono. "Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

He explained that fans might even get more than they bargained for.

"We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary," he explained. "And I think we've got that."

The singer who was speaking to mark World AIDS Day on behalf of the (RED) campaign, insisted the campaign was making a different in Africa and called on the world to increase its efforts.

"Three years ago there was virtually no one in Africa on antiretroviral drugs," he explained. "Now you'll have two million by the end of this year."

this sounds like good news to me!

while we got this update in another thread, just re-reading Bono's comments, it seems like they actually want to put out a double album, or at least two albums (i.e., Use Your Illusion). seems like he's saying they'll do a double album just so long as it meets their standards.

sounds good to me.

BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet or not but it sounds pretty exciting to me (saw it on the NME website just there now):

Upcoming record will have trance, metal and Moroccan influences:

Bono has warned U2 fans they will "feel the difference" with the material they are working on for their next album.

The singer explained that the band are currently working in the south of France on the follow-up to 2004's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'. Following demo sessions in Africa earlier in the year, the singer reckons the new record will surprise people.

"We're just beginning the processes," Bono told The Independent. "We did some recording in Morocco last year. All the band went to an amazing religious music festival in Fez with some incredible sufi singers. It was a real humbling thing for a punk rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies."

He added: "We got this little riad, a small hotel with a courtyard in the middle and set up the band there, with a square of sky over our head. The two great catalysts of U2's recording life, [producers] Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, joined us. We'd record during the day and then disappear into windy streets of the medina at night. It was an inspiring experience and a drummer's paradise."

The singer said the band are now working through those demos during the French sessions and that while the new record is not world music, he promised fans would "feel the difference".

"U2 in dancefloor shock!" joked Bono. "Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

He explained that fans might even get more than they bargained for.

"We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary," he explained. "And I think we've got that."

The singer who was speaking to mark World AIDS Day on behalf of the (RED) campaign, insisted the campaign was making a different in Africa and called on the world to increase its efforts.

"Three years ago there was virtually no one in Africa on antiretroviral drugs," he explained. "Now you'll have two million by the end of this year."

I like the sound of them moving in a new direction but you can't help but feel a tad sceptical when you hear Bono make these kind of pronouncements...

Well the standard Bono cliche's are different so perhaps the music will be as well. Still sounds like some of the hype before the PoP album, which isnt a bad thing. A double album, that beats the hell out of 11 songs (when the best ones dont even make the cut!) and and the occasional bonus track. Maybe the band is tired of all our bitching?

And thats good news that 2 million africans are on ARV's.

I posted in the other thread as well, but im in favor of a double album if it means this time they include stuff like Mercy, Native Son, or Levitate that never made the cut before.

The cliches sound a bit different than normal too so perhaps the sound really will be different. Thats a good thing.

Yeah, the topic is being discussed in the "Where the Album Has No Name" forum. :)

Then again, there should be no limit on how many times the phrase "real molten metal" gets used. :hmm:

thanks for the post! this sounds incredible.

those are some pretty big statements, and imo different than anything we've heard before. i'm glad Bono still feels like he can talk like tihs, with everything he says in the press getting dissected a million times over.

i am a bit puzzled by the "clear the dancefloor" statement though- that would've made sense to me in the late 80s, but U2 have shown dance influence for a long time now. is it just in comparison to the two most recent albums? what do the rest of you think?

i agree also, it's great that there are tangible results to the work Bono and U2 have been involved in on the humanitarian front, and great to hear him reporting it as well.

I think dance influence and actual dance music are two different things.

The only music U2 has ever had that has been successful in dance: Mysterious Ways and Discotheque.

Yeah, Edge producing molten metal doesn't mean the music is metal-influenced..... we hope.

Interested in the trance/dance influences though. Hope they allow them 2 shine through, unlike in Pop, where they held them back.

Back
Top Bottom