MERGED ----> New Album Update! + BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most exciting thing about this talk, to me, is the dance/trance talk. The reason: My favorite album (POP) is the closest they've been to the 'dance' feel. I can't wait! And the possibility (but perhaps not probability) of two albums in that style...:drool:

Wow!! Metal? :ohmy:

I knew they had it in them. Trance with metal is very Porcupine Tree and the Morrocan influence? That's almost Opeth-ish!

If they are really doing an album like this I will be very impressed to say the least!

As I'd mentioned in another thread, this quote comes courtesy of someone who described A Man and A Woman as "Marvin Gaye" meets The Clash, and Window in the Skies as "psychedelic pop". And then people have a problem when some of us say Bono is full of it.

"Trance influences" probably means a couple of passages on a song that have a repeating guitar note or drumbeat. But hey, prove me wrong. I'd love it.

tomtom said:
As I'd mentioned in another thread, this quote comes courtesy of someone who described A Man and A Woman as "Marvin Gaye" meets The Clash, and Window in the Skies as "psychedelic pop". And then people have a problem when some of us say Bono is full of it.

"Trance influences" probably means a couple of passages on a song that have a repeating guitar note or drumbeat. But hey, prove me wrong. I'd love it.

Ever considered A man and a woman/WITS may have sounded different before the album version and he referred to early versions ?
Kind of like early Bomb was "punk rock on Venus", except people were very full of it by copy-pasting it at random when talking about the finished product.

I'll take the "two albums" and "different sound" over dead silence from the drummer and bass player, and the perpetuum mobile "lost in the music" talk from the guitar player (who has his share of odd quotes).

The fact is fans eat these soundbytes up, whether you like them or not.

I don't consider it a double album unless it has two cds worth of songs. It doesn't matter if it's on LP. Otherwise my comment about liking Harrison's All Things Must Pass double album would be moot as on LP it's a triple album. We live in the cd era. There is no time for petty arguments about an album being a double album on vinyl but a single album on cd.

holy crap what is this?!?! why can't we talk about music and sounds in regular english that actually makes some sense...what is porcupine? thats an animal!! :lol:

yeah umm...i think new album is going to rock in every way :yes:

I was just thinking that if The Edge is influenced by Daniel or get some inspiration from him on the new U2 album then I would be really excited.

Here's some interesting comments from the official Lanois discussion board:
Where will I be? - Lanois mentioned in his 2003 Brussels or London concert that he would like to get The Edge to contribute some guitars to the recording for the new CD.
This website confims that this track will be on Daniels new album, due for digital release on December 15th: http://www.redfloorrecords.com/HereIsWhatIs.htm

And you can listen to it here:
Daniel Lanois - Where Will I Be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaS2RrxQiA

Do you think this could be the sound of molten metal? :ohmy:

Rob33 said:
holy crap what is this?!?! why can't we talk about music and sounds in regular english that actually makes some sense...what is porcupine? thats an animal!! :lol:

yeah umm...i think new album is going to rock in every way :yes:

Sorry,

Porcupine Tree is a rock group that mixes ambient/trancelike music with some metal. Opeth does the same but with more middle eastern influenced sounds.

I guess these groups still aren't widely known :sad:

Utoo said:

To me, he's actually saying they'll only put out one album of the cream of the crop. "We have enough for two albums, but it has to be extraordinary." That seems to me like an album now of the best and then great leftovers for b-sides or the next album down the road.

Yeah, but then he said "I think we've got that."

I'll be happy with either, really. A double album would be awesome but I won't complain about a regular length one, as long as it's awesome. Still, whether this album fails or soars, I'm confident it will at least be a change in direction, which should please a lot of people here.

bono using the "molten metal" phrase to describe edge's guitar playing is almost as bad as avril lavigne calling herself "punk".

the loudest folk band(80's), I feel more akin to a hip hop band(90's), Punk rock from venus(2000's)...

Bono's always been bad at describing their sound.

TCUFrog said:
bono using the "molten metal" phrase to describe edge's guitar playing is almost as bad as avril lavigne calling herself "punk".

Of course Bono has a way of saying things like these between albums, he's known to do it isn't he?

Just take these things with a grain of salt if you can't stand Bono's funny little descriptions and then judge for yourself in a year or so from now.

Re: BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

general_custard said:
"U2 in dancefloor shock!" joked Bono. "Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

:dancing:

Woohoo!!!

Last edited:
Is there any place for a "b-side" in 2008? It's actually amazing that we still call them that!

Does anyone know - how many actual "singles" did U2 sell last time around?

Maybe they'll just hold onto the tracks and sell them as ringtones.

BEAL said:
I'd like this album to have less promotion as well. Just release it and see what happens. I know that's asking for the impossible, but one can hope.

Would be great if they'll be doing "a radiohead"

download and decide your own price...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just buy a Massive Attack album then.:eyebrow:

I already have all of them. If U2 and Massive Attack started making Massive Attack albums we'd have twice as many Massive Attack albums.

BrownEyedBoy said:

:yuck:

Highly unlikely considering that U2, as opposed to massive attack, is quite fond of making MUSIC.

Massive Attack is a completely amazing band. Much better than anything U2 has done in the last decade or so.

As long as we don't have an album full of songs like Stuck In A Moment, The Hands That Built America, Windows In The Skies etc. then great. The last two albums weren't exciting enough for me and although Bono had mentioned a stripped down sound with just the vocal and guitar, that would be okay for one or two tracks, but I'd like to hear a revolutionary sound.

He mentioned trance influences, whcih makes me think of something similar to Pop, but then Moroccan influence(Fast Cars type sound?) and metal influences, which could just be an indication that they want to give the guitar more prominence.

I thought the intro to Love and Peace or Else was an indication they were trying out new sounds, so I'd like to hear them go down that route a lot more i.e. playing around with the bass sound, bringing in different guitars etc.

I also heard Lanois has said that Eno has been creating all these atmospheric intros, aka The Joshua Tree. Mmaybe we will be getting the epic and atmospheric feel of The Joshua Tree, with POP style dance influences and Achtung Baby hard electric guitar, with a Moroccan twist to it all, by adding different instruments and extra musicians???

Originally posted by Thanksandy maybe we will be getting the epic and atmospheric feel of The Joshua Tree, with POP style dance influences and Achtung Baby hard electric guitar, with a Moroccan twist to it all, by adding different instruments and extra musicians??? [/B]

:drool: :drool: :drool: you need to shut up. ok? your making my mouth water.:wink: :drool: :drool: :drool:

general_custard said:

"U2 in dancefloor shock!" joked Bono. "Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

As soon as I read that, I started imagining the Mysterious Ways video, angry snakes coming out of baskets, and loose-fitting dress shirts. I'm sensing a return to Achtung, or an even better continuation of what was tapped into during that period. Sensing, and maybe wishing.

The "molten metal" part sounds interesting. Not only is it molten, but it's "real" molten! That's always been my very favourite kind of molten.

Re: BONO: 'U2 Fans will feel difference on new album'

general_custard said:
I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet or not but it sounds pretty exciting to me (saw it on the NME website just there now):

Upcoming record will have trance, metal and Moroccan influences:

Bono has warned U2 fans they will "feel the difference" with the material they are working on for their next album.

The singer explained that the band are currently working in the south of France on the follow-up to 2004's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'. Following demo sessions in Africa earlier in the year, the singer reckons the new record will surprise people.

"We're just beginning the processes," Bono told The Independent. "We did some recording in Morocco last year. All the band went to an amazing religious music festival in Fez with some incredible sufi singers. It was a real humbling thing for a punk rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies."

He added: "We got this little riad, a small hotel with a courtyard in the middle and set up the band there, with a square of sky over our head. The two great catalysts of U2's recording life, [producers] Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, joined us. We'd record during the day and then disappear into windy streets of the medina at night. It was an inspiring experience and a drummer's paradise."

The singer said the band are now working through those demos during the French sessions and that while the new record is not world music, he promised fans would "feel the difference".

He explained that fans might even get more than they bargained for.

"We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary," he explained. "And I think we've got that."

The singer who was speaking to mark World AIDS Day on behalf of the (RED) campaign, insisted the campaign was making a different in Africa and called on the world to increase its efforts.

"Three years ago there was virtually no one in Africa on antiretroviral drugs," he explained. "Now you'll have two million by the end of this year."

I like the sound of them moving in a new direction but you can't help but feel a tad sceptical when you hear Bono make these kind of pronouncements...

Dance music

FREAKIN DANCE MUSIC?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NO POP DANCE PLEASE BONO, PLEASE....

PLEASE!

ACHTUNG-DANCE!

GO WITH ACHTUNG DANCE! (We need it!)

BONO!

Whatever...I read "hardcore guitar" and then felt alittle better...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom