Interesting article about the role of a guitarist in a rock band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for The Edge, the primary weakness of Songs of Innocence (aside from the obtrusive release) is that his guitar isn’t prominent enough. For instance, this song is decent (link to EBW), but The Edge never gets to break out any of his Edge-like tools. It’s as if U2 set out to demonstrate how integral The Edge is to the band’s sound — remove that echoing, bell-like jangle and all you’re left with are ordinary middle-aged paeans to Joey Ramone and ocean cycles. The Edge’s guitar sound is U2 in near totality.

So the author would be crucified on here for wanting Edge "on autopilot" then? :lol:

As for The Edge, the primary weakness of Songs of Innocence (aside from the obtrusive release) is that his guitar isn’t prominent enough. For instance, this song is decent (link to EBW), but The Edge never gets to break out any of his Edge-like tools. It’s as if U2 set out to demonstrate how integral The Edge is to the band’s sound — remove that echoing, bell-like jangle and all you’re left with are ordinary middle-aged paeans to Joey Ramone and ocean cycles. The Edge’s guitar sound is U2 in near totality.

So the author would be crucified on here for wanting Edge "on autopilot" then? :lol:

He is right about Edge on this record. Nothing interesting guitar-wise, he focused on the songwriting instead. Maybe he makes a virtue out of necessity as it is obvious he has ran out of ideas at guitar area, because I don´t remember him coming up with anything really exciting since Pop.
Anyway, it works for this record (except a few awful generic old school riffs :)

I think so. :ohmy:

Side note. A radio station I listen to in my car has recently been advertising wines of the world. Every time they mention Chilean wines, I chuckle to myself.

Good call. As long as Leo has gotten his little toes into the grapes to stomp them, I'm happy.

Of course, if his deadbeat father would wake out of his coma and give the kid some $$...

Back
Top Bottom