I read the Rolling Stone piece based on meeting U2 in early December - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
This thread is politically insightful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
But the question is, would Captain Adama and the Battlestar Galactica crew approve of Brian Eno's comments?
This is just the kind of shallow crap I've come to expect on these boards. If you were actually thoughtful, instead of just arrogant cynical jerks, and watching the current new episodes with Tom Zarek's forced actions against a disrespectful leadership of Roslin and Adama, you'd realize just how politically insightful events are in the tension between military dictatorship and democracy and terrorism and a whole host of issues that are rife with complexity, beautifully illustrated, and far more brilliantly examined than in any U2 song.

Moreover, it really shows how pathetic and cruel you are to keep picking on my in the most shallow way because of this, especially since you far outnumber me and can't resist kicking someone when they're unpopular or down. It's very bullying.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #47
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
This is just the kind of shallow crap I've come to expect on these boards. If you were actually thoughtful, instead of just arrogant cynical jerks, and watching the current new episodes with Tom Zarek's forced actions against a disrespectful leadership of Roslin and Adama, you'd realize just how politically insightful events are in the tension between military dictatorship and democracy and terrorism and a whole host of issues that are rife with complexity, beautifully illustrated, and far more brilliantly examined than in any U2 song.

Moreover, it really shows how pathetic and cruel you are to keep picking on my in the most shallow way because of this, especially since you far outnumber me and can't resist kicking someone when they're unpopular or down. It's very bullying.
It's just you against the Cylons! I'm rooting for you though.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #48
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Good God get over it already. For the gazillionth time, people can understand and appreciate the political insightfulness of something without having to cram it down everyone else's throat.

Quote:
especially since you far outnumber me and can't resist kicking someone when they're unpopular or down. It's very bullying.
You are right here, though. I know it's fun to throw in the jabs whenever possible, but the constant needling, prodding, and pushing on this subject needs to stop guys.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #49
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Good God get over it already. For the gazillionth time, people can understand and appreciate the political insightfulness of something without having to cram it down everyone else's throat.

You are right here, though. I know it's fun to throw in the jabs whenever possible, but the constant needling, prodding, and pushing on this subject needs to stop guys.
Quite right. Sorry.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #50
War Child

Didn't DJ Dave Fanning on radio RTE 2 say that White as Snow = Winter? ....this is old news
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #51
The Fly

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I was implying that Passengers kinda sucked BESIDES those 3 tracks, including Your Blue Room.
One of the first things I do when traveling down south is to get to the beach and listen to a relaxing playlist that always includes "Beach Sequence" as the first track.... something about it just clears my head.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:50 AM
you know, my favorite U2 album is Actung as well.

but this idea that it was some kind of artistic project with no thought ever given to it's ability to move units and sell concert tickets is bunk. if anything, U2 "went commercial" with Achtung if you think about the fact that they were pretty much dead in the water by the end of 1989. had U2 come out with a proper U2 album in 1991 where Bono continued with his long mane of hair and pretentious pronouncements and if they continued to dress in vagabond-chic, then the album would have tanked, and their career would have been over.

while it was genuinely artistically inspired by the fall of the Berlin wall and a renewed fascination with Europe after the fall of Communism, Achtung Baby and the sonic and image reinvention was absolutely a commercial move. it was absolutely a careerist move. it was absolutely about killing their past in order for them to have a future, and future tours, and future albums that would sell.

it worked brilliantly. how do we know it worked? because U2 sold a lot of albums, they sold a lot of concert tickets to Zoo TV, and they continue to do so today.

ask yourself this -- would any band have planned a tour as expensive as Zoo TV if they expected the album to tank commercially, or, more likely, if they said that they didn't care about sales or radio airplay or videos on MTV?

Achtung is their best album because it's dynamic and diverse and each song creates a massive and massively unique space and the whole thing is shot through with despair and cynicism and lots of sex and the narrator owns up to being kind of an asshole who can be selfish and needy, and yet defiant. oh, i could sing Mysterious Ways after hearing it one time, it's that catchy, and One is an obvious -- and obviously successful -- attempt at writing a career defining ballad. EBTTRT is an obvious single. Wild Horses is an obvious single with a colossal, sing-along chorus that's probably more shameless than anything on Bomb (and i enjoy it tremendously).

Achtung is colossal, but let's not pretend for a moment that it was, like, written in a bedroom with a guitar and an 8-track and released without a moment's thought about how it would be received (and consumed) by the masses. it's absolutely no different in commercial intent than Bomb.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #53
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:50 AM
^ x infinity.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

YOU'RE COMPARING SEASONS CONSISTING OF HOUR LONG EPISODES TO 3-5 MINUTE SONGS!!!

Am I understanding this correctly? Are you serious? And we're the shallow ones?

Only the deep can compare busshels of apples to an orange.

Only the deep can judge someone by the fact speculation that they "may have" supported this or that...

Only the deep brag about spitting on those that disagree with them...

Give us all a break!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #55
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

You know BVS, it'd be great if you didn't take every differing opinion as an opportunity to argue.

Just once it'd be nice for you to not have to publicly belittle rebuff someone whose opinion differs from yours, regardless of how valid or well-informed their opinion may or may not be.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #56
New Yorker

^ point taken
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

live long and prosper.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you know, my favorite U2 album is Actung as well.

but this idea that it was some kind of artistic project with no thought ever given to it's ability to move units and sell concert tickets is bunk. if anything, U2 "went commercial" with Achtung if you think about the fact that they were pretty much dead in the water by the end of 1989. had U2 come out with a proper U2 album in 1991 where Bono continued with his long mane of hair and pretentious pronouncements and if they continued to dress in vagabond-chic, then the album would have tanked, and their career would have been over.

while it was genuinely artistically inspired by the fall of the Berlin wall and a renewed fascination with Europe after the fall of Communism, Achtung Baby and the sonic and image reinvention was absolutely a commercial move. it was absolutely a careerist move. it was absolutely about killing their past in order for them to have a future, and future tours, and future albums that would sell.

it worked brilliantly. how do we know it worked? because U2 sold a lot of albums, they sold a lot of concert tickets to Zoo TV, and they continue to do so today.

ask yourself this -- would any band have planned a tour as expensive as Zoo TV if they expected the album to tank commercially, or, more likely, if they said that they didn't care about sales or radio airplay or videos on MTV?

Achtung is their best album because it's dynamic and diverse and each song creates a massive and massively unique space and the whole thing is shot through with despair and cynicism and lots of sex and the narrator owns up to being kind of an asshole who can be selfish and needy, and yet defiant. oh, i could sing Mysterious Ways after hearing it one time, it's that catchy, and One is an obvious -- and obviously successful -- attempt at writing a career defining ballad. EBTTRT is an obvious single. Wild Horses is an obvious single with a colossal, sing-along chorus that's probably more shameless than anything on Bomb (and i enjoy it tremendously).

Achtung is colossal, but let's not pretend for a moment that it was, like, written in a bedroom with a guitar and an 8-track and released without a moment's thought about how it would be received (and consumed) by the masses. it's absolutely no different in commercial intent than Bomb.
you is smrt.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #59
New Yorker

Baby Caution rules!