How do albums "leak"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigloader

The Fly
I was wondering about this the other day when I saw that the new album had been all over the internet for some time. It seems as though you are able to get any new cd far before it's official release date and I was wondering how/why this happens? It's obviously hurting the bands, so how does it get online in the first place? Nowadays I would think that there would be a more secure process to insure that this doesn't happen. You mainly only see these on free music sharing sites, so who benefits? Also, who has access besides the producers and how does it get out initially? Can someone please enlighten me?

Either a promo copy sent to the reviewers is leaked, or someone close to the record label (either works there or is a frequent visitor) leaks it. Or someone from the warehouse that the cds are shipped to leaks it.

However, none of that happened this time around. NLOTH was leaked through a strange occurance where the getmusic australian site put the album up for purchase 2 weeks early, and someone bought it and leaked it that way.

I was wondering about this the other day when I saw that the new album had been all over the internet for some time. It seems as though you are able to get any new cd far before it's official release date and I was wondering how/why this happens? It's obviously hurting the bands, so how does it get online in the first place? Nowadays I would think that there would be a more secure process to insure that this doesn't happen. You mainly only see these on free music sharing sites, so who benefits? Also, who has access besides the producers and how does it get out initially? Can someone please enlighten me?

Science.
That's how.

Honestly, I have no idea. Now I'm curious, too!

Back
Top Bottom