Eze Clips DISCUSSION thread only II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's actually called Magnificent.

And I think exactly the same, I mean, this song is perfect...At least on the beach clip.

I hope they don't make major changes. :drool:

Well it's better than Vertigo, and I'd prefer it to Vertigo played twice in concert.

The quality of the beach clips may not be perfect but they are far from "shocking"... Theres more than enough there to develop an opinion on their quality as songs. I for one will still be listening to at least 3 of the clips for sheer enjoyment no matter if they have changed beyond recognition on the release - #3(GYBO) being one of them....

Yeah, and I thought that Miracle Drug and L&POE were going to be the greatest songs in U2 history judging by the beach clips back then.

Look how THAT turned out.

I find it comical to take a beach clip song (which we have no proof is in its final incarnation) and say that is better than any completed full audio version of any of U2's singles. Just my opinion of course.

I'd go as far as saying that four of the beach clips as they are now (whether they are the final versions or not and complete with background noise, muffled elements and whatever) are better than many of U2's previous singles in my opinion. Clips 1-4 are THAT good, of that I have no doubt. I think three months is plenty of time to get a bit of perspective on the matter without being accused of comical behavior or getting caught up in the new album hype. The clips are all basically full songs, not fragments so to compare to the Miracle Drug and LAPOE clips really isn't relevant...
If they change them they change them, even for the worse, I won't mind. I'll still have my precious beach clips!! :heart::heart::heart:

Yeah, and I thought that Miracle Drug and L&POE were going to be the greatest songs in U2 history judging by the beach clips back then.

Look how THAT turned out.

I find it comical to take a beach clip song (which we have no proof is in its final incarnation) and say that is better than any completed full audio version of any of U2's singles. Just my opinion of course.

I was there when those beach clips were leaked in 2004. The clips we have now are far longer and a bit clearer.

Oh, and everyone here though LAPOE and Miracle Drug were not only the greatest songs ever, but the greatest things to ever happen to mankind in general...for about a month. Just look through the archives.

Oh, and everyone here though LAPOE and Miracle Drug were not only the greatest songs ever, but the greatest things to ever happen to mankind in general...for about a month. Just look through the archives.

i didn't. i thought both of them were mediocre. i had a little more hope for Miracle Drug because, unfortunately, the beach clip previewed the only interesting part of the song (guitar solo and edge singing).

I think Beach Clip #5 is "Crazy Tonight"
sounds like a great pop tune to me,
and just after the halfway mark im fairly sure
Bono keeps singing "Crazy, Crazy, Crazy Tonight!
Also fits Q's description well imo,

Crazy Tonight

Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight",

Bono - "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer. Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which surprised Larry.

V excited about this tune, sounds V promising!

I think Beach Clip #5 is "Crazy Tonight"
sounds like a great pop tune to me,
and just after the halfway mark im fairly sure
Bono keeps singing "Crazy, Crazy, Crazy Tonight!
Also fits Q's description well imo,

Crazy Tonight

Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight",

Bono - "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer. Brian Eno said that Crazy Tonight was in a bad way which surprised Larry.

V excited about this tune, sounds V promising!

Interesting. Clip 5 doesn't sound to me as upbeat as the description states. I was thinking it's more along the lines of a ballad; its tempo is fairly slow.

Interesting. Clip 5 doesn't sound to me as upbeat as the description states. I was thinking it's more along the lines of a ballad; its tempo is fairly slow.

I think the description is referring to upbeat (emotionally) rather than upbeat (fast).

i didn't. i thought both of them were mediocre. i had a little more hope for Miracle Drug because, unfortunately, the beach clip previewed the only interesting part of the song (guitar solo and edge singing).

I didn't either, at least about Miracle Drug, which was one of my least favorites until the tour. After that, it started to grow on me, and now I've played it so damn much that I don't even really want to hear it again.

But the forum back in 2004...wow. It's like night and day compared to the attitude around here now.

U2 Sux

but i'll buy tickets to 30 shows and then bitch when they don't change the setlist or Bono doesn't let me play guitar or dance with him.

The excitement over any leaks or releases inevitably leads to hyperbole (as well as vocal contrarianism). While looking back on things said during those periods is likely embarrassing, I still relish those (rare and brief) moments as a U2 fan.

Oh yeah. I remember when ATYCLB leaked and this place was nuts!!! So many new threads about the same song etc, or how great New York or Grace or whatever someone was so excited about.

Then after a few weeks or months, people started to settle down and then the bitching started!!! Same setlists every night....songs were boring...etc.

It was worse with HTDAAB. People are just looking for something to complain about.

It'll happen with this album too. Just watch how the 1st single is received....everyone will love it at first....then we'll get the bitching :)

It never fails. It's still really exciting to be online and experience when the song leaks or is released to radio. Can't beat that.

I was there when those beach clips were leaked in 2004. The clips we have now are far longer and a bit clearer.

So was I....all be it under a different screen name.

I think you're missing my point. Thats EXACTLY what I'm saying. This whole site went ape shit over those songs like they were the greatest thing to ever be heard by human ears. Soon after the album came out we all realized that the songs were mediocre at best.

THAT is what I was getting at.

The Bomb beach clips had me ridiculously excited as well. Hence, this time around, I’ve listened to them a couple of times but I’m pretty much ignoring them. You really can’t tell. I’d rather pay no attention and there be a chance I’m overwhelmed with happiness when it leaks/releases than get all excited again by a distant, warbled guitar part over some crashing waves only to then have another massive let down when the real thing releases.

The Bomb beach clips had me ridiculously excited as well. Hence, this time around, I’ve listened to them a couple of times but I’m pretty much ignoring them. You really can’t tell. I’d rather pay no attention and there be a chance I’m overwhelmed with happiness when it leaks/releases than get all excited again by a distant, warbled guitar part over some crashing waves only to then have another massive let down when the real thing releases.

yes. :up:

I think this was discussed back when the beach clips came out, but I wanted to get some other people's thoughts. The voice singing the Oooooh, oooooh part in Magnificent (clip 4) during the drum fill tension part right before the "Only Love" chorus: is it the Edge or Bono? To me it sounds like the Edge but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone care to weigh in?

Oh, and I am still struck by how natural and unforced this track feels. Notice the way the verse works into the chorus and then back into the verse. It's perfect. The slide guitar is brilliant. I simply cannot wait to hear the album version. Adam is the only one whose work I can't hear on the clip, but the other 3 are at the top of their game. And I mean the very top.

Back
Top Bottom