Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I emailed my source since the release of the new single to ask him why did U2 decide to release a song that is #6 on the album? And why is "Boots" # 6 on the album versus being #1? This is what he had to say.;

The reason he thinks (based on what he's heard) they may have released Boots versus any other song (beside the fact that its a poppy, rocker) is because it is the #6 song on the album. He said the band wants this to be an album that people listen from start to finish much like the way you go to a theatrical play. You start by watching the first act and then there's a break (Boots). After you break, you then continue with the second act. The song is so fast and catchy that you are in and out of the song and into the continuation of the album. By releasing this song versus others you dont take too much away from people enjoying the album from start to finish. He also said that there's a chance a new single will not be released until the album has been in stores for a good period of time.

just some food for thought.

Interesting. This came up the other day, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense: the only two songs that will be pop-flavored are stuck right in the middle of the album. I think this is a brilliant move on the band's part, partially because of the reason you mention above: it splits the album into 2 halves, simulating the turning over of an old vinyl record. It also allows the moody, brooding numbers to start AND finish the album which sounds absolutely perfect to me. I think NLOTH will easily be U2's most "serious" album since Achtung Baby (Crazy Tonight and GOYB will have minimal impact on this due to their track placing). GOYB will likely be an even worse predictor of album feel/sound than either Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

As I think a little more about it, however, Crazy Tonight may actually be the pop album splitter more so than GOYB. For one, GOYB isn't really very poppy. Hard rocking riff, psychedelic chorus, and non-normal structure are its defining features. Secondly, Crazy Tonight really only falls into the early half of the album by track number, but not really by length. 25 minutes will have gone by when it comes on, and after it is done there will be about the same time remaining on the album. So GOYB will sort of ease the transition from pop back into the rest of the album atmosphere.

Interesting. This came up the other day, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense: the only two songs that will be pop-flavored are stuck right in the middle of the album. I think this is a brilliant move on the band's part, partially because of the reason you mention above: it splits the album into 2 halves, simulating the turning over of an old vinyl record. It also allows the moody, brooding numbers to start AND finish the album which sounds absolutely perfect to me. It sounds like NLOTH will easily be U2's most "serious" album since Achtung Baby. GOYB will likely be an even worse predictor of album feel/sound than either Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

Can you imagine casual fans who buy it because of the sound of GOYB (And there will be people who do buy it because of that), and then hear some really weaird moody stuff?, would that cause more bitching from them?

Can you imagine casual fans who buy it because of the sound of GOYB (And there will be people who do buy it because of that), and then hear some really weaird moody stuff?, would that cause more bitching from them?

Maybe, mainly because of how much bitching the internet allows. I wonder what it would've been like for all the people who bought UF just because of Pride.

My roommate doesn't really like U2 but he keeps asking me to play "Get on Your Boots"....hahaha. He's like "I bet you're surprised I'm asking you to play it!"

Yeah, it would be interesting to have some people who'd like to discuss why they don't like GOYB instead of just whining. I think there are some discussions worth having.

The song is a rollercoasterride for me.
grades went form 8,6 to a 5,5, to a 4 to a 7

Let me start with the positive:
- I realy like the lyrics. There is more than meets the eye and I prefer his over the more in your face Vertigo for instance.
- The bass is very present and I always wanted this from U2 records and they finally seem to done it right with Adam.
- The bridge is good, not F*#& amazing but this keeps getting stuck in my head at least
- The "let me in the sound "stuff I also like because I am fond of such pieces in a song. It sounds rock 'n roll and not too forced.
- Larry is finally present and I love it!

Then the "negative":
- Edge. Sorry to say but again a very unimaginative piece of work form his side. It has been (IMO) a very long time ago that he came up with something inventive or powerfull. I realy hope he has come up with a bit more than this because it just sounds plain dull which is a shame because the rythme section seems to be getting better and better.

- Bono's voice and rather the production of Bono's voice. It sounds so pitched and unnatural and completely uncool for such a versitile singer. He has lost something in this departement. If you listen to how he sang on AB,POP (evethough his voice was a it cracked sometimes) for instance. There was so much energy and creativity in his singing in the 90's which IMO seems to be completely lost. He sounds like he has to proof how good he is ith this high pitched voice while his darker lower voice suits his age and maturity much beter. He is almost 50 but still tries to sing like a young bird and he is not.

- The song itself sounds like a "forced to sound fresh again demo" from these guys. if you have writen so many incredibly beautifull, powerfull, inventive songs (without not sounding like U2 because they are U2) and you come up with this (with all due respect to the lovers out there) fairly mediocre outing after 4,5 years to promote your new record that is saying something.

- U2 doesn't benifit from this way new of recording and mastering either. again (although better and softer than Vertigo) The song is so in your face and annoying to a delicate ear that is is unpleasant to listen to with headphones. Compare this to the older stuf which is a delight to listen to with headphones. U2 has allways een about textre and mood but the last couple of years they just blasts through your stereo (and not in a good way unfortunately).

I like it a bit better than yesterday and not as much as the initial first listen. I really hope that the "middle songs of the new record are poppy stuff compard to the rest" is true and that the rest of the record sounds a bit more mature because U2 are mature men now and no boyband.

I hate it when people say it sucks without any explanation and I hate it when people think this the best song ever recorded. I hope my enthousiasme for this great band is back in full steam after listening to the record when it commes out.

cheers:wave:

ill also tell you that the day i found out HTDAAB leaked was one of the longest ones ever!

It leaked about 10 minutes before I had to leave to play cricket. Our net connection wasn't too quick, so I had to leave it, play cricket for 9 hours, then find it, download the songs (took over an hour), burn the cd and que it up... excrutiating!

I admire ANYONE who can withstand the pressure and wait the other two weeks knowing that its there, ready for them

Just noticed your an Aussie and a cricket fan. Get ready to be hammered when you visit England next summer. Ok, maybe not hammered but I think England can regain The Ashes as The Aussies look the weakest they've been for 20 years. Should be a good series.

I think you can get burnt out no matter how good the song is if you have it on repeat for too long. Yesterday I didn't listen to it at all. Then I listened again this morning and liked it even more.

the second NLOTH leaks is the second it's downloaded onto my PC and burned onto a CD. for me, the difficult part will be NOT listening to it on my computer but having the patience to wait the 4-6 minutes to burn it to disc so i can throw that bad boy in my car.

me three.

I don't feel one bit of guilt for doing so because I know I'm going to shell out the $$$ for the boxset, the videos, the concert tix, the t-shirts, the programs, the Edge Beanie, or whatever other crap they sell and I feel compelled to buy. Its the people who download the stuff and never pay a cent down the road who should feel any bit of guilt for stealing. What I'm doing is just "previewing" while I start to gather my $$$ for my upcoming U2 pruchases. :wink:

hahaha, if you've got a spare 50 bucks lying around, invest in some Sennheisser studio headphones. Best value/quality trade-off.

the HD-202 are a great value option

Sennheiser Worldwide - HiFi Stereo Headphones, HD 202, Bass - Private Audio

Good Call. Ultimate Ears are really good too.

and i put you in the category of people that have already decided that they won't like the album no matter what it sounds like.

Its a category with alot of names

Yeah, it would be interesting to have some people who'd like to discuss why they don't like GOYB instead of just whining. I think there are some discussions worth having.

I think thats when Interference is at its best; when people with opposing opinions can discuss their differing viewpoints, in a civil manner, documenting specific reasons behind their feelings.

- I realy like the lyrics. There is more than meets the eye and I prefer his over the more in your face Vertigo for instance.
- The bass is very present and I always wanted this from U2 records and they finally seem to done it right with Adam.
- The bridge is good, not F*#& amazing but this keeps getting stuck in my head at least
- The "let me in the sound "stuff I also like because I am fond of such pieces in a song. It sounds rock 'n roll and not too forced.

Then the "negative":
- Edge. Sorry to say but again a very unimaginative piece of work form his side. It has been (IMO) a very long time ago that he came up with something inventive or powerfull. I realy hope he has come up with a bit more than this because it just sounds plain dull which is a shame because the rythme section seems to be getting better and better.

- Bono's voice and rather the production of Bono's voice. It sounds so pitched and unnatural and completely uncool for such a versitile singer. He has lost something in this departement. If you listen to how he sang on AB,POP (evethough his voice was a it cracked sometimes) for instance. There was so much energy and creativity in his singing in the 90's which IMO seems to be completely lost. He sounds like he has to proof how good he is ith this high pitched voice while his darker lower voice suits his age and maturity much beter. He is almost 50 but still tries to sing like a young bird and he is not.

- The song itself sounds like a "forced to sound fresh again demo" from these guys. if you have writen so many incredibly beautifull, powerfull, inventive songs (without not sounding like U2 because they are U2) and you come up with this (with all due respect to the lovers out there) fairly mediocre outing after 4,5 years to promote your new record that is saying something.

- U2 doesn't benifit from this way new of recording and mastering either. again (although better and softer than Vertigo) The song is so in your face and annoying to a delicate ear that is is unpleasant to listen to with headphones. Compare this to the older stuf which is a delight to listen to with headphones. U2 has allways een about textre and mood but the last couple of years they just blasts through your stereo (and not in a good way unfortunately).

I like it a bit better than yesterday and not as much as the initial first listen. I really hope that the "middle songs of the new record are poppy stuff compard to the rest" is true and that the rest of the record sounds a bit more mature because U2 are mature men now and no boyband.

I hate it when people say it sucks without any explanation and I hate it when people think this the best song ever recorded. I hope my enthousiasme for this great band is back in full steam after listening to the record when it commes out.

you just about nailed how I feel about the new song. :up:

I actually don't think Bono is trying to sing in any way, that actually is his natural voice, and it sounds younger than maybe the voice of other singers his age. And we know that Bono CAN also sing in his lower register. I, too, wish he'd do that more often, but for GOYB I feel his voice is right. He cannot sing a song like that with a low or dark voice. The song doesn't give him much chance to sing in a melodic way ... we all know he can do that very well. Vocal-wise, GOYB isn't very representative. That's why I prefer songs that are challenging for him to sing and where he really has the space to show his voice. I like rockers like GOYB, but I like more epic and atmospheric songs even more. Just saying you cannot judge Bono's vocal abilities by that song, because he simply cannot do much with his voice here, and I feel it's ok and fits the song.

Bono has more than just one voice and I'm curious to discover how he will sound like on the different pieces on the album.

Then the "negative":

:up: Fantastic post, that's what I like to see.

On the Edge: I have to disagree with the "unimaginative" part because I think that coming up with something that is very basic and simple (the "eternal riff" he mentions in the HTDAAB DVD) and yet novel is very difficult, especially 50 years on from the beginning of rock music. John Williams (composer of Indiana Jones, Jaws, Star Wars, etc.) says that people always assume that it was relatively easy to come up with the Indiana Jones theme for example--because it just sounds so "obvious". However, he goes on to say that he actually spends the most time on a score trying to get those basic theme notes exactly right so that it gives the appearance of effortless simplicity and memorability. Edge has experimented with a LOT of different types of guitar-playing over the years, and arguably the type of riffing from Vertigo and GOYB is overdue. Why shouldn't he have some riffs with his name on them, in addition to his icy, brittle delay notes? The fact that you can "sing" the guitar riffs from Vertigo and GOYB is pretty cool and very unusual for U2 if you stop and think about it.

Bono's voice: I think this is getting into very subjective territory. There's nothing brilliant here, but I think it suits the song very well. His bursts in the chorus are great: "You don't know, you don't get it do you?" I think we're going to see a LOT of vocal range from Bono on this album (based on nearly everyone's comments--his vocals haven't actually been hyped like this since...well, maybe ever) and this song is only a small part of that total range. It's a very smooth delivery, which again, isn't something that he usually does. The emotional voice cracks from Walk On don't work for everything, nor does the deep seductive delivery of Until the End of the World.

I will be happy to discuss my problems with GOYB.

1. Production: maybe it's the mp3, but the sound it squashed. Perhaps there will be a much better mix on the actual CD. Apart from the sonic qualities, there was so much they could've done arrangement wise, instead of just beating that damn riff to death, but they chose not to. Mistake imo.

2. The riff: I played it for friends without telling them who it was and they said "Is this the new Velvet Revolver?"
The riff is silly; a 12 year old could've come up with it. And the sound he's using for it sucks.

3. The drums. What's with the wimpy drum sound? Apart from the middle break where he steals a John Bonham groove, there's no power to the drums at all.

4. Vocals: please, don't even get me started. And Bono STILL continues to smoke. Good job man.

The overall vibe is that of Vertigo part 2. Even though it's two different songs, the vibe, the balls to the wall attitude, all reminicent of vertigo. Where's the change? Innovation?

These are my opinions, you all will disagree with them I'm sure. I'm not a u2 hater, but I hold them to a high standard.
I am hopeful that NLOTH is going to have a bunch of winners on it, and that this single was just a throwaway.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

1. Production: maybe it's the mp3, but the sound it squashed. Perhaps there will be a much better mix on the actual CD. Apart from the sonic qualities, there was so much they could've done arrangement wise, instead of just beating that damn riff to death, but they chose not to. Mistake imo.

2. The riff: I played it for friends without telling them who it was and they said "Is this the new Velvet Revolver?"
The riff is silly; a 12 year old could've come up with it. And the sound he's using for it sucks.

3. The drums. What's with the wimpy drum sound? Apart from the middle break where he steals a John Bonham groove, there's no power to the drums at all.

4. Vocals: please, don't even get me started. And Bono STILL continues to smoke. Good job man.

The overall vibe is that of Vertigo part 2. Even though it's two different songs, the vibe, the balls to the wall attitude, all reminicent of vertigo. Where's the change? Innovation?

These are my opinions, you all will disagree with them I'm sure. I'm not a u2 hater, but I hold them to a high standard.
I am hopeful that NLOTH is going to have a bunch of winners on it, and that this single was just a throwaway.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

Again you was never going to like it anyway, no matter what.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

Good thoughts, although I don't agree with most of them. 1) This isn't such a big deal for me, especially if it's just the single release. U2 aren't releasing this into a vacuum; it has to sound muscular compared to the other stuff on the radio. What are you gonna do? Regarding number 2, I posted my thoughts on the last page. The "sound sucks" isn't really a description that means anything. 3) Partially agree--but the drum sound has almost always been wimpy since AB (and especially on AB); also, it makes the Bonham part stand out in a good way at least; 4) Addressed on last page; 5) Someone else said it best--after you take away the similar approach to the riffs, there isn't too much that's similar in terms of production, vocal delivery or structure. The chorus is light years from Vertigo, as it taps into psychedelic rock rather than Bono-scream pop/rock.

Also; I think the Fly is one of the most overrated songs among hardcore fans. From the solo on is flawless, but the drum beat is total shit and it sounds pretty naked in places. Sometime around the best of 90-00 release, Edge said that it was dropped because it hadn't really aged all that well (as far as the album version). The live version is a different matter--much more muscular in the right places.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

I hear what you're saying, but you never know, give the song time. things could change.
I often expect a lot from music too.. especially from u2. I want works of art. but I don't know, these days I try not to; I try to just enjoy it for the sake of it. it makes listening to music more fun for me, and less complicated.

and yeah, I love "boots"

This is the kind of song like EBTTRT where beating the riff to death actually sounds good, especially on an album with guitar solos and long songs it fits perfectly.

I love the riff. Best part of the song. :up:

I don't see the problem here. It sounds good to me. On the CD and with headphones it might sound more powerful.

Vocals sound good enough. Certainly he's not as bad as Robert Plant is now.

Not every song will have this innovation. There are some different sounds like that Lanois high-pitched sound in the background and the death by audio guitar box. If we have sci-fi rock 'n roll coming still I would hold off opinions until the full album is heard.

:lol: I looove this argument. Strange I never saw a 12 y.o. actualy doing something like this...

I hear what you're saying, but you never know, give the song time. things could change.
I often expect a lot from music too.. especially from u2. I want works of art. but I don't know, these days I try not to; I try to just enjoy it for the sake of it. it makes listening to music more fun for me, and less complicated.

and yeah, I love "boots"

And context is important too--this is the type of song that works so well on the road or while running, but not exactly good for deep listening at home. From the looks of it, there will be PLENTY of that on the album.

I think it comes down to a matter of personal taste is all; some here love the guitar riff; I don't. I think the tone of it is hack; it's not sophisticated in any way. The sound on the Fly is mega cool and drips with innovation and sophistication, at least as much as a distorted wah wah can be anyway.

I do agree the chorus is cool with the middle eastern half step chord progression; I wish they would've expanded on that more.

Re: Bono's vocals. I understand voices suffer with age; just please do not do "Pride" live anymore...it's ruining the song for me.
And if he wants to continue to smoke so his voice sontinues to deteriorate, well go ahead Bono....thanks alot.

I think it comes down to a matter of personal taste is all; some here love the guitar riff; I don't. I think the tone of it is hack; it's not sophisticated in any way. The sound on the Fly is mega cool and drips with innovation and sophistication, at least as much as a distorted wah wah can be anyway.

I do agree the chorus is cool with the middle eastern half step chord progression; I wish they would've expanded on that more.

Re: Bono's vocals. I understand voices suffer with age; just please do not do "Pride" live anymore...it's ruining the song for me.
And if he wants to continue to smoke so his voice sontinues to deteriorate, well go ahead Bono....thanks alot.

He did hit the Pride notes pretty well during the inauguration event, but it's too "clean sounding" now. I don't need to hear Pride live anymore anyway. When was the last good live version?

He did hit the Pride notes pretty well during the inauguration event, but it's too "clean sounding" now. I don't need to hear Pride live anymore anyway. When was the last good live version?

I respectfully disagree about Pride at the innaguration; I thought he was terrible, just like every version of that song has been since 1992. Again, I guess it's personal taste.
But at least we agree that they should retire it!

I respectfully disagree about Pride at the innaguration; I thought he was terrible, just like every version of that song has been since 1992. Again, I guess it's personal taste.
But at least we agree that they should retire it!

Yeah, I actually didn't like the way his voice sounded--I was just referring to his ability to sing and hold high notes, which he seems to be getting better and better at and apparently likes to "show it off". But something sounds a little off about it--too clean or something. I only watched it once though, so I may be misremembering.

I could live without Pride on the next tour too, but it'll never happen. This song will be played at every NA stop just due to the new President.

Back
Top Bottom