Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you expect "people on the inside" to say?

Q: Hey, Daniel Lanois, what do you think of the new album??

DL: Uhm, you know....it's not bad!

Really, what is Chris Evans or somebody like that going to say after they've been invited to listen to the new album six weeks in advance?

I will only believe if (when) Chris Martin is saying it. :angry:

Really, what is Chris Evans or somebody like that going to say after they've been invited to listen to the new album six weeks in advance?

There are PLENTY of ways of phrasing things so that there is still hype, but not going overbaord.

They dont have to go anywhere near as far as saying its their best album ever.

eg they could say

"there are some amazing songs on this record"

"i think people will be really really suprised with what they've come up with"

"As opposed ot the previous record, this one is a cherent collection of songs, and it really paints a beautiful picture".

In any of those examples, people would go nuts because it sounds great, but never once did I say it was their best album ever. i didnt even say it was a good album

I think the track placement is key with Boots:

-24 min of out there anthems and twisting of the U2 sound

-four min of "pop"

-then Boots, a great rave up for...

Stand Up Comedy, supposedly the really BIG rocker
(if any of these people are to be believed)

Is it me or are there a lot of people saying No Line is the best ever?

Is this different from past album hypefests? I forget, except Bono's ridiculousness

In no particular order:

Chris Evans
Steve Lillywhite
That guy who runs the O2 arena
Brian Eno
The Edge
Some random guy posting on @U2 who claims to work for Universal Ireland
My inner 13 year old fan

Also "some of our best work"

Seriously - they said this about Pop and pretty much just about every single album. It's simply said to create hype.

And this notion that Edge expressed about focusing on an album as opposed to individual singles is refreshing.

I was thinking this too when I heard Edge say that bit in the Brian Williams interview. Makes me think that the whole will be better than the sum of its parts with NLOTH. Kinda makes me wish they would've just released the entire album at once. I never really "got" The Fly until I heard all of AB.

Ok as regards to the beach clips, did anyone have a guess at what the 5th beach clip could have been. Was there any people believing that it could be one of the tracks such as MOS or that Crazy track. To me the 5th beach clip was the poorest out of them.

5th clip was not moment of surrender. people said they had heard MOS and it wasnt any of the clips.

It's the poorest one because the sound is extremely poor for even beach clip standards, and it's very little of the song. Probably Crazy tonight, since I think he says "tonight, tonight" at the end.

Yeah u could say that but Chris Evans could easily come out and say something like its a "really good album" which would be an easy cop out. To say its the "best they have ever done" seems to suggest that he actually meant it.

Is it me or are there a lot of people saying No Line is the best ever?

Is this different from past album hypefests? I forget, except Bono's ridiculousness

In no particular order:

Chris Evans
Steve Lillywhite
That guy who runs the O2 arena
Brian Eno
The Edge
Some random guy posting on @U2 who claims to work for Universal Ireland
My inner 13 year old fan

Also "some of our best work"

Dan Lanois
Larry
Yeah, it's best to not get our hopes up, and just be happy if it is amazing. It's sure to be better than the last 2, though

Yeah u could say that but Chris Evans could easily come out and say something like its a "really good album" which would be an easy cop out. To say its the "best they have ever done" seems to suggest that he actually meant it.

Love GOYB and I'm very hopeful but we'll just have to see.
It could be mediocre by U2 standards like Bomb or R&H.
Or it could be great. I'm always a little dubious about initial listens.
I thought Bomb and Rattle & Hum were masterpieces the first time
I heard them. Now they just sound like very good but inconsistent
albums.
I'm especially dubious about any 1st listen attended by Bono.
Can you imagine Bono signing along to a brand new song three feet in
front of you. He's such a great performer and so enthusiastic that it
would be hard not to be won over. We'll see. My fingers are crossed!

The hype is probably raising my expectations this time, which could be bad. Im not in the mood to be disappointed.

I hope the hype is real, but its always overblown, although the extent can vary.

General question:

What's a band supposed to do if they actually have recorded their best album ever? What are they meant to say?

General question:

What's a band supposed to do if they actually have recorded their best album ever? What are they meant to say?

The same thing they would if it sucked.

"It's good! Really! Buy it! It's jazz fusion from Titan!"

I think there stands a good chance that it will be a collection of various u2 styles.
I think we'll get some UF, some Passengers, some ATYCLB, and some HTDAAB.
Hopefully in a cohesive album thematically.

Are we gonna get any AB or JT? We'll see......
are we gonna get any NEW groundbreaking stuff? We'll see........

Month and a half to go.

in the next couple of weeks we should probably get more info about music industry people hearing the album. now whether they give us details remains to be seen.

General question:

It's a good point,Dan.....look many people who heard the 4 beach clips thought the "Get On Your Boots" beach clip was the weakest of the 4...as long as U2 didn't alter the other 3 clips to the point where they're unrecognizable on the album....I think it's safe to say it'll be one of U2's better ones

What will be the hardest rocking NLOTH track?

We have heard Boots, pretty heavy/dynamic stuff. So far, we have a few other "rockers" in store, or so we hear from Rolling Stone and Q.

Will GOYB be the hardest rocking song on there, or do people think that Stand up Comedy, the title track or Crazy tonight have a shot?

Also, who thinks there is a suprise somewhere, as in a beach clip is dramatically different or a song like Fez really rocks?

I want especially to hear thoughts on Crazy tonight: unabashed pop, sweetest thing, beautiful day, the descriptions of this are all over the place! Then we hear Will i am mixed it, so to me, that suggests no relation to BD or Sweetest thing at all. Could this have been completely overhauled like the title track supposedly was.

Anyone's thoughts greatly appreciated, I know there are alot of threads going around now!

I have busted Lanois balls for some of the shit he said, just because I knew people would be expecting some revolution in sound (by some of the reactions to Boots, my prediction was pretty solid) but it really is up to the fans to see through the bullshit.

So what do I expect? I just expect to buy a U2 album with new music on it.
It will be whatever it is. Hopefully I'll like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom