Best of album Nov 20th discussion Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive neevr bought or downloaded one of these Best Of's so i have a question.

Do the songs sound different ? if so are they noticeable enough to buy ?

Count on Chizip to hang out in the rafters waiting to start the thread destined to have a million posts! :wink:

:lol:

vaz02 said:

Wouldnt a release of unknown material like BOY OCT and WAR extra's sell better than this new release ? It be interesting if anything

it would be interesting, and i'd like to see it, but it'd only sell better to members of interference, etc.... btw, there are already boots containing war demos, boy-era demos, and 13 versions of THBAO. and you can get those for free

How about since we're starting fresh, lets voice our opinions without personally attacking each other :up:

Uh...check this out...

New Song, Green Day Collab To Enrich U2 Best-Of

Billboard, October 02, 2006

Jonathen Cohen

A new song and a cover of Scottish punk band the Skids' "The Saints Are Coming" with Green Day will be found on a U2 compilation due Nov. 21 via Interscope. The as-yet-untitled set, which will also be available in a deluxe edition, will feature "16 of U2's best-songs," according to the band's Web site.

Both the new song and the Skids cover were recorded last month at London's Abbey Road Studio with producer Rick Rubin. U2 and Green Day debuted the cover live last week at the re-opening of the New Orleans Superdome; it is available for download exclusively until Oct. 30 via Rhapsody, after which point it will hit additional download retailers. A CD single will follow on Nov. 6.

U2's most recent compilation, "The Best Of 1990-2000," was released in December 2002 and included material up through the 2000 album "All That You Can't Leave Behind."

As previously reported, the band will resume its Vertigo tour Nov. 7 in Brisbane.

(c) Billboard, 2006.

So, a deluxe edition (i.e. only for hard-core fans) of a release only for casual fans....um...ok....

BUT could the deluxe edition have a second disc?

Loved the video. Maybe that´s how Numb should have ended. With the Edge getting spanked!!

Niceman said:

So, a deluxe edition (i.e. only for hard-core fans) of a release only for casual fans....um...ok....

Same thing as the other two Best Ofs. They didn't quite expect "hardcore" fans to buy those compilations. They knew we had them then, just like they know we have them now. :shrug:

BUT could the deluxe edition have a second disc?

My guess is that the deluxe edition will almost certainly have a bonus disc of who knows what songs, or a bonus dvd. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much else to "deluxify." :wink:

Utoo said:

Same thing as the other two Best Ofs. They didn't quite expect "hardcore" fans to buy those compilations. They knew we had them then, just like they know we have them now. :shrug:

But my point is that they obviously DO expect us to buy another Best-of....

martha said:

When did Bono personally tell you this? :confused:

Apparently, you mis-understand my usage of the word "obviously." The word generally implies a deductive inference....

There would be no market for a "deluxe edition" EXCEPT hard-core fans. By definition, casual fans do not buy deluxe editions.

Niceman said:

But my point is that they obviously DO expect us to buy another Best-of....

Perhaps it's more that they're making it worthwhile for all the completist nuts and hardcore fans to get it if they're going to anyway. :shrug: I dunno. Just like with the first two compilations, there are people who own all the songs but bought the cds anyway just because they feel some need to own everything that gets put out. The regular version is for the casual fan, the deluxe version is for the uber-fan. That way you don't feel as screwed for paying money for one new song---you're paying money for one new song and an extra disc of bonus material.

I know, grasping at straws...but I don't think it's tooooo far of a reach...

Utoo said:

Perhaps it's more that they're making it worthwhile for all the completist nuts and hardcore fans to get it if they're going to anyway. :shrug: I dunno. Just like with the first two compilations, there are people who own all the songs but bought the cds anyway just because they feel some need to own everything that gets put out. The regular version is for the casual fan, the deluxe version is for the uber-fan. That way you don't feel as screwed for paying money for one new song---you're paying money for one new song and an extra disc of bonus material.

I know, grasping at straws...but I don't think it's tooooo far of a reach...

With the first two I DID feel like I was being marketed to. 1980-1990 gave me disc 2 and The Sweetest Thing. 1990-2000 gave me disc 2, plus the new mixes and new songs, HMTMKMKM finally on a U2 album, etc.

My point is that the announcement of a deluxe edition should just about kill any speculation that U2 is not targetting "hard-core" fans with this release.

Now let's hope that there's something about the deluxification that makes it all worth while....

Niceman said:

With the first two I DID feel like I was being marketed to. 1980-1990 gave me disc 2 and The Sweetest Thing. 1990-2000 gave me disc 2, plus the new mixes and new songs, HMTMKMKM finally on a U2 album, etc.

My point is that the announcement of a deluxe edition should just about kill any speculation that U2 is not targetting "hard-core" fans with this release.

But with both of those albums you just mentioned, those Disc 2 versions were deluxe editions----thus, of course you were marketed to....in exactly the same way that the deluxe version here is marketed to you.

Now let's hope that there's something about the deluxification that makes it all worth while....

I agree. :yes:

Utoo said:

But with both of those albums you just mentioned, those Disc 2 versions were deluxe editions----thus, of course you were marketed to....in exactly the same way that the deluxe version here is marketed to you.

I agree. :yes:

Well, true. Although disc 1 of 1990-2000 was even more necessary for hard-core fans than disc 1 of 1980-2000.

Let's wait and see what "deluxe" means...

Utoo said:

Perhaps it's more that they're making it worthwhile for all the completist nuts and hardcore fans to get it if they're going to anyway. :shrug: I dunno.

how about making some unreleased and rare songs only available if you spend 150 bucks to buy all their songs all over again. that was a bit of a slap in the face to the hardcore fans wouldnt you say?

Another Best Of album at this stage is just lame and a Christmas money grab by U2's label and maybe even U2 themselves. I think there is some credence to them wanting to get their album contract fullfilled for whatever reason. I think they could have come up with something better though than ANOTHER Best Of.

Now if there is a deluxe edition with a disc containing something cool that will make it much more tolerable. I wouldnt mind actually if they took the IPOD demos and put them out in proper CD quality. That would be a cool extra disc. I would buy that.

One thing for sure, there is no new U2 studio album coming out this year and I STILL doubt it will happen even next year. We will see.

Chizip said:

how about making some unreleased and rare songs only available if you spend 150 bucks to buy all their songs all over again. that was a bit of a slap in the face to the hardcore fans wouldnt you say?

Yeah, sure. But that proves a point about the GH album how....?

I also don't like how they released a book with HTDAAB but you had to spend $40 to get it! Therefore, everything about this GH album sucks!

Utoo said:

Yeah, sure. But that proves a point about the GH album how....?

I also don't like how they released a book with HTDAAB but you had to spend $40 to get it! Therefore, everything about this GH album sucks!

exactly

vaz02 said:
Ive neevr bought or downloaded one of these Best Of's so i have a question.

Do the songs sound different ? if so are they noticeable enough to buy ?

The songs on the 80's disc are remastered, which is fantastic. A song like Unforgettable Fire is just another level of brilliant with that touch up. No other real changes there.The only beef I really have with that compilation is that it gave us the god awful Sweetest Thing. On the 90s disc U2 went into full revisionist history mode. The majority of the songs on there are in some way different, from minor changes (Mysterious Ways) to major (Numb). The Pop songs all have significant reworkings, the pros and cons of which are debated here endlessly. What they've actually done to them isn't bad, but that they did it smells funny. These, and the fact that they flat out ignored two of their singular greatest and best known songs of that decade (The Fly & Lemon), put the 90's Best Of in my Top Five Most F*cked Things U2 Have Ever Done. Oh, that and they included the songs off ATYCLB, another decision I don't understand.

Back
Top Bottom