After a year...what do you think about NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, why not:

NLOTH - Incredibly murky, hazy sounding production for a rocker. Reminds me of the good ol Achtung days. I didn't need to know that Bono reacts that way to having a tongue shoved in his ear, but PLEBAns probably get more out of it that way. Otherwise, one of my favorites. 9/10

Magnificent - I dunno, I think it's pretty smooth. The intro is great, obviously, but Bono sings his guts out, even if what he's singing is a tad ridiculous. The clincher is Edge's slide solo...simple, but as sultry as his work on The Ground Beneath Her Feet and/or Stateless. Awesome. 8.5/10

Moment of Surrender - A lovely trance. Doesn't really take off until the very end, but I believe it's definitely worth the wait. Plus, Bono's lyrics don't make me want to burn down a greeting card factory or anything. That fucking amateur Brian Eno can't even bring this one down. 9/10

Unknown Caller - First, the good: Edge. And the intro. The bad? U2 somehow manages to make a crowd singalong clunky. It's hard to screw that up, but they managed. Omniscient blender aside, it's actually kind of cool lyrically, but the damage is done. Edge's solo brings me back from time to time. 6/10

Krazy Tonite - Eh, well, it's fun to sing along to. And it's not easy to write catchy, hermetically sealed pop songs like this one, I promise. Just ask Phil Collins; he hasn't released an album in ages. 6.5/10

Get On Your Boots - From the outset, you know this is going to be a disaster. Thankfully, U2's rhythm section manages to save unmemorable non-sequitur and a riff Edge ran into the ground years ago. The bridge is awesome. 6/10

Stand Up Comedy - If you have to spend two years of studio time to make a Zeppelin pastiche sound cool, you need to exercise other genres. 5/10

Fez-Being Born - Hmm. It doesn't really have a hook or distinguishable melody, and I feel it focuses too much on flash over substance, but man oh man is this song a rush. I'm baffled as to why snoozefests like In A Little While are being played to living, breathing concertgoers when a song about racing around Africa is waiting in the wings. 7.5/10

White As Snow - The chord progression isn't really theirs, but perhaps that's why this song feels so fleshed out. It doesn't get my pulse racing, but hearing Bono sing this well after all these years is pretty thrilling. Some lovely imagery and ambiguous messages here too. A lot of good stuff here, although I couldn't sing it by memory, even after 18 months. 7.5/10

Breathe - Fuck all y'all, this is a cracking tune right here. Uplifting and empowering without being cheesy, aggressive without sacrificing melody, and it's got that fucking viola. I'm still smitten. 10/10

Cedars of Lebanon - I truly hope that Bono's "art house" remarks were directed toward this song -- rather than the album as a whole -- because it actually fits. It's a musical vignette, offering only clues as to what the melody could be, while Bono's lyrics paint a distinct and gritty picture. Not a great "song," but it's the sort of album closer that U2 specializes in. 8.5/10

Overall, NLOTH is intriguing record lacking a bit in classic choruses but overflowing with memorable moments and a handful of career highlights (an incredible feat at their age). I'll give it an 8.5. Miles ahead of the last two, to be sure. Nearly every new song they're playing now is worse than the average NLOTH track though, so I'm not getting too excited yet. But the spark is definitely there.

Not directed at me, that question, but the lyrics have never bothered me :shrug:. For some reason that song sounds very Lennon-ish to me, like it's Bono's attempt at trying to do a song like one of his idols. I don't know what specifically makes me think of that comparison, but...yeah.

Angela

the verses don't bother you?

A 10 signifies that I consider the song essentially perfect. So yeah, they're fine. As a matter of fact, I think the pacing of the verses propels the song, with the chorus kicking it that one step further.

Hey, why not:

NLOTH - Incredibly murky, hazy sounding production for a rocker. Reminds me of the good ol Achtung days. I didn't need to know that Bono reacts that way to having a tongue shoved in his ear, but PLEBAns probably get more out of it that way. Otherwise, one of my favorites. 9/10

Magnificent - I dunno, I think it's pretty smooth. The intro is great, obviously, but Bono sings his guts out, even if what he's singing is a tad ridiculous. The clincher is Edge's slide solo...simple, but as sultry as his work on The Ground Beneath Her Feet and/or Stateless. Awesome. 8.5/10

Moment of Surrender - A lovely trance. Doesn't really take off until the very end, but I believe it's definitely worth the wait. Plus, Bono's lyrics don't make me want to burn down a greeting card factory or anything. That fucking amateur Brian Eno can't even bring this one down. 9/10

Unknown Caller - First, the good: Edge. And the intro. The bad? U2 somehow manages to make a crowd singalong clunky. It's hard to screw that up, but they managed. Omniscient blender aside, it's actually kind of cool lyrically, but the damage is done. Edge's solo brings me back from time to time. 6/10

Krazy Tonite - Eh, well, it's fun to sing along to. And it's not easy to write catchy, hermetically sealed pop songs like this one, I promise. Just ask Phil Collins; he hasn't released an album in ages. 6.5/10

Get On Your Boots - From the outset, you know this is going to be a disaster. Thankfully, U2's rhythm section manages to save unmemorable non-sequitur and a riff Edge ran into the ground years ago. The bridge is awesome. 6/10

Stand Up Comedy - If you have to spend two years of studio time to make a Zeppelin pastiche sound cool, you need to exercise other genres. 5/10

Fez-Being Born - Hmm. It doesn't really have a hook or distinguishable melody, and I feel it focuses too much on flash over substance, but man oh man is this song a rush. I'm baffled as to why snoozefests like In A Little While are being played to living, breathing concertgoers when a song about racing around Africa is waiting in the wings. 7.5/10

White As Snow - The chord progression isn't really theirs, but perhaps that's why this song feels so fleshed out. It doesn't get my pulse racing, but hearing Bono sing this well after all these years is pretty thrilling. Some lovely imagery and ambiguous messages here too. A lot of good stuff here, although I couldn't sing it by memory, even after 18 months. 7.5/10

Breathe - Fuck all y'all, this is a cracking tune right here. Uplifting and empowering without being cheesy, aggressive without sacrificing melody, and it's got that fucking viola. I'm still smitten. 10/10

Cedars of Lebanon - I truly hope that Bono's "art house" remarks were directed toward this song -- rather than the album as a whole -- because it actually fits. It's a musical vignette, offering only clues as to what the melody could be, while Bono's lyrics paint a distinct and gritty picture. Not a great "song," but it's the sort of album closer that U2 specializes in. 8.5/10

Overall, NLOTH is intriguing record lacking a bit in classic choruses but overflowing with memorable moments and a handful of career highlights (an incredible feat at their age). I'll give it an 8.5. Miles ahead of the last two, to be sure. Nearly every new song they're playing now is worse than the average NLOTH track though, so I'm not getting too excited yet. But the spark is definitely there.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks for taking the time to post.....

Enjoyed reading that LemonMelon. Agree almost entirely, apart from the fact that I love UC almost in spite of itself...

A 10 signifies that I consider the song essentially perfect. So yeah, they're fine. As a matter of fact, I think the pacing of the verses propels the song, with the chorus kicking it that one step further.

I love Breathe just as much as you do I think. I think it's probably the best song on the album and one of their best songs period.

Breathe was my main grower track. When the album came out, it was alright. After that Letterman show, it simply rocked and got my attention. It was one hell of an opener for the first 2 legs.

Oh baby yes!!!!!!!

I prefer the murky beach clip of Breathe to the studio version. Limitless potential always sounds better lol.

Judging from some poster's comment in PLEBA, there was a new version of "Breathe" aired on 2DayFM... :hmm:

Yeah I actually posted about it in the new music thread last night too when I heard it because there wasn't really any other place to post it. (And the interview was still ongoing live and I had no idea what else they were going to say) It may just be an Australian promotion for the tour, but it was interesting to hear them introduce it as the new single from U2 anyway! It was also pretty weird hearing a different version of the song too when you are totally not expecting it.

What did it soouuuuund like?? Did they just speed things up, add other instruments into the mix, take certain parts out?? Muuuusssstttttt heeeaaaaaaarrrr... :crack:

Or I could focus my attention on this Pablo Neruda paper I need to write :tsk:

What did it soouuuuund like?? Did they just speed things up, add other instruments into the mix, take certain parts out?? Muuuusssstttttt heeeaaaaaaarrrr... :crack:

Or I could focus my attention on this Pablo Neruda paper I need to write :tsk:

:wink: Yes, write your paper.

Don't want to take this thread OT, but sorry I really can't tell you. I wasn't anticipating it, so when the song suddenly took a turn in a different direction than expected it was a bit of a disorienting moment. I just know I went :ohmy: ooh what was that?, That's new. I don't remember what the actual changes were now, sorry. :reject:
Maybe the person who heard it at @U2's twitter account can remember more, they heard it too. (I don't know who does the actual twitter posting from there.)

Just as a thought, how amazing would NLOTH be if instead of GOYB/ IGCIIDGCT/ SUC there was Electrical Storm, The ground beneath her feet, and maybe something from passengers? I feel like ES and TGBHF deserved to be on an album and they have more of a NLOTH vibe than the other recent albums. I played with this playlist the other day and it made a fucking incredible album that flows and works so well!

1. No Line on the horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Electrical Storm
7. Theme from Let's go native
8. The ground beneath her feet
9. Beach sequence
10. Fez- Being Born
11.Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

:drool::drool:

My tracklist is odd and long but I love it.

60 Seconds In Kingdom Come
Unknown Caller
No Line On The Horizon
Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
Theme From Let's Go Native
Fast Cars (Jackknife Lee Mix)
Crazy Tonight
Mercy
The First Time (Reprise)
The First Time
Stateless
Soon
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots (Extended Intro)
Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
Beach Sequence
Fez/Being Born
Breathe
White As Snow
Moment of Surrender
Your Blue Room

Back
Top Bottom