3rd single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do admit magnificent did dissapear for some reason from radio stations here such as nova and triple m. Very strange....

On another note the magnificent ep's are finally available on australian itunes and are charting quite well......

everyone get over there and snap them up!!

They said that they would release 4 singles from the album. I've seen this done before. I think sometimes a record company decides to release 4 singles of an album, but in the end only release 2 or 3 because the success of these singles has not been good, and sometimes the opposite can happen. But there's only 2 songs on NO line that are suitable as a single and these are Boots and the title track. Magneficent isn't catchy enough and it lacks the dynamics of these 2 songs.

Magneficent isn't catchy enough and it lacks the dynamics of these 2 songs.

how is Magnificent not catchy exactly? I can understand the argument that it has a very standard U2 sound, I can understand the argument that the lyrics aren't the best - I don't agree with either of these but I can understand them.

I’m sorry but there is no way that you can convince me that it isn’t catchy song. I don’t know what you are listening to but you are wrong.

It's only around 4 minutes long, yet for some reason, it seems as though it's much longer. This happens when there are no dynamics in a song. Hands That Built America, Miss Sarajevo and Mothers of the Dissapeared are a few other examples that either seem much longer than they actually are or have no solid structure of a typical song. That's ok, I like these songs. I'm not suggesting that every U2 has to have a typical ABABA structure, but these are not intended as singles. If you're releasing a song as a single I think it needs strong dynamics in the playing and even a solid structure. Magneficent also fails because it lacks no catchy hooks, many people have said this about NLOTH in reveiws I've read from critics and on fans. SYCMIOYO doesn't really have a structure but it has heavy contrast between the end and the begining and a big meaty hook

It's only around 4 minutes long, yet for some reason, it seems as though it's much longer. This happens when there are no dynamics in a song. Hands That Built America, Miss Sarajevo and Mothers of the Dissapeared are a few other examples that either seem much longer than they actually are or have no solid structure of a typical song. That's ok, I like these songs. I'm not suggesting that every U2 has to have a typical ABABA structure, but these are not intended as singles. If you're releasing a song as a single I think it needs strong dynamics in the playing and even a solid structure. Magneficent also fails because it lacks no catchy hooks, many people have said this about NLOTH in reveiws I've read from critics and on fans. SYCMIOYO doesn't really have a structure but it has heavy contrast between the end and the begining and a big meaty hook

The album version is 5 1/2 minutes of pure delight and the single version is 4 1/2 minutes.

Um, Miss Sarajevo was a single. And Hands was sorta a single.

I don't know what you mean by saying Magnificent doesn't have a solid structure or not being catchy... because it's pretty much both. :slant:

Yeah, I'm not one of those insane Magnificent zombies on this board - It isn't the best song on the album or anything, but these criticisms of it are just daft... It's a good song. Definitely solid structure, catchy, etc.....

Yeah it has a structure but it isn't catchy. When something is catchy , it means it has hooks. Many people have said that Magneficent lacks hook. Comments on YouTube, music critics, fans on various forums and my friend Rachel.

Vertigo has a catchy hook: HELLO HELLO , part which Steve Lillywhite used a doubling of the vocal in order to create this hook. It's a pop hook, best thing about pop music is that it's catchy. Ask GAF about why he likes Girls Aloud so much. It's because thier music is so damned catchy and that's why they are very popular over here. A hook is anything that you can remember instantly after listening to a song just once. Magneficent doesn't do that for me.

Yeah it has a structure but it isn't catchy. When something is catchy , it means it has hooks. Many people have said that Magneficent lacks hook. Comments on YouTube, music critics, fans on various forums and my friend Rachel.

Vertigo has a catchy hook: HELLO HELLO , part which Steve Lillywhite used a doubling of the vocal in order to create this hook. It's a pop hook, best thing about pop music is that it's catchy. Ask GAF about why he likes Girls Aloud so much. It's because thier music is so damned catchy and that's why they are very popular over here. A hook is anything that you can remember instantly after listening to a song just once. Magneficent doesn't do that for me.

the "only love" part is very catchy. plus, the song is really driven by the music more than Bono's vocals.

i believe that the lack of radio success is due to them cutting off the amazing intro and the fact that many radio stations pulled the song due to Bono's comments about musicians getting paid for their songs being played on the radio.

My friend Pedro says it has a sick hook...

So now what?

I think Magnificent is the best single choice on the album. I don't know why it hasn't done much better in the charts. It IS catchy, it's a great tune and certainly the most U2ish on the album. I remember some weeks ago when it was released, radio stations were playing it a lot with people saying how much they like the tune. The overall consesus was that it was much better than GOYB. Actually, l was starting to listen to radio more frequently again because I wanted to hear Magnificent on the radio ... though I still feel the edit isn't good, I love the album version more. As for the "hook" ... Magnificent is certainly the song that stays in my head, maybe along with Breathe, when I listen to the album. I think they also managed to do a good live version. I don't know what else you can do, the song is certainly a very good choice for a single, esp. on an album that doesn't have much single material.

As for Crazy Tonight, I freely admit I'm not very keen on this song, and I don't think it will do well in the charts. I started to like it and think it has great dynamics live and there is a certain joy to it, still I don't feel it's single material. On the other hand, I don't care much about singles and charts.

I always thought "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" had hit single written all over it. I think, if anything, that should have been the second single.

Though I never had the "Magnificent" mania that many of the people on this forum did. It wasn't one of my favorite tracks on the new album.

I always thought "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" had hit single written all over it. I think, if anything, that should have been the second single.

Though I never had the "Magnificent" mania that many of the people on this forum did. It wasn't one of my favorite tracks on the new album.

Agree 100%. My music teacher's remark on the album is that a couple of songs had pretty big hit potential, one of them being Crazy Tonight. Same idea I've had since I first heard it! It's catchy, it's got a summer happy vibe, it's very radio friendly and good to sing along.

This remix... ugh, it's just shit. All I can say.

As U2 remixes go, I don't hate it.

But I can't decide if I'm horrified that it's the official single, or intrigued.

As in there's no way in hell this is getting played on the radio, so maybe their attitude toward album/single sales has turned toward 'fuck it.

The only Seattle station this could get played on is C89.5, which is a non-commercial radio station run by students out of a college or high school or something, that plays all these club dance hits and remixes.

Back
Top Bottom