What does B mean by this lyric from Mercy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that it's about people that aren't trying to find luck, so they are basically lucky... (well, something like that) :eyebrow:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
I think that it's about people that aren't trying to find luck, so they are basically lucky... (well, something like that) :eyebrow:

What does that have to do with happiness? Are you saying you need luck to have happiness?

Yeah, he sings "happiness is for the ones who don't really need it"

Who on earth doesn't "need" happiness? I guess it depends on what Bono means by happiness in this lyric...

I'd have to look this up, but he actually discusses this lyric in "Bono: In Conversation". As I recall he is talking about the difference b/w happiness and joy. He says he'd rather have joy. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

:banghead: I have a definite opinion of what I think this line means but I can't seem to put it into words.
:huh:

This line is one that really stands out for me in the song and I think how you interpret it kind of depends on what you think the whole song is about. Which I don't think we've ever had a thread about. :hmm:

neutral said:
:banghead: I have a definite opinion of what I think this line means but I can't seem to put it into words.
:huh:

This line is one that really stands out for me in the song and I think how you interpret it kind of depends on what you think the whole song is about. Which I don't think we've ever had a thread about. :hmm:

So.....? Please try to articulate your thoughts. I'm dying to hear what you think!

"and happiness is for the ones that don't really need it"

For me, you need happiness only when you lack it.
So if you are already happy then you don't need more happiness (you have to share a little!)
Then if you don't need more happiness, you don't take care of it.
And then you don't see anymore happiness coming to you because for you it is forever, once you've reached it.
It's a shame not to value your own happiness, even if it's a very little one, because you are lucky. Not everyone is happy.
But it's a so impalpable thing and everyone has his own definition of happiness...

Yeah. I thought he meant that someone who is truly happy wouldn't need to look for it. Also that true happiness isn't like a temporary high, but like being happy with your life. I dunno if that makes alot of sense hehe.

Back
Top Bottom