Staring At The Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badyouken

Acrobat
I've always had my own interpretation of the song Staring At The Sun but I'd like to hear what are yours. This song can be interpreted in so many ways...

What do you think it's about?

I noticed the "sun" is referenced quite a bit in POP. I think it's a reference to Jesus - the "son" of God.

SATS seems like a profession of faith to me (sprinkled with Bono's ever-present doubt).

The "sun" is mentioned in "Gone" as well. "I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...". I think my interpretation fits there as well.

Your thoughts?

Maybe Staring At The Sun is a reference to Jesus and a question of faith. Or maybe it is just a matter of religion.

I have been reading a book called the Unforgettable Fire by Eamon Dunhy(sp?) and it goes into some background into Bono's struggle with religion and his choice between the Catholics and Protestants and how he seemed to not fit into either denomination. There also seems to be some political struggle being contemplated within the song.

Does anyone know about Plato's Cavern theory?

"rather go blind..."

I'm pretty sure it's about that... not being afraid to look at the world as it really is.

I've always thought of the lyrics as Bono basically saying that humans continue to kill each other for all kinds of ridiculous reasons. Helpless lovers are left to contemplate this waste of human life "in the shade of a willow tree." When the "armor plated suits and ties" are running things.. well, sometimes you'd like for it all to just go away. With that perspective in mind, saying "rather go blind" is much like saying "ignorance is bliss." I have an issue of Rolling Stone (don't remember which - late 80s I think) where Bono or Edge says that U2 is "anti apathy without direction." If they didn't stick by that, then I think they would be staring at the sun. But King B and his men will never give in.

-------------------
"And I have seen the sunrise over the river, the freeway, reminding of this mess we're in.. and the city sun sets over me." PJ Harvey

Back
Top Bottom