Sexual Messages in U2's Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another great thread. This has been quite the interesting day on here!:shifty:

Am I the only one who never saw that part: "And you can swallow
Or you can spit
You can throw it up
Or choke on it"

as sex- reference? For me it was about the terror and problems of everyday life. You have to pretend to be someone else, not showing your real self being an "acrobat" and on top of that, the life itself gives you so much shit, you either, deal with it "swallow it", try to get rid of it "spit it out" or you "choke" on life's hardships.
I don't know a sex reference just don't fit into the song at all! If I want to see it as sex reference it just feels to random to me and frankly, kinda lame.
So I really don't wanna see it as lame blowjob reference.:reject:

Yeah to be honest some of these lyrics seen as merely sexual sortof cheapens them and they seem rather obvious if not pedestrian seen in that light. I think Bono's a bit deeper than that...not saying he wouldn't write it so blatantly, but on the whole I think he means something a bit deeper..

Yeah to be honest some of these lyrics seen as merely sexual sortof cheapens them and they seem rather obvious if not pedestrian seen in that light. I think Bono's a bit deeper than that...not saying he wouldn't write it so blatantly, but on the whole I think he means something a bit deeper..

Yeah, I could not agree more! There is nothing wrong with a blatant reference about sex in a sex- lovesong but not in a song with a completely diffrent topic.

The most brilliant thing about Bono's lyrics is that they can be interpreted in many ways. Some spiritual, some religious, some sexual, it just works every time. That's why their songs appeal to so many people.

In this thread we prefer to see things the perverted way. :wink:

The most brilliant thing about Bono's lyrics is that they can be interpreted in many ways. Some spiritual, some religious, some sexual, it just works every time. That's why their songs appeal to so many people.

You mean in Angel of Harlem, "so long" is not actually a sexual message? :sad:

Absolutely, I agree. I was just more talking to the smattering of references there seemed to be recently across many threads.

Then again, you guys think Bono is a liar, too, so it's to be expected I suppose :hmm:

:wink:

Agree. Reading some of the stuff posted here makes me feel uncomfortable. It's not fun to talk like that about some of Bono's most profound lyrics. I'm all for fun, but there's a limit to it and it's a shame to see this whole forum going downhill with nonsense discussion. I usually expect U2 fans to have some more sensitivity about these songs.

Mabe I'm just a little too old for this kind of conversation :shrug:

I would like to think I'm pretty tame when it comes to dirty jokes. This thread's fucking hilarious.

Id just like to clarify that Im not disturbed or upset if someone immediately sees "secks" in Bono's lyrics. I mean, I find it amusing that their mind goes there first, maybe, but it doesn't bother me per se. I just think there's generally way more to them than the overt sexual..

Maybe that's how the thread originally started, but surely you realize that long ago it turned into "turn u2 lyrics into sexual messages" thread, right?

Of course I don't automatically see it that way, but it is pretty funny to see how you can interpret the words in different ways. We have to do something to pass the time between albums!:wink:

Is Song For Someone about losing your virginity? "I was told I'd feel nothing the first time"

Bono offer mentions this song is about firsts, including sexual firsts, and that line is the one I assume is the sexual reference..... But Im not sure I understand how he intended it. I am about, and the only thing I can come up with is 'I was told I'd feel nothing' meaning emotionally feel nothing.
Imagine school yard buddies egging him on 'just do it! Get it over with, anyone will do, cuz you won't feeling emotions the first time"
Is that how others interrupt the line?

Back
Top Bottom