I need some help with a song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
This is for an english school project. I?m taking a pos-advanced course this year and the teacher requested us to do this task. We?re supposed to bring a song and its lyrics to be studied. First we?ll have a listening activity when the students must fill in the blanks with the suppressed words or expressions from the lyrics. After that we?ll discuss the lyrics, line by line if necessary, in order to solve any remaining doubts. Then each one will tell the others what the song is about, according to his/her comprehension of the lyrics. Eventually the student that brought the song (Me ;) ) needs to deliver an oral explanation about the song and it?s history/concept.

My choice is an outstanding piece, from an album filled with great lyrics IMO. It?s Please. I?m thinking of taking the single version to class.

Okay, now for my request. First I?ll tell you my impressions about the song. For me, Please is like a plea for the peace agreement in Northern Ireland, though I wouldn?t be able to actually explain to my classmates all details contained in the lyrics. So I would like you to help me with a few specific lines, like the ones below:

So you never knew
How low you'd stoop to make that call

What would be that call? A call to denounce someone? To denounce a friend or relative or whoever one might know is involved with terrorism? If not, what would that call be?

September
Streets capsizing
Spilling over
And down the drain
Shards of glass
Splinters like rain
But you could only feel
Your own pain

I think he referes to terrorist attacks here, a bombing somewhere, but I might be wrong. If I can remember clearly something really bad happened not long before the Good Friday agreement. Is there any chance that I could be right? If not, what would be your interpretation for those lines?

October
Talk getting nowhere
November
December
Remember
Are we just starting again

Here I think he?s talking about the peace conversations that were so difficult to go ahead, as if they were running in circles or something. What do you all think?

That?s it. I think I can handle the rest ;). But please, feel free to add any comments and/or personal interpretation of this amazing song.

Thanks in advance
MT

Last edited:
You might want to consider searching this forum ONLY (you can do this in the search options) for "Please"...I know there's been at least one very long thread devoted to this song. :)

Back
Top Bottom