What Do You Want To Read In a Book About Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Val

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I am presently writing a book proposal for a fun, charming, and informative book I am marketing for publication.
I certainly could use some input from fans across the world as to what excites you, what do you want to experience, when reading about the rockstar / activist, Bono?

What better audience would this question best be addressed to than that of Interference.com members? I think none.
So blue crack addicts, what say you?

Last edited:
Carek1230 said:
Haven't all the books been written already?
Fair question.

Bono never stops, which gives biographers much material to write about. His accomplishments are always noteworthy, and his growth as a front man and activist is vast. He shares much of his philosophy through his songs and speeches, and many (I for one) find them enlightening and moving.

I have included fun stories of Bono, showing his goofy side as well. I guess you can say this book is aimed more at (but not exclusively) the "We love him, can't get enough of him, fan."

Anyway, thanks for the question. It made me take a good look at what I have written to insure it is fresh and interesting.

Guitar talking ......

Like Many people don't know , but Bono is a bigger collector of guitars than Edge himself , COBL's Gretsch Guitar actually did belong to him

redhotswami said:
I'm not really certain I have an answer right now, so I suppose this is a pointless entry, but I do wanna give you kudos for writing. I hope you share your progress with us :)

Your entry is far from pointless, as I was beginning to question whether there is an audience for this book.
Interferencers have inspired me to write this book in the first place as the comments, questions and feedback on Bono's endeavors has been so engaging. I have a blast here, and want to make sure I give back. Interference will be mentioned as long as I have permission to do so.

Anyway, if you do come up with any feedback as to what you'd like to see in the book, please post.
Thanks redhotswami for your good wishes, and fyi things are happening with it. When I know for sure where it's at, I will tell.

J_NP said:
Guitar talking ......

Like Many people don't know , but Bono is a bigger collector of guitars than Edge himself , COBL's Gretsch Guitar actually did belong to him

thanks so much! If you have anymore interesting facts on this subject you'd like to share, you can email me at
Mustreed@aol.com

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think there is any about Bono that U2 fans don't already know. The only thing I can think of is a book about the relationship between Bono and Africa.

Bono and Africa seem spiritually connected. Perhaps a book about the devastation and hope in Africa as well as Bono could be an interesting read. The journey that the two have taken together would be quite interesting. Maybe it could attract non-U2 fans that are into RED and the One Campaign.

Screwtape2...I have included serious facts about Bono's work toward promoting trade in Africa as well as some fun stories of his activities there. I think the readers will smile a lot while reading this book.

Thanks for your good wishes, Bonocomet.

An Edge book...now that might take someone brainier than I.

Screwtape2 said:
The only thing I can think of is a book about the relationship between Bono and Africa.

Bono and Africa seem spiritually connected. Perhaps a book about the devastation and hope in Africa as well as Bono could be an interesting read. The journey that the two have taken together would be quite interesting. Maybe it could attract non-U2 fans that are into RED and the One Campaign.

Bono talks a huge amount about Africa in the "In Conversation" book; that subject constitutes a large segment of the text, so I don't think that needs to be covered again.

What seemed to be missing from that semi-autobiographical book, as many people remarked, was Bono being really candid about the personal aspects of his life. I don't think you will ever see that happen, unless he pens a book himself, many years from now (and I don't see that occuring).

I do not think you will be able to uncover anything that is "hidden" that other people have not discovered, including many authors who have been personally close to Bono and the band (e.g., Flanagan, Fallon, Asseyas, Dunphy). But that's the only aspect of his life that hasn't been accessed by the authors of the many books about him. He has worked hard (and successfully) at keeping his private life private.

So I think you might be on the right track in saying that you want to focus on the "fun" side on his life, which certainly hasn't been given enough focus. We have heard from many people that he is a wildly funny and eccentric person, and that rarely comes through in the more serious books about him. So yeah, that would be a new angle. There are countless anecdotes that touch on that aspect of his character. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding them. (Hot Press is a good source , for a start. You've probably already gone there.)

Good luck with this!

Thank you, Biff. Knowing you are a big fan and feel ok with highlighting Bono's fun, light hearted side makes me feel confident that I'm on the right track.

Another idea would be an examination of the power of Bono's lyrics. You could look at how they affect fans, what makes them so powerful (maybe talk to a pyschologist or something) and teh various uses of them whether they're hope for people in rough times or an education tool. I don't know. That is the only twist on Bono that seems left.

Screwtape2 said:
Another idea would be an examination of the power of Bono's lyrics. You could look at how they affect fans, what makes them so powerful (maybe talk to a pyschologist or something) and teh various uses of them whether they're hope for people in rough times or an education tool. I don't know. That is the only twist on Bono that seems left.
You sure do have some good ideas.

biff said:

So I think you might be on the right track in saying that you want to focus on the "fun" side on his life, which certainly hasn't been given enough focus. We have heard from many people that he is a wildly funny and eccentric person, and that rarely comes through in the more serious books about him. So yeah, that would be a new angle. There are countless anecdotes that touch on that aspect of his character. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding them. (Hot Press is a good source , for a start. You've probably already gone there.)

Good luck with this!

I would love to read a book focused more on his "fun" side. I love those interviews, etc. where he just makes you laugh or those fan stories where he's done something really funny, since he seems to have a great sense of humour, and I don't think enough people realize that. I would definitely buy this book. Even if some of the stories are available elsewhere, it's nice to have them all in one place, too, so I wouldn't worry about repeating too many stories. At least, that's my opinion anyway.

^ I was just about to say something like that! Bono can come out with some hilarious one liners and anecdotes, and sometimes interviews with him get a bit bogged down by all the africa stuff. Which is interesting too - but can be a bit heavy going. So it would nice to be read quotes of bono/stories about him that involve some of his political views so that everyone can see his fun side.
Good luck with the book :up:

I'm so glad to hear you all would like a light, fun look at Bono, as that is the theme of my book. I have touched on his serious side as well, so feel it is well balanced.

I'm stoked by all of your feedback. Thanks so much, and know I'm open to more ideas and feedback.

Val said:
I am presently writing a book proposal for a fun, charming, and informative book I am marketing for publication.
I certainly could use some input from fans across the world as to what excites you, what do you want to experience, when reading about the rockstar / activist, Bono?

What better audience would this question best be addressed to than that of Interference.com members? I think none.
So blue crack addicts, what say you?

Hi,

Just a few questions off the top of my head.
Is this an authorized biography? Also, wondering about your source material and personal insight. Do you have original material, e.g. from personal interviews, etc. or are you compiling your book from second-, third- and fourth-hand information?

I have never met Bono in person.
The information in my book has been gathered from respectible publications as well as speeches and interviews by/with Bono. I can say that all of my sources are checked, rechecked, and checked again. Third and fourth-hand information would not be trustworthy and is not included.
My personal insight of Bono comes from his words and actions which I greatly respect and admire. The book reflects this.
Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
JCOSTER said:
I would like to find out more about his relationship with Ali and what kind of dad he is.

I do not mention Ali or the kids in the book. I do his mother, though. I have included some very sweet tributes to her.

Last edited:
What about Bono's supposed affairs in the early to mid-1990s?

I remember him making some cryptic responses on the seedy articles...

I have no plans of addressing anything as personal as Bono's marriage. It would just be speculation, and there's enough of that in the tabloids. I do address his adventures in the 90's. That decade was a time of huge growth for Bono, and a super time for the fans.

thanks. , Caroni...I am in the early stages of talks with two interested parties, and am very excited.
I want it to be great. I want you all to love it!

How about photos? Will you be including photographs to go along with the stories? I think it sounds great so far. Good luck, I think you already have some very interested customers! :)

Hi Bonocomet...yes, photos will be included.
It is very common that agents as well as publishers make changes in manuscripts and format, so not positive how it will ultimately look if it gets that far along. It's the authors job to find the balance between their vision and the needs of the publishing world. I'm trying.

Anyway, I'm taking a breather tomorrow and going up to theGap to have a look around at the RED table. Enjoy your day tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom