How do you think the new tour will go on shows being recorded ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
I live In Dallas and during the Elevation tour I got the 2nd Dallas show almost 2 days after the show which at least in my experience was unheard of! Im guessing I got it from either the taper or a friend of the taper.

The truth is Im sure U2 will come through Texas again and Ill be there but with whats been pointed out do you think fans who go to the next tours shows will have a hard time getting the boot of the show they went to?

*It just has me a little worried considering in the last 3 concerts I ve been to in Dallas only Bruce Springsteen was available*

With the techology these days, and the internet, I think the shows from elevation tour were going around fairly quickly.

Maybe U2 would even allow trading so no one will have to worry about getting caught...if not just follow several bands and release their shows on their own.

U2 has a huge fan base, including many tapers. Chances are good that most, if not all, U.S. shows will be recorded. Whether the tapes will circulate, and be easily accessible, is another question. As discussed on other threads lately, a lot of tapers got really irked by what The Scientist has called third party SHNing (basically where someone other than the taper hosts a show on a public server, or torrents it).

Some shows will probably always be readily available for downloading, as there will be some tapers who will seed their own master tapes . . . and there will always be those who engage in third party SHNing . . . but the more the third party SHNing, and the torrenting of shows without the tapers' consent happens, the more cautious certain tapers will be about sharing their shows widely.

I don't think anyone would complain if U2 sold soundboards of all of their shows, although I'm not confident U2 will go this route.

The best ways to ensure you get a copy of the show you were at are (1) tape the show yourself; there's still lots of time to save $$ and buy a decent taping rig; you can find great deals on Ebay if you start now and are patient; (2) try to do something to reduce the third party SHNing and torrenting-without-taper-authorization problem.

Great post huskies. :wink: I agree with what you said here.

U2 is a big enough band that MULTIPLE tapers will generally tape a given date. Of course even then there may be equiptment problems for some (battery failure, or equiptment failure), loud audience members near them ruining the sound, or they might get busted inside. Just remember that these days that generally the ones that surface can be the lesser recordings (md often) and the best ones (dats + high end mics) generally don't.

If you aren't a taper (which actually I'm not) at least be taper-oriented in how you embrace this past-time. Don't third-party shn, get to KNOW tapers and help them out at the shows (you might even want to buy them a ticket), know how to trade via snail mail (of course), and be prepared to lose some easy quick access for a BETTER trading comunity. If the community dosen't reflect that the tapers control the flow of music and respects their needs then WE as fans will find the well drying up. :(

Last edited:
I have found generous tapers on Sharing the Groove, that have torrented shows in just a few hours after the show. You will find for the next tour, they will be posted even faster than before. BitTorrent, is much easier to use than FTP, and most everyone that trades online now uses that.

Make sure all you snail mail folks get permission to snail mail anything either. Just cause there is no taper info, doesn't mean a taper wants their recordings snail mailed. ;)

Chrisedge said:
I have found generous tapers on Sharing the Groove, that have torrented shows in just a few hours after the show. You will find for the next tour, they will be posted even faster than before. BitTorrent, is much easier to use than FTP, and most everyone that trades online now uses that.

Make sure all you snail mail folks get permission to snail mail anything either. Just cause there is no taper info, doesn't mean a taper wants their recordings snail mailed. ;)

I think you are going to be a tad surprised actually. There will be recordings of every show but I think there is going to be a quality difference next outing on the whole and there will be a few shows that may not "appear" to have been recorded. Ask the Coldplay traders about this one. They kind of had a microcosm of what I think may happen with U2 next tour as alot of the people that did Coldplay last outing are U2 tapers primarily.

You know what the arguments are for a taper not torrenting and they are very valid and reasonable. You may want to torrent your shows but it doesnt make it right to torrent others shows or wrong that they dont want them put on a server. I know you are trying to get a "dig" into something you obviously disagree with and putting a "wink" on it doesnt really disguise that. I dont have a problem if the taper actually does want to torrent their show, they did the recording, its their perogative. Huskies has said, the torrent group should get their own group of tapers together, then there wont be any problems. I think you guys should go for it. Then this debate will be over.

Last edited:
the scientist is right, non-tapers can be more taper oriented, and think about the needs and wants of the tapers (which of course isn't the same for all tapers). it's not all about quick, instantaneous, easy access to shows. third-party shn'ing, in the long run, is going to cut access to shows, as more and more tapres who don't want tehir shows hubbed or torrented wont' release them at all.

blue room riases a good point, there may be some shows that "appear" not to be recorded because they won't circulate at all in the public realm.

huskies suggests a solid idea: there's no better time than the present for the pro-torrenters to orgainzize their own taping groups, and torrent THOSE tapes rather than third party shn'ing someone else's tape who doesn't want it torrented.

chrisedge, i disagree with your implciation that those who dont want their shows torrented and spread via sharing the groove type networks arne't "generous." i know you've taped some shows, and hubbed them for anyone to download, and that's your perogative, and i don't think anyone has a problem when a taper torrents his own master tape. but ther'es nothing honorable about third party shn'ing and torrenting someone else's master tape without their permission. by taping shows in the first place, the taper by definition is generous. how he distributes, or doesn't distribute, his tape is up to him. i don't understand why this is all so hard to fathom.

again, the best solution, for those who expect every show torrented on sharing the groove and the elevaSHN torrenter, is to organize a group of tapers who agree to host up their own masters. i fear, though, the problem is, at the end of the day, most people don't want to put forth the effort or claim they can't afford to (yet they can afford a cmputer and cable connection). those living in parts of the world where u2 doesn't tour can, as the scientist states, be taper oriented and find other ways to help out.

Most tapes (Probably 95%) are hosted without any issues. Quit trying to make this more than it is. A witch hunt.

How many Elevation recordings were released that the taper didn't want out, that were hosted or torrented? List them. Not many. Some people even bitched about ones that were never hosted, but Blanked and Postaged.

the white flag said:
chrisedge, i disagree with your implciation that those who dont want their shows torrented and spread via sharing the groove type networks arne't "generous."

I never implied this. I have recordings that have been traded to me, that have never been released, as they were traded with rules.

My wink was a joke on the fact that many recordings were traded with "no rules attached". Don't assume that just because you don't like online trading means the taper didn't want it traded that way.

Why is it ok for you to say, "If you don't have permission to host it, you can only trade it via snail mail?" You don't know what "rules" were attached to that show. Ideally we strive for permission. But do you have permission to trade shows via snail mail? You don't, but assume that that is what the taper "approved". It might not be, or it might be.

Chrisedge said:

My wink was a joke on the fact that many recordings were traded with "no rules attached". Don't assume that just because you don't like online trading means the taper didn't want it traded that way.

Why is it ok for you to say, "If you don't have permission to host it, you can only trade it via snail mail?" You don't know what "rules" were attached to that show. Ideally we strive for permission. But do you have permission to trade shows via snail mail? You don't, but assume that that is what the taper "approved". It might not be, or it might be.

OK, then dont assume that they meant for them to be on a server either. My perspective is purely from a personal one. I know several people that have expressed how pissed off they were with the way things went down on the last tour and have expressed that they will not let it happen again with their material. I'am not saying the server crowd was completely to blame initially as alot of tapers didnt realize the free for all that would occur and didnt put any rules on their recordings. I'am saying for the future they would want these stipulation and from what has transpired lately it would appear that their wishes will be ignored. I have never said all tapers feel this way, most I know though dont like the public server situation at all and are planning to pull back or are thinking seriously of doing so on the next tour. We will see what happens, should be interesting. Like I said before, share away, but get your own group of tapers together that you know want it that way. There are no questions or problems then. If there are so many tapers that feel the way you do as you have indicated, that shouldnt be any problem.

Examples on the last tour was more of the MP3 problem. SHN was still fairly new and the torrent/SHN crowd has developed new problems since which I have outlined several times in other posts that no one, including you, have really disputed. Your own recordings were put on FTP mp3 servers even though you asked it not be initially on the last tour. That is the problem, people knew it shouldnt be done that way and they did it anyway. There is no accountability at all. The people I know are not happy about it and they MAY elect to hold back or be more selective as a result. Thats all I'am saying. Like I said, there will most likely be recordings available of most of the shows. I could be wrong, I'am just going on what I know from those I have talked to privately.

Back
Top Bottom