Your "First Time"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
This past week I've been listening to some of Zooropa (especially Stay and The First Time). (I listen to The First Time as I type this by the way :sexywink:.) It really heavily brought back some memories of last year when I really got madly in love with Zooropa. I had heard it before but it was just not clicking with me. It was around this time last year, May to be exact, that I dug Zooropa out from the darkness. All this time shutting it down and denying it, I had regretted so much. It was the "first time" I really heard this thing for real. Every song has something to bring to the table. Nothing sounds like "filler" or sounds "reused".

Stay (Faraway, So Close!) is my favorite song of all time. It's the song that if I had to choose just one to take anywhere I went I'd choose. It's outpouring of just beautiful, it leaves me in awe. I have big memories of listening to that one last year. I remember driving to this song and still do.

The First Time is just a very beautiful, relaxing piece. My memory with this song is my cat actually sitting next to my iHome with this song playing. She loves it. It's a song about "being saved" or finding God. Whether you believe in that or not that's your business, I find this to be one of U2's most absolute Christian songs ever. It's one of the songs I want at my funeral. I love this song to death, although not as much as Stay. Just a perfect melody all throughout the song.

Zooropa I've always considered a "space rock song".:lol: Bono talking about mild and green and the weird alien sounds in the beginning is just too tough to deny. I like this song. It shows the weird, experimental and dangerous side of U2. I wish they'd go back to that form of songwriting. I can't pinpoint a certain memory with this song but I just love the way this song builds up.

Numb I remember from the video. Never really liked this song. Although I do enjoy Bono singing his popular "fat lady voice" of that era. Sorry guys I just can't seem to get Numb.

Lemon is one of U2's most amazing and experimental songs ever. If I was around at the time of it's release I would have been surprised at the direction they took with Lemon. I remember watching the video and being so fascinated at how good this song made me feel. The piano in the chorus and the falsetto from Bono. It's fun to dance to as well. It was a "love at first sight" kind of thing for me with Lemon.

Dirty Day good song. Can't say much about it other than I just like the "dirty" feel of this song. I know that was corny.:lol:

Daddy's Gonna Pay. I love how I was just starting to get into wanting to drive as I got into this song. I remember showing my mom the song title and she was laughing saying "Yeah your dad's gonna have to pay for YOUR crashed car alright".:lol: She's funny like that a lot. This one of those songs that makes you feel like a badass ya know? It gets me pumped up.

Babyface. The topic...a bit disturbing, yes. The song...freakin AWESOME!!!! I remember sitting in my bedroom, headphones on, and nothing better to do. It's just a fun song that is great for driving to. And if you speed up the tempo you have an even funner song to enjoy.

Now I'm done. Even though there is more to Zooropa but I should really shutup. I've been so bored that I have to go over Zooropa again.:lol: I listened to this album in my room for a whole week. Nothing but this record for a whole week. I never get tired of it and have many memories I keep trying so hard to relive. I guess I won't relive most of those memories though but it was so worth getting into. As for the people who participate in this thread you don't have to do what I did.:lol: I can't imagine making you do that. I just wanted to hear of your "first time" with U2 albums.

(I'm really sorry for the load of nothing-ness above. I guess I really got into a writers mood tonight.)

At age 13, my friend and I got into U2 at the same time, 1995. My first albums were Achtung Baby, War and Joshua Tree... obvious choices. For whatever reason, his first U2 album was Zooropa. He brought it over and we stayed up listening to it all night. That was the first time I appreciated an ALBUM as a whole entity. Prior to that, I would just put in any cd and just listen to the radio singles. It took me forever to listen to the 2nd half of the Joshua Tree. I really credit ZOoropa with being the whole reason I am a diehard U2 fan instead of a guy who knows the radio hits. Great record.

I loved Zooropa for a long time as a left-field continuation of the AB era, but eventually it sunk in just how much of a well constructed concept album it is, which is so impressive given how rapidly it was created, I've loved a lot of the material they've come up with since then, but that was the last time they really truly trusted themselves and didn't care about what the market would bear. Now when they think of new ideas or creative veins they water it down, and if we're lucky we rabid fans get to hear some of what the rest of the world didn't. They also start off with focused full-album ideas that get chipped away in that process, which disappoints me, and SOA seemed like the perfect antidote to that, ah well, some day the U2 archives will be open, it will be a sad time because it'll mean they're done, but it will also be a glorious time.

I still listen to quite a few songs off Zooropa every so often. The Junk Day mix of Dirty Day probably gets played the most, even though it wasn't officially on that album. Other than that, I do here Lemon and the title track a bit more often than the others though.

when I listen to Zooropa I think of Zoo TV concert, and then Achtung Baby and a song on it and that big king sized prick I met at the Ice Bowl that time.

The First Time is so awesome, but I keep seeing the beginning of Million Dollar Hotel and yer man running to jump off, so I always visualise this person doing so and being free. (think of the movie!) :ohmy:
its a beautiful song...............

I do talk :nerd: fashion

An album opening with Zooropa ending in the wanderer and with stay in the middle has to be an all time classic.

Back
Top Bottom