Year-end "Rank the U2 albums" after SOI honeymoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny thing is, I've loved it from the start. People kept telling me it was the novelty, my opinion will change after a while, I just love it cause it's new material.... yet with SOI I have the complete opposite. I just feel meh throughout the album and have stopped listening pretty quickly, while every time a NLOTH song comes on my ipod (well except magnificent and cedars) I get excited again. There's only two duds on the record, which is quite rare for me. . :)

I loved nloth when it first came out but it weared off after 2009(when i saw the 360 tour) now id probaly put it in my bottom 3 of u2 albums.

I like nloth,mos,breathe and maybe boots live but the rest i never listen too.

SOI im still listening to daily which i wasnt doing at this stage with nloth. Time is the key i think.

If you still love NLOTH now then you will love it forever.

People do this?

Seriously. I mean I like Zooropa and all, but really?

I like Achtung Baby better than Zooropa, but I don't think that switching the two is absurd. But Zooropa is my second favorite U2 album, so I still think very highly of it.

I like Achtung Baby better than Zooropa, but I don't think that switching the two is absurd. But Zooropa is my second favorite U2 album, so I still think very highly of it.

I'm relistening to make sure I'm not throwing an unnecessary bitch fit, but my gut feeling is that while there are good songs on Zooropa, it lacks the ferocity, drive and coherence of AB. While I know not everyone cares for So Cruel or TTTYAATW, I feel like the whole back half of Zooropa is kinda wandery and weird, not in the good way. Daddy's Gonna Pay and Some Days just don't have their equal for awkwardness on AB. :twocents:

Early voting after 17 votes:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Songs of Innocence
Boy
War
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

The top four and the bottom four are still the same. SOI is currently dropping from 5th to 7th. ATYCLB moved up from 9th to 6th. The middle section is all over the place as usual. It's still early voting. There were 101 votes last time.

There are people who have SOI in the top fucking three, above The Unforgettable Fire and War. That's more bizarre to me than Zooropa above Achtung Baby.

The Joshua Tree

Achtung Baby

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa

Songs of Innocence

Pop

War

Boy

No Line On the Horizon

Rattle and Hum

October

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
Pop
Songs of Innocence
Zooropa
No Line On The Horizon
Rattle and Hum
Boy
The Unforgettable Fire
War
October

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Songs Of Innocence
Pop
All That You Cant Leave Behind
Zooropa
Unforgettable Fire
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
War
Rattle and Hum
No Line On The Horizon
Boy
October

POP
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
Songs Of Innocence
The Joshua Tree
HTDAAB
NLOTH
War
Zooropa
Passengers
Rattle And Hum
Boy
October

Sent from down the rabbit hole

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. War
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. Songs Of Innocence
8. Boy
9. ATYCLB
10. Rattle & Hum
11 HTDAAB
12. October
13. No Line On The Horizon

Achtung Baby
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Boy
---
Songs of Innocence
No Line on the Horizon
Zooropa
HTDAAB
War
---
ATYCLB
Pop
Rattle and Hum
October

As you can see, Achtung Baby's honeymoon is not over yet.

Achtung Baby
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Boy
---
Songs of Innocence
No Line on the Horizon
Zooropa
HTDAAB
War
---
ATYCLB
Pop
Rattle and Hum
October

As you can see, Achtung Baby's honeymoon is not over yet.

:lol: Same here, AB's honeymoon will never end. My greatest music album ever made.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Unforgettable Fire

3. Pop
4. The Joshua Tree
5. Zooropa

6. Boy
(Passengers)
7. War (this one has made a surge up my rankings)
8. NLOTH
9. ATYCLB

10. October
11. SOI
12. R&H
13. HTDAAB

Early voting after 17 votes:

Achtung Baby

The Joshua Tree

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa

Pop

Songs of Innocence

Boy

War

No Line On the Horizon

Rattle and Hum

October

The top four and the bottom four are still the same. SOI is currently dropping from 5th to 7th. ATYCLB moved up from 9th to 6th. The middle section is all over the place as usual. It's still early voting. There were 101 votes last time.

You forgot the criminally underrated October. I voted for it in 6th place :tsk:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Unforgettable fire
3. War
4. Songs of Innocence
5. The Joshua Tree
6. No line on the horizon
7. POP
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. Boy
11. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
12. Rattle and hum
13. All this you can't leave behind

Nice to see so much diversity. It proves the band has a very huge fanbase. I'd rather have a song top 20 or something. Some of my worst albums have some of their greatest songs on it....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Year-end "Rank the U2 albums" after SOI honeymoon

Great
1 Joshua Tree 10/10
2 Zooropa 10/10
3 The Unforgettable Fire 10/10
Very Good
4 Boy 9/10
5 Achtung Baby 9/10
6 Pop 9/10
Good
7 War 8/10
8 October 8/10
9 SOI 8/10
10 Rattle and Hum 7.5/10
Decent
11 ATYCLB 7/10
12 Bomb 7/10
13 NLOTH 7/10

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

disclaimer: this is MY BIASED OPINION on each album. When I say "best song" it means "best song for me", even though I know someone else don't like it. I know my opinion is not a fact, just my opinion according to my musical tastes:

Achtung Baby - Not even mildly weak points throughout the album, one homerun after another.

Unforgettable Fire - A couple of really weak tracks for me (4th July + MLK) can't shadow several of the best songs they've made, including 3 of my top 5 songs of all time (Bad + TUF + EPAA). I had to rework the tracklist because I really hated the promenade+4thjuly+bad combo.

Joshua Tree - It has some of their best work, but I'm not a big fan of the TTYW and IGC style even if I don't dislike those songs. A really solid and great album overall.

Boy - Again, another album with no weak points for me. I can't believe this is their first album, it's consistent and yet far from monochromatic. I'm convinced that if a new band released this album right now (2014) it would've been praised to no end as the year's best debut.

---

Songs of Innocence - It's consistent, I don't dislike any song in here, not many really high points.

No Line on the Horizon - Some of their best work of the last 15 years is in here, but is hindered by inconsistence, a couple of weak tracks and bad tracklisting. Imho, it all can be improved through tracklisting, so all in all I ended up ranking it as one of their best works.

Zooropa - An awesome first half and a good but imho inconsistent second one.

HTDAAB - The album is a collection of great individual songs. I'm also blaming tracklisting on this one, which is not really hard to fix.

War - Romantically I think of this as one of their greatest albums of all time... objectively, though, I think that while it has a great first half it also has a rather weak second one. Still a very solid album.

---

ATYCLB - An inconsistent album with some overplayed songs... I like some of those (Beautiful Day) but I never totally enjoyed some others (Stuck). I don't really dislike any track in here (I actually enjoy Grace and Wild Honey), but the inconsistency and a couple of -imho- dull tracks like Stuck and Walk On -I loved it at first- make me not enjoy it as much as I'd like to.

Pop - It has too many songs. It has too many styles. It has too many ideas. Some songs I find them boring (DYFL, LNOE), some songs I really love(Please, Mofo, SATS), and the ones that I love doesn't sound like belonging to the same album. Tracklisting is again heavily to blame, but like I said at first, it has too many songs and actually too many styles.

Rattle and Hum - I'm just counting the 9 studio tracks and I'm even giving it the Silver And Gold studio version to make it 10. Hawkmoon, Heartland, God, Silver And Gold and All I Want is You, are good enough, and I don't mind too much about Desire, Love Rescue Me and Van Diemen's Land, but I don't really enjoy the Angel and WLCTT style.

October - I'll just say that there are some great tracks and some very good demos in here.

You forgot the criminally underrated October. I voted for it in 6th place :tsk:

Being last on a U2 list doesn't mean I put it last in all music.

1. ATYCLB
2. Achtung Baby
3. Pop
4. The Joshua Tree
5. HTDAAB
6. Zooropa
7. Boy
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. October
10. SOI
11. Rattle And Hum
12. NLOTH

Did you miss War or is that #13 for you?

The list is still the same except ATYCLB and SOI are tied.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Boy
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Passengers
5. October
6. Pop
7. Achtung Baby
8. War
9. Zooropa
10. Rattle and Hum
11. Songs of Innocence
12. No Line on the Horizon
13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
14. All That You Can't Leave Behind

The Top Three Remains the Same just slightly differing order:

Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree

Zooropa
Pop
ATYCLB
Songs of Innocence
War
Rattle and Hum
Boy
NLOTH
October
Bomb

Being last on a U2 list doesn't mean I put it last in all music.

I could have sworn it wasn't on your list at all earlier, but it's in my quote. That's all I meant, I didn't think you had listed it in your tally. I didn't see it at all when I first read your post.

Weird. Alls well that ends well. :shrug:

The Top Three Remains the Same just slightly differing order:

Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree

Zooropa
Pop
ATYCLB
Songs of Innocence
War
Rattle and Hum
Boy
NLOTH
October
Bomb

This is a pretty fair list. I'd switch TUF and JT and place set 2 like this.

Pop/ATYCLB
Songs of Innocence
Rattle and Hum
Zooropa
War
Boy
NLOTH
October
Bomb

I know I place R&H unreasonably high by interference standards but I'll still love it forever. It's really, really hard for a new album to compete with the accumulated memory and atmosphere of the stuff of your early fandom, and in my case it's impossible to separate memory and judge by music alone. ATYCLB has some clunkers but places high because of the tour, which I find impossible to separate, and I admit not giving the pre-84 albums a fair shake-- I just don't listen to them enough. Realistically, I think the songwriting on SOI is better (and more consistent) than ATYCLB, but I'm not ready to rank it over yet. I also am more personally attached to NLOTH than Boy, but I can recognize that it's not really a better album.

Back
Top Bottom