Will U2 Tour in arenas in 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I wouldn't understand is this:
Knowing that U2 can draw HUGE crowds to stadiums in US,Canada, South America, Europe and Australia, the possible decision to play arenas has to be an artistic one (and based on Willie's comments it seems to be the case...)
If that's true it would be very disappointing if they end up playing arenas in the US and stadiums in Europe again...

During the Vertigo Tour they playes ~80 shows in arenas (US) and ~30 shows in stadiums (Europe). Why not doing it the other way around for one time?

Europe now has many bigger size indoor arenas with a capacity between 15,000 and 25,000

You must have missed this comment:

And this one...

And this one...

;)

it started off a nice peaceful thread until you started getting shirty...

you just appear to get a kick out of trying to provoke people with outlandish comments that's all... it's getting a bit boring really...

What I wouldn't understand is this:
Knowing that U2 can draw HUGE crowds to stadiums in US,Canada, South America, Europe and Australia, the possible decision to play arenas has to be an artistic one (and based on Willie's comments it seems to be the case...)
If that's true it would be very disappointing if they end up playing arenas in the US and stadiums in Europe again...

During the Vertigo Tour they playes ~80 shows in arenas (US) and ~30 shows in stadiums (Europe). Why not doing it the other way around for one time?

Europe now has many bigger size indoor arenas with a capacity between 15,000 and 25,000

Here they might be wanting to try out the Ziggo dome. Since all big artists do that now and it's supposed to be the state of the art music hall.

hey you should try and experiment, get a new alias and see if you get the same negative response - that would be fascinating actually :D

I would love to see them play arenas again and I think there are a lot of great arenas in Europe with a capacity high enough for U2. They might want to play fewer places but more gings in the single locations. Maybe they'll do arenas first (autumn, winter) and a stadium tour afterwards (spring, summer)? :hmm: Anyway, I just want to get tickets, and I know it will be much tougher when they're be doing arenas.

Bono's voice isn't really a factor here or at least it shouldn't be, since other singers are doing many more gigs and it's not really a question of age, more of how you treat your voice. If he took better care, he'd handle a tour with a tighter schedule as well, I'm pretty sure. But there are other aspects to consider, physical issues, but also stress, family, other obligations etc. I don't think we'll ever see a tour as long as 360 again, we'll have to get used to U2 playing fewer gigs.

I also think they'll probably mix in some arena shows in the US. I'm not really basing that on anything other than the hints various band & crew members have dropped us. I hope so, because that's the only way Ohio is going to get a show. I still say that Ohio could've sustained a 360 stadium show, and am very resentful of the fact that I had to drive to Chicago, E. Lansing and Pittsburgh. WE'RE THE 7th MOST POPULATED STATE IN THE UNION!!

But other than a handful of lower tier US markets, and maybe some places in Southeast Asia, I don't think there is anywhere in the world that U2 couldn't do stadiums. To play arenas in Europe, Australia, South America and bigger NA cities would be pointless, and a waste of time. U2 did 10 arena shows in NYC on Vertigo Tour. They did 3 stadiums shows in NYC on 360 tour, and played to more people, and made more money, all while doing 30% of the work. Can't argue with that logic.

A U.S. arena leg might see places like Albany, Hartford, Buffalo, Ohio, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, Omaha, Kansas City, New Orleans, Oklahoma, Portland, Sacramento, and Ottawa in Canada. Everywhere else could probably do just fine with a stadium show. And an Asian arena leg for Japan, S. Korea, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, India, UAE, etc.

A U.S. arena leg might see places like Albany, Hartford, Buffalo, Ohio, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, Omaha, Kansas City, New Orleans, Oklahoma, Portland, Sacramento, and Ottawa in Canada. Everywhere else could probably do just fine with a stadium show. And an Asian arena leg for Japan, S. Korea, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, India, UAE, etc.

Regarding North America, that's true if U2 are up for the gazillion-arena-shows-in-a-row thing that they did on Vertigo. They may not be. There may be severely reduced ticket supply this time. Like Nick says (as long as U2 don't respond to that with absurd prices, which they could, if they wanted to maximize profit), we will probably all be relatively okay. But the smaller markets that you mentioned may not get shows.

I'm drawn to the spectacle of stadium shows myself. I like knowing that my show is one of only fifteen to twenty in a leg. It's less likely that Bono will wake up thinking "oh boy, time for show thirty-seven of sixty-two over the span of four months". However, an arena leg has a major potential benefit for me: Austin or San Antonio would be in the running for a show. Austin/San Antonio combined is probably large enough to support a stadium show, but the stadium in San Antonio is terrible, and the stadium in Austin is way too big. Austin/San Antonio could easily support an arena show... quite possibly one each, actually.

Regarding Asia, don't hold your breath. I really don't see U2 going to the cost to do that. There would be some pretty complicated logistics. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the PRC's government had a problem with U2 still because of their 1997 performance at a Tibetan independence benefit show.

U2 are going to play arenas in N. America next tour, that is their plan currently. Book it.

Europe is a little more fuzzy. But it will most likely be stadiums as usual.

Hey, Blue Room, are you sharing some insider information here? ;)

I'm joking. I agree; it seems the band feel American arenas are the way to go next time around. From what they hinted at after 360, they might be going for something more stripped down, but I'm banking on it being Vertigo-style with stadiums in Europe.

And an Asian leg, with Japan, Hong Kong,etc., would be nice. If they do strip down, this would be a possibility. I'd like to see them play countries they haven't or have rarely gone to.

Regarding North America, that's true if U2 are up for the gazillion-arena-shows-in-a-row thing that they did on Vertigo. They may not be. There may be severely reduced ticket supply this time. Like Nick says (as long as U2 don't respond to that with absurd prices, which they could, if they wanted to maximize profit), we will probably all be relatively okay. But the smaller markets that you mentioned may not get shows.

I'm drawn to the spectacle of stadium shows myself. I like knowing that my show is one of only fifteen to twenty in a leg. It's less likely that Bono will wake up thinking "oh boy, time for show thirty-seven of sixty-two over the span of four months". However, an arena leg has a major potential benefit for me: Austin or San Antonio would be in the running for a show. Austin/San Antonio combined is probably large enough to support a stadium show, but the stadium in San Antonio is terrible, and the stadium in Austin is way too big. Austin/San Antonio could easily support an arena show... quite possibly one each, actually.

Regarding Asia, don't hold your breath. I really don't see U2 going to the cost to do that. There would be some pretty complicated logistics. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the PRC's government had a problem with U2 still because of their 1997 performance at a Tibetan independence benefit show.

I can see them doing the $30 to $250 price range again, with floor tickets at $55. Or the $49.50 to $160 prices like in Vertigo. All depends on how many shows they do.

I would love to see one arena show, as the only U2 show I've seen is in a stadium (which to me hosts a great atmosphere) - but maybe not as intimate and amazing as an arena show.

I don't think it will be hard to get tickets if they do an arena tour in the US, unless the new album is a huge phenomenal smash on the charts and brings all the teens and tweens out of the woodwork. Which isn't likely to happen.

Wasn't it said that the 360 tour didn't turn a profit until a long way into it? Financial risk is a factor in stadium tours. So if the band are into money as much as some of us think, then perhaps they might want to dial down the risk and play it safe for the next tour. And if that means playing to fewer people than demand then so be it.

Wasn't it said that the 360 tour didn't turn a profit until a long way into it? Financial risk is a factor in stadium tours. So if the band are into money as much as some of us think, then perhaps they might want to dial down the risk and play it safe for the next tour. And if that means playing to fewer people than demand then so be it.

Well, 360 didn't turn a profit until a long way into it if you count the costs associated with hosting shows for the entire tour. Really, U2 never had to worry about 360 making a profit.

right now I don't care where U2 do their next tour as long as I'm not stuck next to nick in the crowd

Bono needs to go on the Mick Jagger excercise regime (a 2km jog every morning and a diet comprising of nothing but salads and mineral water). Then they can do an extensive arena tour and everyone will be happy :D

Bono needs to go on the Mick Jagger excercise regime (a 2km jog every morning and a diet comprising of nothing but salads and mineral water). Then they can do an extensive arena tour and everyone will be happy :D

Everyone except for Bono.

I don't think it will be hard to get tickets if they do an arena tour in the US, unless the new album is a huge phenomenal smash on the charts and brings all the teens and tweens out of the woodwork. Which isn't likely to happen.

Odd logic. For all intents and purposes, NLOTH didn't dent the charts and didn't resonate with the teens and tweens, yet they sold out every single show possible for stadiums. With a stadium capacity roughly 3x-4x, it'll be that much more difficult to score a ticket... even with a floppy album.

At this point, going to see U2 live is just something to do -- regardless of how uncool they are. They don't need a huge album to sell out anywhere. If they do have a huge smash hit on the next CD, it'll just make it that much more difficult.

...but that said, for people like us who post on here, it still won't be too tough.

...but that said, for people like us who post on here, it still won't be too tough.

Absolutely. Buy a fan club membership, and participate in the pre-sale, and there's no way you'll miss out on good tickets, arena or stadium. Usually as long as you do it quickly, you can still get good seats in the general sale.

I could really care less what venue they play in, because I will spend the money to get good seats close to the band. I'm done with GA, though. It's more worth it to me to spend the money to get an actual SEAT, and then I can show up whenever I want and sit on my butt until U2 takes the stage. And I can go to the bathroom if I need to, and will have a designated space that is MINE when I come back, and nobody else's. Call me an old fart (I'm 30...) but I was really disenchanted with the whole GA experience last tour.

That's not the problem. Bono's very fit, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to handle his injury so well and get back on stage so soon afterwards. The fact that he's having one or two pounds too much is a benefit for him. He's doing most of the physical work on stage. Unless he's having other problems, he should be fine for the tour. Let's just hope that all four of them will be in a good enough condition to play another tour.

Strong rumours in the UK that they will do a series of gigs at the O2 in London.
I personally quite like stadium shows but not bothered either way so long as we get an album this year.

lol. Then we'll have a repeat of grumpy Bono saying shit like "Turn off your fucking cellphones! This is a rock concert, alright?!!"

"I ate fucking KALE for breakfast! If I can manage to do that, you can manage to live without your cellphone!"

Back
Top Bottom