U2 on your radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Belgian Radio 1 (public network) I've heard - besides the usual suspects-

A day without me
Twilight
ASOH
Bad
Bullet
In God's Country
Helter Skelter
God Part II
UTEOTW
Zoo station
Paint it Black (!)
IALW
Miracle Drug
Fast Cars
Tower of song (with Leonard Cohen)(!!!)

Hmm. I guess I should listen to the radio more often. I had no idea they played these songs here :D I've only heard Vertigo a lot in Belgium, and WOWY also not long ago.

Not fair :)

I was daydreaming about I Will Follow coming on the radio again, but that's about it. I did hear Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) on an unrelated pop station that was not playing Christmas songs...hehehe.

I haven't listened to the radio too much recently, but usually when I turn it on, I hear U2 :)

On the 2 adult contemporary stations they play Pride, Still Haven't Found, With Or Without You, Beautiful Day and One regularly. Our classic rock station plays New Year's Day, I Will Follow, and Angel Of Harlem on ocassion as well. I also remember hearing Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and the live version of Bad from Wide Awake In America on one of the other stations, which left me in awe.

I forget exactly when it was, Spring 2007 would be my best guess. I heard a double shot of Some Days Are Better Than Others right into Do You Feel Loved!!

I was driving one of my roomate's "girlfriend's,"(more like a frequent hook up) from my school into Burlington, Vermont(about 2 miles) very early one morning, probably 2 or 3 AM. Not even the most popular alternative rock station in Vermont, some down dial station that I may have tuned to 3 times maximum in the 4 years I was up there!

Vermont stations were strange like that. The entire state has the population of Boston and a suburb put together but seemed to have 1 radio station for every 2 people! It was crazy. Most times, you heard the hits(including I Will Follow and Bad) and that was about it. On the rare occasion someone deviated from this, it was always WAY out there, like Some Days, DYFL and one time, Window In The Skies! And it was always very late at night/early morning.

I was shocked, and told the girl not to mind me when I blasted DYFL! Luckily, she liked Some Days and LOVED DYFL! Couldn't believe it was U2.

Of course, the next time I saw her, this girl, already a casual fan, needed all of my U2 albums to make copies of. Turned her into a die hard, actually ran into her at a U2 tribute show in Boston not too long back!

Running to stand still today. I love how there is just no way they don't play a U2 song everyday.

We have a strange little AM station here in Winnipeg - ethnic by day and music from midnight till 6 am - heard both Who is Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Stay (Faraway So Close) recently.

I forget exactly when it was, Spring 2007 would be my best guess. I heard a double shot of Some Days Are Better Than Others right into Do You Feel Loved!!

I was driving one of my roomate's "girlfriend's,"(more like a frequent hook up) from my school into Burlington, Vermont(about 2 miles) very early one morning, probably 2 or 3 AM. Not even the most popular alternative rock station in Vermont, some down dial station that I may have tuned to 3 times maximum in the 4 years I was up there!

Vermont stations were strange like that. The entire state has the population of Boston and a suburb put together but seemed to have 1 radio station for every 2 people! It was crazy. Most times, you heard the hits(including I Will Follow and Bad) and that was about it. On the rare occasion someone deviated from this, it was always WAY out there, like Some Days, DYFL and one time, Window In The Skies! And it was always very late at night/early morning.

I was shocked, and told the girl not to mind me when I blasted DYFL! Luckily, she liked Some Days and LOVED DYFL! Couldn't believe it was U2.

Of course, the next time I saw her, this girl, already a casual fan, needed all of my U2 albums to make copies of. Turned her into a die hard, actually ran into her at a U2 tribute show in Boston not too long back!

You, sir, win this THREAD!

:drool: DYFL.

HMTMKMKM today! And after the song they talked about u2 and I found out,that actually the band had planned to play in my country this summer! Our biggest promoter was in the studio,talking about,how the representative of the 360 was ACTUALLY HERE,CHECKING THE VENUE!Sadly they found the production a bit too big for Estonia,so they played the second Helsinki.Can you imagine,there was actually a chance to see them in my own country! They also said,that getting u2 to Estonia has been every promoters wet dream for last 20 years.(we had Madonna,M.Jackson,Metallica,Kylie is coming etc.) oh,well,lets hope.

I heard Hold Me...Kill Me the other day in Boston, 100.7 Classic Rock.

Carter Alan, the DJ that introduced U2 to Boston and America by playing a demo of "A Day Without Me" when no one else would, now has a lunch hour segment called "Carter's I-Pod."

He plays his own stuff, and he gave Hold Me...Kill Me a spin and followed it up with some talk about Spiderman and other U2 side projects. Carter is a great guy, and a genuine U2 fan.

You, sir, win this THREAD!

:drool: DYFL.

:lol:

And it's AMAZING how much better it sounds when you are not expecting to hear it in the least little bit.

Like I said, this girl I didn't even know that well was in the car and still, I think I screamed in shock and turned the dial up immediately upon hearing the 1st notes!

HMTMKMKM today! And after the song they talked about u2 and I found out,that actually the band had planned to play in my country this summer! Our biggest promoter was in the studio,talking about,how the representative of the 360 was ACTUALLY HERE,CHECKING THE VENUE!Sadly they found the production a bit too big for Estonia,so they played the second Helsinki.Can you imagine,there was actually a chance to see them in my own country! They also said,that getting u2 to Estonia has been every promoters wet dream for last 20 years.(we had Madonna,M.Jackson,Metallica,Kylie is coming etc.) oh,well,lets hope.

You could've got a crowd the size of Tartu's population. :wink:

^ :D
Got to love Vermont radio stations!!! We have lots of them in northern Vermont, and overall, I usually hear the hits. Two radio stations, The Point and Alice, usually will play the album tracks in my experience of listening to these stations...

Anyway, I usually listen to a Montreal rock station in the evenings. They usually play 2 or 3 U2 songs a night. Just heard "Sweet Fire of Love", a collaboration with Robbie Robertson...

^ :D
Got to love Vermont radio stations!!! We have lots of them in northern Vermont, and overall, I usually hear the hits. Two radio stations, The Point and Alice, usually will play the album tracks in my experience of listening to these stations...

Anyway, I usually listen to a Montreal rock station in the evenings. They usually play 2 or 3 U2 songs a night. Just heard "Sweet Fire of Love", a collaboration with Robbie Robertson...

Wow!

All this time I thought I was the only person with Northern Vermont ties posting here!:wave:

Whereabouts in Vermont? (not stocking, and you don't have to answer, lol!)

I went to Saint Michael's in Colchester from 2005-2009.

Chittenden County is really an awesome place to live. All of the amenities cities/suburbs offer but surrounded by lake and mountains and a short drive into real, rural back country Vermont.:up:

I love the entire state, gorgeous!

Though I still tolerate 20 and 30 degree Boston winters a lot better than I did Vermont winters! I just can't handle 10 below for a low and 5 or 10 and maybe a heat wave of 20 for a high.

I listened to the point a good amount, never heard much about Alice. What frequency do they broadcast from? There's a chance it could have been alice that played DYFL.

I think I know the Montreal station you are talking about! I used to love piping in stations from Montreal, especially at night, and you're right, they were always good for a couple U2 songs. And not always the hits.

Sweet Fire of Love??

As rare as it gets.

I thought I won the thread........

When I was driving to Mt. Snow - i don't know, five years ago now? - I heard Your Blue Room on the radio. forget which station in Vermont, but heard it. Also heard The First Time maybe a year or two ago when I was driving to Killington.

My radio station plays...
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where The Steets Have No Name
With Or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Desire
Mysterious Ways
One
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment...
Vertigo
That's the most U2 songs I've ever heard on one station.

Wow!

All this time I thought I was the only person with Northern Vermont ties posting here!:wave:

Whereabouts in Vermont? (not stocking, and you don't have to answer, lol!)

I went to Saint Michael's in Colchester from 2005-2009.

Chittenden County is really an awesome place to live. All of the amenities cities/suburbs offer but surrounded by lake and mountains and a short drive into real, rural back country Vermont.:up:

I love the entire state, gorgeous!

Though I still tolerate 20 and 30 degree Boston winters a lot better than I did Vermont winters! I just can't handle 10 below for a low and 5 or 10 and maybe a heat wave of 20 for a high.

I listened to the point a good amount, never heard much about Alice. What frequency do they broadcast from? There's a chance it could have been alice that played DYFL.

I think I know the Montreal station you are talking about! I used to love piping in stations from Montreal, especially at night, and you're right, they were always good for a couple U2 songs. And not always the hits.

Sweet Fire of Love??

As rare as it gets.

I thought I won the thread........

:wave: I live 90 minutes from the Burlington area.

Alice is dubbed MP103.3 FM. I listen to it a lot when I go to Burlington...
The Montreal music station I listen to is CHOM 97.7 FM. I can't wait to hear what they will play this upcoming summer when U2 comes to Montreal...:applaud:

When I was driving to Mt. Snow - i don't know, five years ago now? - I heard Your Blue Room on the radio. forget which station in Vermont, but heard it. Also heard The First Time maybe a year or two ago when I was driving to Killington.

You might have been listening to the Point. They have several frequencies thoughout the state. Where I live, I can reach them on two frequencies.

I Will Follow! They announced it before the commercial break. I don't usually listen to this radiostation, but i'm glad i had the patience to wait till IWF :)

:applaud:

Great l'il thread!
Fun & interesting to see what's being played all over The USA and all over parts of the whole world!

great stories 387 :)uhoh: excpet for the almost drivin off the road part)!

Kaite> Holy Guitars and Hot Vocals: Sweet Fire of Love! near :faint:

GG some impressive radio!

Explorer> even more impressive list !

I actaully did hear SFOL on the radio when Robbie's record was out b/c we had a free-form DJ at one coomercial station and occasionally more opened up play-lists at another.

On 101.9 WRXP in NYC they mix some classic/alt /local & new. It's a good station. They could open it up more but I'm otfen pleased, and sometimes happily stunned!

The more usual stuff:
NYD /One /Pride /WOWY /Desre /Beautiful Day /Streets /ISHFWILF /IALW /

on occasion:
ELevation /(latley) Bad /Gloria /ABOY /Vertigo

rarish>
ST /IWF /EBTTRT

fairly frequent until ? year or so ago > IGC* !

in fact the senior most DJ there at WXRP (prabasblty in age) and definatelty inexpereince is Matt Pinfield. If he sounds familliar > he was a MYV - VJ. And he was the voice that introduced U2 at Irving Pklaza when they did that radio satilite hook-up foir the live debut of ATYCLB.

* i don't know if this is connected or not, but one DJ who isn't a professional DJ but loves music so much and has such an awesome collection of all kinds of popular & alt music that he has his own special Sunday night Show *Richard Russo's "Anything, Anything from the song by yhe same name...
but I tuned in one night and caught him in the middle end of a rant about Bono and why he wasn't going play any U2 music anyomre! and he hasn't.

Ever since then IGC is the only U2 I've heard played there before that isn't played anymore, unless I missed it BUT I usued to hear <over a stretch of time> a few times. so i doubt it. Mystery!

ha! I know I'm forgetting a few!

When NLOTH came out they played a fair portion of it for several months which was lovely! They've only been on the air in this format for 2 1/2 or so years. So NLOTH is the only new U2 album they have had to promote.

And I just went to google the staion to see when they started up> 2008 and found out something amazing about the station.
Well, amazing :wink: to me; who loves talking about Rock Radio sinced I've lived it in NYC--
I was around the The Beatles breaking out in America in AM Pop music radio (which also then caried Soul/ R&B) when I was 10, and watched the rise of FM radio <my teens>, and the competion in the area (or ignoring it at first) the rise of the CGBG's bands & Punk/New Wave !

And I had no idea b/c the Frequency is ever so slightly different !
101.9 [WRXP 28 years earlier was 102 FM The PIX] ; so here's a bit of the story of a (different/later) fabulous time in NYC Rrock radio.From Wikipedia...since i was there i know this is basically factual.

"1978-1980: Punk/New Wave Rock—At a time when other rock stations in New York were sticking with traditional AOR formats (WPLJ, WNEW-FM), Adult Top 40 (WXLO) or oldies (WCBS-FM), WPIX staked out a groundbreaking format focused on new wave and punk but included older rock and roll as well, hence its advertising slogan: "From Elvis to Elvis." It helped break in New York and nationally early records by Elvis Costello, the Police, Nick Lowe, the Clash, the Cars, Squeeze, Devo, the Kings, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, the Buzzcocks, Cheap Trick, Talking Heads, David Johansen, Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, to name just a few. The station was even featured in lyrics from the Squeeze song, 'I Think I'm Go Go' (P I X and rock and roll).
March 1980-1981: Rock-based top 40--According to The New York Times, a station spokesperson said the station was "modifying the format to improve the product to make it more mass acceptable."[2]
( :madspit: )

"Notable air personalities during the WPIX-FM period included Mark Simone, Dennis Quinn, Jim Kerr, Alan Colmes, Meg Griffin, Les Marshak, Gus Gossert, Alfredo, Jane Hamburger, and Dan Neer." My 2 favs.

Over time some of the other stations mentioned started to play more alt music of the time because of "The PIX". :rockon:

By the dates U2 just missed being played on there.
Dan Neer is still on commercial rock in the area. Meg is considered one of the pioneering Women Rock DJ's...she's still on Satilite Radio.

I made a petition when we heard they were going to change PIX's formatt... which i placed at several relevant locations . It was the winter, I was recovering from a sprained ankle, had them out for about a week, and hobbled around to pick them up. Got about 800 signatures. :)

"The station gave up quickly on both the Disco and Punk/New Wave formats to see both genres of music become popular several years later. "
impatient idyots! :angry:

LUCKILY a few years later a Long Island station that you could hear in waaaay upper manhattan & the bronx came along WLIR/ WDRE> :applaud:
Headache In A Suitcase - might know them!

IWF (Live at Red Rocks version)
The Sweetest Thing

both on 3fm. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom