U2 Album/Tour Secrets Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Post tidbits, secrets, little known information, easter eggs, and other things in this thread. I always find it very interesting to hear secrets that not many people, even fans know about.

Examples of this I can think of off the top of my head:

-Bono and Edge wanting to drop Streets during the Vertigo tour, but Adam and Larry wouldn't hear of it! Thank goodness.
-During the recording of Ultraviolet (Light My Way), Larry dropped one of his drumsticks (I think it's around the 3:45 - 3:50 mark in the song) and the band liked it and left it in there. It's in the studio version of the song!

Any others you guys have? I love reading about stuff like this, it is so interesting to me! :wave:

Cool thread!
In the beginning of the studio version of the Unforgettable Fire, Larry clicks his drum sticks together too early. You can then hear him whisper "Shit! Sorry."

I once found a whole Angelfire site of stuff like this, I wonder if I could track it down again.

i live round the corner from the Royal Crescent Hotel in Bath where U2 stayed the night before Glastonbury. was at the festival so obviously didn't see them in the neighbourhood...but apparently the staff were a bit surprised to find Larry Mullen wandering downstairs at some crazy hour in the middle of the night, in an altered state of mind "gurning his face off" and asking to use the gym. :lol:

fortunately for Larry any fuck-ups at Glastonbury were down to either The Edge or Bono so at least he can still function after a good night :wink:

Don't know if this is fact or myth, but apparently Edge wrote all the basslines on Achtung Baby. This may have been a reason why Adam said at the time "I may not be the best bass player in U2, but I am the fucking bass player!" (priceless).
Btw I find it very hard to believe that Bono and Edge would want to drop Streets for an entire tour. U2 circa 1992-1997, certainly a possibility they'd entertain the notion. U2 circa 2001-2011, not a chance in hell.

That sounds like a myth to me. The only bassline Edge wrote alone for U2 is 40. Every other song is credited Adam Clayton.

Adam screws up the bassline of "Love Rescue Me" at around the 3:30 mark.

On PopMart, the band had decided to retire "Still Haven't Found" and "Pride." Paul McGuiness got them to reconsider, saying that it would be suicide not to play the two songs most identified with U2. (Also, "Miss Sarajevo" had a spot in the set, complete with a video of Pavarotti singing.)

Apparently Bono sings/whispers "Norman" in some spots of "Bad."

Adam screws up the bassline of "Love Rescue Me" at around the 3:30 mark.

On PopMart, the band had decided to retire "Still Haven't Found" and "Pride." Paul McGuiness got them to reconsider, saying that it would be suicide not to play the two songs most identified with U2. (Also, "Miss Sarajevo" had a spot in the set, complete with a video of Pavarotti singing.)

Apparently Bono sings/whispers "Norman" in some spots of "Bad."

I have a magazine w/ Miss Sarajevo in the Popmart setlist (says not in stone)

-I read somewhere Larry played bass on the the song studio version of "Zooropa".

-U2 rehearsed If God Will Send His Angels in Barcelona for the 360.

I have a magazine w/ Miss Sarajevo in the Popmart setlist (says not in stone)

-I read somewhere Larry played bass on the the song studio version of "Zooropa".

-U2 rehearsed If God Will Send His Angels in Barcelona for the 360.

Apparently Larry wrote and played the bass line on the intro, with the "babble". That's really cool if true.

I heard Bono once ordered a hamburger instead of his usual cheeseburger, but then called the waitress back and said "I changed my mind, make that a cheeseburger. A double cheeseburger. And I'll have a chocolate milkshake too."

Nice thread.

I think the Lemon bassline was played by Edge (U2 - at the End of the World ?). Anyway i love this song but there is a surprising f#ck up on the bass line. I think it's around the synthy instrumental bit. IMO Lemon is one of their best songs and I'm really surprised they left that mistake in but I also like it. I don't think you would have that kind of roughness in the last few albums.

I don't know anymore secrets about the band.

I suspect Adams loft is infested with griffins though....

:shifty:

I heard Bono once ordered a hamburger instead of his usual cheeseburger, but then called the waitress back and said "I changed my mind, make that a cheeseburger. A double cheeseburger. And I'll have a chocolate milkshake too."

WTF! I heard this too! Did Dave tell you this?

It was Dave wasn't it it?

F#cking Dave...

U2 once were watching a TV commercial for a concert or something of theirs that they had already approved and signed off on. Larry suggested changing a shot of himself. Adam made a similar suggestion. Bono said that if they were going to change those other shots, there was another shot of himself that he'd always disliked and asked the producers to change as well. The producers said he had previously stated how much he loved that shot. Apparently Bono's response was, "when I said that I loved it, what I meant was, I hated it."

Thank you, Bill Flanagan.

i live round the corner from the Royal Crescent Hotel in Bath where U2 stayed the night before Glastonbury. was at the festival so obviously didn't see them in the neighbourhood...but apparently the staff were a bit surprised to find Larry Mullen wandering downstairs at some crazy hour in the middle of the night, in an altered state of mind "gurning his face off" and asking to use the gym. :lol:

fortunately for Larry any fuck-ups at Glastonbury were down to either The Edge or Bono so at least he can still function after a good night :wink:

:lol: Thats fucking brilliant. I love Larry, although he has a dour public persona I bet he's quality on a night out. Although Larry fucked up the start of EBTTRT if I remember so maybe he was feeling a little fragile with the nerves and the previous night's indulgence.

Back
Top Bottom