Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Annie,

I hope that you don't take my post as any kind of judgement against you. It is not my intention at all. But, if you were my daughter. I would tell you "to enjoy your life." There is nothing wrong with living in a small town or village. Believe me, there are many times that I wish. I did.

I don't think you are a nutcase or have emotional problems. There is nothing dysfunctional with being a "sensitive person." It shows that you have feelings and care very deeply about others. Sweetie, you don't have to be perfect. There is no such thing. You are already the very best at being you.

There comes a time, though. When you don't have to quote or rely on what others have said. You have an intellegent mind and open heart. No doubt about it. Let that aways guide you.

Thank you A stor :hug:.

Others said it, but let me add, great post!!:up::up:

Especially the Republican/Democrat stuff.

Cactus Annie, I see where you are coming from, but its almost completely irrelevant to the liberal/conservative, Democrat/Republican spectrum in the United States. You are talking about authoritarian left wing Marxist types, who exist only on the very fringes of US politics. They are not the guy you see in the coffee shop that could just as likely be a registered Democrat as he is to be a registered Republican.

These left wing authoritarian Marxist types, I have only met/encountered a few of them, you are quite right about. They hate Bono because he is someone who has done a lot for the world's poor (in fact, more than these "true icons of social justice" would ever dream of) and been effective but also happens to be:

A.)Rich

B.)An outspoken defender of capitalism.

B gets to them a hell of a lot more than A, as you correctly pointed out Marx was rich.

Just a word of advise, Annie, and I'm not talking down to you or being condescending, be a bit more specific. I feel that a lot of mainstream US liberals who post here frequently feel like you are saying that they are the kind of people who have an ideological tendency to dislike Bono. And from my reading, you are not saying this at all-"not every dem is a left wing authoritarian"

You are right. This was exactly what I meant. I never meant that every democrat was anti-capitalist, so I don't know where people got the impression that this is what I meant. For years Sociologists have tried to figure out why a large minority of working class people vote for a right wing party and why a large minority of middle class people vote for left wing parties.

In Britain (which is a different society from the US lets not forget), we have an incredibly stifling class consciousness that dictate's that lower class people like myself should stay in our position and any ambition is not for the likes of us. Because our education system allows everyone now to take their GCSE's rather than closing the door just because you failed a test aged 11, the upper classes have to make up other ways to ensure that the likes of us know our place in life. There is quite a liberal media bias which is dominated by the BBC but I also see it on the other major TV networks, as well as various magazines. A few weeks ago, another anti-capitalist who comes from a posh background, Piers Morgan interviewed one of the world's wealthiest plebs Lord Alan Sugar. The left wing TV magazine called The Radio Times slammed into him because when Alan showed Piers around his house he hardly had any books :ohmy:. Piers then questioned him why he was wealthier than Paul McCartney :ohmy:.

I can see why someone like Alan Sugar and Bono would get up people's noses. Alan Sugar comes from the poor London borough and still speaks with a broad cockney accent. He also did poorly at school. Yet, he's one of the world's wealthiest people. Bono, meanwhile, went to a comprehensive school, he never even went to university yet he earns more than most of these middle class journalists who went to Grammer school and studied at Oxford!

So you read about it in books thus it's the truth?

They've been written in academic text books that have not only been researched, but they are also peer reviewed. Just because you dissagree with something, it doesn't mean it's false. Academia and science are the truth, opinions are akin to lying. No one on here knows for sure how Marilyn Monroe died, but one things for sure, either she was murdered by US authorities, she comited suicide or she had an accidental overdose. To say that all 3 opinions are equally true is bloody arrogant. Don't you believe in black and white in certain theories or is your mind so open minded that you can slide 5 lorries down sideways? What colour is the grass? Do you think it's pink but you are so open minded that you are willing to listen to someone who reckons the grass is orange? Or do you know 100% that the grass is green, planet earth is not the largest planet in the solar system and that soil is not really made up of marsh mallow fluff?

Get real. there's so many books out there that are complete bullshit.

Completely incorrect. You are talking about pop psychology books. Psychology text books are 100% fact. Experiments have been carried out by experts with PhD's in Psychology as well as years of experience. The results of their experiments are then peer reviewed and the experiment are then subsiquently repeated by other Psychologists. That's how we know for 100% certainty that the results yielded from the Milgram and Asch experiments are as truthful as the fact that sugar tastes sweet.

If you wrote an essay for your university course but neglected to use academic sources and just listed your opinions instead, then you'd fail. There is consistancy in facts whilst opinions are mostly inconsistant and can be stated with your own personal bias. Besides, who joins a forum just to hear everyone's opinions? When I ask a question I'm hoping that someone can inform me of the facts that they've or heard from an expert. I don't want to hear their biased inconsistent opinion.

I know 100% that grass is green, and I know it's because of the reflection of light at certain wavelengths and the absorption of light at other wavelengths. I'm a scientist so I value facts over opinions by a mile. So try me Annie, seriously try me.

you can't seriously believe that all those text books are 100% truth.

Well how comes in your posts earlier you told me that I had co-dependency issues, and kept trying to get me to state my opinion rather than facts that I've read in text books and observed in real life? Pleading ignorance doesn't work with curious intellectuals, their must be some other reason why they hold their opinions. They can maintain subtle nationalistic viewpoints, middle class snobs, jealous and they can hold certain collectivist opinions and therefore can't understand how others love types of music that they hate. Their opinions can be down to the fat that they dislike so even if a celebrity releases an album that they secretly like, they still make up excuses as to why it's rubbish. George Michael released an album once called Listen Without Predujice. Maybe people should do exactly that.

Also if you're a Scientist, then you know text books do only hold the truth.

Because you depend on facts you read. You take everything you read for a fact without even doubting it for a millisecond! That is what I am trying to warn you for. Humans are naturally doubtful and cautious, it's part of our nature!

Text books do hold the truth indeed. But it's up to the reader on how to interpret it.

Text books can vary on how much the author interprets information. For example, when it comes to IQ tests there are some authors who literally interpret these tests as 100% assessment of a person's intelligence and also claim that intelligence is mostly inherited and remains consistent throughout life. They are other Psychologists who question this utter faith in IQ tests and state that many university students can do much better at university then they did at school. Some people can be brilliant at some things but they aren't so hot at other subjects. My university lecturer said that if we completed IQ tests over several weeks then you will start to see discrepencies in the scoring. He also said that IQ tests should only be taken as a guide and used in conjunction with other types of testing methods. What we are doing now, is that we are teaching kids how to pass exams but that doesn't necessarilly mean humans getting smarter. It's called the Flynn effect.

And there you go off again quoting random books you read. Why are you doing this every time? This simply stating pieces of information rather than answering direct questions asked or remarks made towards YOU. I don't ask Psychologists these questions, I don't ask about others either. I talk to you here, so I want to know how YOU think about this.

Ofcourse it can coincide with real life. There's a certain real factor to the internet, but it's not the same as REAL life. SUre you can meet people online and become friends, but you'll never know how they 'really' are. Ofcourse plenty of people are exactly the same offline as online, but not everyone is. For me the internet is easier as I'm not that great with social skills, it's easier for me to type than to talk over the phone. I hate talking over the phone because you can't read people's body language. Quite strange how you can't do that over the internet either yet you get a good feeling of someone's mood when they post.
It's a weird phenomenon. But people shouldn't claim that it's the same as real life, as going out with people to have a drink and talk about life, there's no physical touch either. You can't use body language, nor can you hold someone's hand or touch their cheek over the internet. That sort of thing is exclusive to real life.

Yeah, there's definitely the lack of physicality (is that even a word?) that is a downfall. And sure there are some people you meet online that you will never know much about beyond who they appear to be online. Unless you meet them and spend time hanging out with them and talk to them regularly in other places than just posting on a forum. In that situation I think I certainly know and am close to them, but that is a situational thing.

I think what you said about it "coinciding" with real life is perfect. It's a mode of communication. It's too bad we can't always just go hang out with people because they live too far away.

I agree and have enjoyed, most certainly benefited from reading all other's post.

Everyone has the right to express themselves. Perhaps, you may or may not agree, but use it as a learning experience. I do. :hug:

Annie, are a college major in the Social Sciences? I think it would be an excellent career for you.

Yeah, there's definitely the lack of physicality (is that even a word?) that is a downfall. And sure there are some people you meet online that you will never know much about beyond who they appear to be online. Unless you meet them and spend time hanging out with them and talk to them regularly in other places than just posting on a forum. In that situation I think I certainly know and am close to them, but that is a situational thing.

I think what you said about it "coinciding" with real life is perfect. It's a mode of communication. It's too bad we can't always just go hang out with people because they live too far away.
Agreed on everything. :) I do think that online contact can lead to beautiful friendships, and I do consider some I've never met my friends. But I still know that it's not 100% the same and that my life online, even though it is a part of my life, is not the same as 'real' life.

Yeah they need to hurry up and invent a teleporter! :wink: We'd have so many Blue Crack parties all over the world!

I just don't understand. I mean, sure, I've made comments about people/things I don't like before, too, who doesn't? And you're certainly free to state you can't stand certain things.

But I don't get why people waste their time making a big production out of starting pages/groups/what have you to talk about it. Only reason I can see is to vent and get things off your chest, but to go to all that fuss just to do that just seems kind of...pointless.

Angela

Ah people make me laugh. You know, like Angela said, I don't mind if you hate something. I hate Twilight, I really do. But I would never waste my time making a website based on something that I hate. Instead, I'd rather be surrounded by people/things that I love because loving someone/something provides me with more pleasure than something that I hate. For example, I love IF and other U2 boards and the fans/friends I have met along the way. I love U2 and music and art and I'd much rather spend my time doing those things than bashing on someone/something, knowing that it won't make me feel any better. Plus, it's a waste of my time.

However, I found this FB pretty amusing. Their facts are totally wrong, which is what most U2 haters do anyways. They just look up something and take the first layer of what another hater said.

This one was my favorite:

He contributed to Live Earth, an environmental event, but flew a fucking hat around the world.

:lmao: I did kind of snicker at that one. I'm sure you all know why. :wink:

I think what really upsets me about this site is the use of the "C" word. I mean, c'mon, do you really have to use the "C" word so much? Wouldn't bastard or f***er work? I really hate the "C" word.

And the other thing--insulting the fans, calling us "C"'s and whining bastards.

But, I will gladly carry those labels if it means being a dedicated U2 fan. :D

What's that supposed to mean? :shifty:

:wink: Bono: A man all women want to be with and all men want to be.

Simple as that, they're jealous because he's rich and famous and got a beautiful wife and they're spotty kids spending far too much time with the internet and their left hand to ever be successfull with either life or women.

According to Thom Yorke (Radiohead), whenever they met world leaders together for Make Poverty History, whilst Thom Yorke was talking about reform, bonio just acted like a buffoon, and posed for photos (such as making the frail John Paul II wear his stupid Fly sunglasses, making the actual negotiations next to impossible).

I can't find any evidence of this, instead I find stuff like this

Thom Yorke said:
The difference between me and Bono is that he’s quite happy to go and flatter people to get what he wants and he’s very good at it, but I just can’t do it. I’d probably end up punching them in the face rather than shaking their hand, so it’s best that I stay out of their way. I can’t engage with that level of bullshit. Which is a shame, really, and in a way it would help if I could, but I just can’t. I admire the fact that Bono can, and can walk away from it smelling of roses.

These are some pretty kind words from Yorke, hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom