The Best of 2000-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Hi,

I don't think there will ever be a Best of 2000-2015 album, but still fun to create one.

Here we go... I tried to be 'realistic' (including hits I personally don't prefer). And I included 2 songs from ATYCLB, although 2 other songs from this album were already included on the Best of 1990-2000... but I think U2 would actually do the same ;-).

1. Invisible
2. Vertigo
3. Magnificent
4. Ordinary Love
5. The Miracle
6. Mercy (remix, new single of the album) or a remix of another '00-'15 song
7. City Of Blinding Lights
8. Song For Someone
9. Elevation
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. No Line On The Horizon
12. Window In The Skies
13. Every Breaking Wave
14. Boy Falls From The Sky (U2 version, remix)
15. Moment Of Surrender
16. Walk On

Keeping it to the format of 11 songs, which they seem to like.

1. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
2. Stateless
3. New York
4. Kite
5. Electrical Storm
6. Love and Peace or Else
7. Moment of Surrender
8. Fez-Being Born
9. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10.This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11.The Troubles

Keeping it to the format of 11 songs, which they seem to like.

1. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
2. Stateless
3. New York
4. Kite
5. Electrical Storm
6. Love and Peace or Else
7. Moment of Surrender
8. Fez-Being Born
9. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10.This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11.The Troubles

The Best of 1980-1990 had 15 songs (incl. October) and the Best of 1990-2000 had 17 songs (incl. The Fly)...

And another thing: as Electrical Storm was already on the Best of 1990-2000 they really won't put this song on the next Best of.

I don't care. If you want to get that technical, there was no best of album that covered a 15-year span. And there was another pointless best of collection that makes your point moot about repetition of songs.

The point is that I find it difficult to find more than 11 songs from this period I actually like. This would be a personal best of, not some kind of an attempt at a compilation.

Attempting to be realistic it could look like this:

1. The Miracle of Joey Ramone
2. Vertigo
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. Walk On
5. Elevation
6. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
7. City of Blinding Lights
8. Invisible
9. Ordinary Love
10. Magnificent
11. Get on your boots
12. Window in the skies
13. All Because of You
14. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
15. Moment of Surrender

I always thought they'd do a best of 2000-2020 after their next album or 2

I don't see anymore "best of(s)" coming from U2 anymore. That format is pretty much dying out. I think we might see a purge of the vault so to speak at the end of their career.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The band's Best of 1980 -- 1990 was not bad, although it was probably released simply to pay the electrical bill for PopMart.

The Best of 1990 -- 2000 was a sort-of a travesty, because not only did they not choose the best songs, they re-recorded songs or unnecessarily mixed songs that didn't need it, and then included two new songs that (duh!) aren't from 1990-2000.

As for me, my personal Best of 2000 to 2016 would forgo the ATYCLB songs, since it's been covered, and might be like this:

Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Yahweh (?)
The Saints are Coming (w/Green Day)
Magnificent
Cedars of Lebanon (?)
The Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
Raised by Wolves (?)

Yeah, there just aren't enough essential tracks to draw from over the last three albums... I could see doing this maybe after one more studio album (assuming it's good).

(P.S. Before anyone asks: Yes, I think "The Saints are Coming" is great. No, I don't like "Moment of Surrender".)

Since Saints, Electrical Storm, Hands, and Windows have already appeared on compilations isn't it redundant to put them on another compilation ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The 1st best-of was cool and worked really well. But the 2nd best-of was an absolute disaster, for the following reasons:

1 - Including 2 ATYCLB songs, when they are not part of the 90's. I know it was released in 2000, but c'mon, it should focus purely on the 90's. And if Beautiful Day and Stuck, why not Elevation and Walk On too? An absolute joke and this is the main reason why a third best-of wouldn't seem right.

2 - Horrible unnecessary versions of Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, and Numb (Of which the first 2 are definitely worse than the original versions).

3 - Some of the song choices - WGRYWH should have been on, because the temple bar remix is the best version of the song, and is not on any other U2 album/compilation. Also, same for the song Please, of which the single version is far superior to the album version. The First Time shouldn't have been included - it's not a bad song by all means, but it wasn't a single or anything like that, and it just doesn't fit. The Fly should have been a full-on track rather than a bonus track.

4 - This is my petty OCD talking, but it would have been ideal to have the same # of tracks as the first best-of.

5 - The b-sides cd is a joke. It should be just b-sides, as in, songs. Not remixes. They're seperate IMO.

They're the 5 main changes I would have made. There may be more changes too, but I could live with those. Just like on the first best-of.

And I don't mind Electrical Storm and Hands being on there... because they need a new single to promote the compilation.

Back
Top Bottom