Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's okay, but the actor's voice doesn't work with this song...just like Boy falls from the sky sounds better with Bono.

vision beyond visibility of course already gaining attention.

Sitting next to Bono, passing the microphone back and forth in the studio. Feeling like an apprentice to a humble king. So cool...
27 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Retweeted by 4 people

* Retweet

reevecarney
Reeve Carney

Agreed, he sounds a lot stronger now than he did earlier on in this process, but I can see why people would say he doesn't have the voice for a huge Broadway show, it's probably why his understudy is getting better reviews for his vocals.

So since Reeve posted on Twitter that he's in a studio with Bono sounds like maybe they are recording... maybe Bono's just giving some singing tips... or?

It's okay, but the actor's voice doesn't work with this song...just like Boy falls from the sky sounds better with Bono.

I agree that I would love versions of these songs with Bono's voice but I also have to say that the night I saw the show, Carney's voice was in top shape.

There's that section of BFFTS where Bono (when he sings it) goes for the higher notes with force and Carney goes for the falsetto.

The night we saw him, Carney went for it and hit every note with power. It was pretty awesome.

my few friends who have seen it complained most about the music -- and these are people who like U2 -- and used adjectives like "horrible" "awful" and "shit-can God-awful."

while "Rise Above" was nice, it's no broadway classic.

i remain concerned. very concerned.

mama cass nailed Rise Above. "monotonous"
No crescendo - near static harmonies - and you've heard the whole song (melodies/sections) after the first chorus.

I bet Bono and Edge wrote that song in a half hour and have barely touched it since. Ok, not really...but it almost seems that way.

mama cass nailed Rise Above. "monotonous"
No crescendo - near static harmonies - and you've heard the whole song (melodies/sections) after the first chorus.

I bet Bono and Edge wrote that song in a half hour and have barely touched it since. Ok, not really...but it almost seems that way.

To be fair, you could be describing Magnificent as well. So I think it has less to do with lack of work as much as U2 writing more songs that peak in the first minute.

i really like the video footage in the background - the scenery looks breathtaking and there are some really beautiful images there

the song is sub-standard though really... the lyrics, typical B-man generalisations, not specific enough for a character, there is no story there, or maybe just a few sketchy hints at one! Reeves' singing isn't great either... the female vocalists are a bit better though, especially Jennifer Damiano

not sure if the music and actors are big enough to compete with the spectacular scenery though... maybe they should just turn Foxwoods into an art installation LOL

oh god, actually after another listen, it's monotonous as hell... sorry...

and when i see the shot of spiderman landing there at the end, all i can think is how many hands and feet were broken to bring you that image...

I apologize, but I do not agree with anything you wrote.

I actually liked Reeves' vocals there - it fit the theme of the song. It's much like when Bono sang "One", BD or "In A Little While" with a more scratchy voice. The songs required that style to give them emotional energy. I feel Reeves' vocals suited the song for the same reason.

In contrast, I felt the women were a bit out of place, especially the person that may be the "villian". She oversang the song, much like Blige did with "One".

I did not find the song monotonous. It was beautifully performed and a strong ballad.

Admittedly, it is possible that U2's version of the same song would have a more rock feel to it and Bono's vocals would have created even more emotion. But realize that one reason we are such a fan of U2 is because of their ability to take something simple and turn it into something heart-wrenchingly powerful. And Bono is one of rock's best singers - it's not easy to compare anyone to that.

As for the background video - I loved seeing the theatrics. There were broken bones for the stunts. It is unfortunate and I hope those injured fully recover and are well compensated for their efforts. But to create something unique, dynamic, powerful and, hopefully, successful, there often is a price.

Based on all that I've seen and heard, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the performance. It really looks like it's coming together well with the changes.

I apologize, but I do not agree with anything you wrote.

no need to apologise! it would be boring if everyone agreed all the time!

I actually liked Reeves' vocals there - it fit the theme of the song. It's much like when Bono sang "One", BD or "In A Little While" with a more scratchy voice. The songs required that style to give them emotional energy. I feel Reeves' vocals suited the song for the same reason.

In contrast, I felt the women were a bit out of place, especially the person that may be the "villian". She oversang the song, much like Blige did with "One".

I did not find the song monotonous. It was beautifully performed and a strong ballad.

Admittedly, it is possible that U2's version of the same song would have a more rock feel to it and Bono's vocals would have created even more emotion. But realize that one reason we are such a fan of U2 is because of their ability to take something simple and turn it into something heart-wrenchingly powerful. And Bono is one of rock's best singers - it's not easy to compare anyone to that.

i was thinking more from the Broadway perspective, like the strength and charisma and presence you need to communicate effectively on a theatre stage... as a studio song, sure, it's quietly passable if not a bit iffy (oh hell, i really think the song is weak though), but i just don't feel the song/performance are strong enough for an immense theatre setting... if that's how Reeve is performing the song on stage well, then, my mind just boggles!

As for the background video - I loved seeing the theatrics. There were broken bones for the stunts. It is unfortunate and I hope those injured fully recover and are well compensated for their efforts. But to create something unique, dynamic, powerful and, hopefully, successful, there often is a price.

can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs eh?

i don't know, it still gives me a bad feeling thinking of all the injuries... maybe it's because of all the publicity they attracted compared to other shows, i don't know...

while "Rise Above" was nice, it's no broadway classic.

i remain concerned. very concerned.

:up:

i know they say they're not aiming for Broadway classics, but still, the tunes have to work and communicate and come to life on a Broadway stage...

:up:

i know they say they're not aiming for Broadway classics, but still, the tunes have to work and communicate and come to life on a Broadway stage...

specificity is not bono's strong point. neither is plotting. while parts of "white as snow" are beautiful, there's not much of a narrative there.

and that's not a bad thing when you're in a band that aims (and achieves) transcendence and universality like U2 does. but not on broadway.

again. concerned.

yep, that's exactly it... that's what worries me too... the songs really need to carry the story... otherwise they're just window-dressing...

In retrospect, hiring a band (or it's frontman and guitar man) famous for 'universal' songwriting for a Broadway play requiring specific, story-driving numbers is pretty fucking hilarious.

What a disaster :drool::drool:

i thought B and Edge practically hired themselves (and then everyone else)?!?!

the disaster is truly theirs :D <-- (eta: i am just taking the piss, before any of the defenders cries, btw... sick sense of humour and all that)

Seriously guys could you listen to the whole score before making assumptions? There are a lot of songs that carry the story: Picture This, BBN, DIYW, PTT, Think Again... And there are songs like No More, ITWSE or Rise Above that are more introspective ones giving a better idea of what the characters think and feel. The score is very varied which is one of its biggest qualities. There are also songs with a more opera vibe like TOTD or B&W, rock tunes of course, even if surprisingly not a lot, like BFFTS, BOTW or Deeply Furious or Pop songs like Walk Away and Spiderman Rising. Personally I haven't waited for this performance to make my own opinion about Rise Above which I think is a fantastic song that gets better with every listens, but not a song that can be compare to anything Bono and The Edge have written before. There have definitely been some important improvements in the arrangement though and it seems the song is performed at the end of the show which can only be a good move. Of course this still doesn't sound like a pompous old-fashioned broadway song, thank god I would say. But I certainly won't expect a consensus on this board about a specific song of course.

Whatever that was great to read about music for once in this topic but I guess this won't last unfortunately:

Exclusive: SPIDER-MAN's Future to Be Revealed by Middle of Next Week 2011/03/04

This doesn't really sound good :sad:.

I'm sure people that think they have the power to see the future of an artistic project without having any artistic competence or experience at all will think that was written since the beginning. Ignorance (and stupidity) is bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom