Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any musical defining moments for this show or any really amazing ensemble pieces? A "seasons of love" or "no day but today", "defying gravity", "one day more", or "on my own", ......any music moment that you held your breath for?

Boy Falls From The Sky sung by Bono...YES, but Reeve, not quite so much. I think he did a great job, but how can anyone compete with Bono? Especially to a huge 25 year U2 fan? Rise Above has potential however, the technical issues during the song prevented the audience from getting the full impact.

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't heard of Next to Normal or Spring Awakening, but will definitely check them out - clearly you're familiar with Broadway, so I greatly value your opinion :D

If you are musical shopping, put in the heights on your list. It won a bunch of Tonys a couple of years back.:D

american idiot was nominated for three tony's, including musical of the year. won for best lighting and best scenery. it's been very successful.

YouTube - AI Cast and Green Day on Tony Awards

And Green Day fans DID get the chance to see Billie Joe perform the songs when he actually joined the cast and played the lead role for one week. I don't think us U2 fans will get the same opportunity. :wink: Though I wouldn't mind seeing Bono in the Spidey-suit for even just one show. :shifty:

You really can't compare American Idiot to Spider-Man. I would LOVE an original musical based on/around U2 songs! FWIW, there were MANY complaints by theater fans about the lack of a book for AI.

Once they work out the glitches, Reeve will have an opportunity to shine and I think he'll get some great notices. I've seen him and his band perform many times over the last eight or so years in small clubs, and larger venues as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's a charismatic, raw and passionate performer. Maybe Bono/Edge's songs don't suit him perfectly, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will shine on that stage.

Once they work out the glitches, Reeve will have an opportunity to shine and I think he'll get some great notices. I've seen him and his band perform many times over the last eight or so years in small clubs, and larger venues as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's a charismatic, raw and passionate performer. Maybe Bono/Edge's songs don't suit him perfectly, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will shine on that stage.

While I'm not familiar with Reeve aside from last night's performance and a few youtube videos courtesy of my 18 year old daughter Sarah (who is now drooling over him and his undeniable sexiness:ohmy:), I agree with you. I'm seriously hoping this will happen once the cast is more comfortable with the material, and the score (at least a good part of it) will shine.

:up:
I would like to go up to NYC to see this play and to see your friend perform the lead.

I also want to see American Idiot oh and I have zero interest in seeing Bono in a Spiderman unitard!

While I'm not familiar with Reeve aside from last night's performance and a few youtube videos courtesy of my 18 year old daughter Sarah (who is now drooling over him and his undeniable sexiness:ohmy:), I agree with you. I'm seriously hoping this will happen once the cast is more comfortable with the material, and the score (at least a good part of it) will shine.

Are you allowed to bring in a camera to the performance?

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't heard of Next to Normal or Spring Awakening, but will definitely check them out - clearly you're familiar with Broadway, so I greatly value your opinion :D

The two mentioned plays are actually my favorite two Broadway plays. Spring Awakening closed about a year ago, and Next to Normal, which is my favorite, is closing in early January so you should definitely get tickets soon, Catman. I highly recommend this show.

feels like opening night of most u2 concerts. a little bumpy and then get's better. only problem with broadway is do they give you time to get better?

Closing in January? How does Broadway usually work - I mean, can the powers-that-be feasibly reopen a show later in the year? I'm afraid I am entirely uninformed in this matter... how often do shows reopen after closing?

The main reason I ask is because I live in the black-hole of civilization (a.k.a. Baton Rouge, LA) and might not have the means to make it to NY in the coming months :sigh:

It's kind of annoying reading so many comments by people wanting to see the musical fail :no: Like Taymor (I think it was her) said, many people's salaries are based on whether or not this show is a success... so wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if the show, you know, succeeded? And how often on Broadway, in a recession no less, are gambles of this magnitude taken? I guarantee there will be a lot more exciting musicals hitting the theater if people flocked to see Spider-Man.
Alternatively, the show clearly needs time to work out the kinks, but if there are irreversible problems that need be rectified prior to opening night (story, music), then obviously I wouldn't expect people to shell out their hard-earned cash on an unsatisfying experience. The show may end up being a complete disaster that doesn't deserve an audience, but I don't understand the logic in hoping for that outcome :shrug:

But what gets me is that one of the reasons people want to see the show fail is because of Bono's involvement :huh: How and when did this individual become the focal point of universal derision? Judging from all this hate, I'm seriously surprised the guy hasn't been shot yet :| I know that's an awful thing to say, but... srsly. People need to chill the :censored: out when it comes to Bono. I honestly can't think of any celebrity that gets me worked up as some do regarding Bono (sure, I may have a low opinion of Paris Hilton, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, etc., but my feelings will never amount to anything more than a "dislike" option on facebook).

bleh, tangent, I know, blah blah blah... :drunk:

i hope the show is a success and they overcome the major glitches, but some of my worries (in addition to the apparently confusing script and inconsistencies in characters etc.) are in the little details like Taymor's nods to U2 in the script which in my opinion just seem really really incredibly naff not to mention self-indulgent... maybe it's her sense of humour and maybe she's just really excited to be working with Bono and The Edge and this is her way of expressing it, but i think it reflects badly on U2 and their songs - i can feel the eye-rolls from the non-U2-fans in the audience already lol :wink:

The "Today Show" is doing a story on the show (most likely the problems) this am is interested.

It's kind of annoying reading so many comments by people wanting to see the musical fail :no: Like Taymor (I think it was her) said, many people's salaries are based on whether or not this show is a success... so wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if the show, you know, succeeded? And hoow often on Broadway, in a recession no less, are gambles of this magnitude taken? I guarantee there will be a lot more exciting musicals hitting the theater if people flocked to see Spider-Man.
Alternatively, the show clearly needs time to work out the kinks, but if there are irreversible problems that need be rectified prior to opening night (story, music), then obviously I wouldn't expect people to shell out their hard-earned cash on an unsatisfying experience.

..... People need to chill the :censored: out when it comes to Bono. I honestly can't think of any celebrity that gets me worked up as some do regarding Bono (sure, I may have a low opinion of Paris Hilton, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, etc., but my feelings will never amount to anything more than a "dislike" option on facebook).

I see what you are saying here. I think many of the concerns voiced by the theatre community ( and my self) have less to do with Bono and more to do with the concern with seeing mediocrity on Broadway. Sacrificing story and music for technical wonder. People will flock to see it, and think all Broadway has bad story and music. Broadway is a brand and people expect the best music and story....bottom line.

I love Bono and Edge ( maybe too much), but it wonder if this was just a side project and not something they were truely passionate about. I am all for trying new things, but I fear this is not their best effort. I hope this is not the case.

Generally, people just want this show to reach its maximum potential.....and be excellent in all areas....

To the person that asked about taking a 6 year old in the previous thread, I think it depends on the child. My son at 6 would have loved it, however, Sarah at 6 probably would have been scared!

Thanks Circa- my son loves Spiderman, and im sure he will love it- I wouldnt have bought the tickets if i didnt think he would last through the show, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt ridiculously loud- im going to bring ear plugs for him anyway

Maybe Bono/Edge's songs don't suit him perfectly, but there is no doubt in my mind that he will shine on that stage.

not for nothing, buuuuuuut considering as bono and edge, ya know, wrote the songs, wouldn't it have been ideal to make sure that the person singing the songs, well, fit the songs that were being written?

Huge ad push locally for the show - the preview opening was on all the local news channels, saw commercials last night and this morning the Metro freebie newspaper has a Spiderman wrap around.

I love Bono and Edge ( maybe too much), but it wonder if this was just a side project and not something they were truely passionate about. I am all for trying new things, but I fear this is not their best effort. I hope this is not the case.

What makes you think or fear that it was something they weren't passionate about? Were you not impressed from what you've heard so far?

Anyone know how the previews work? When it opens it runs daily, right? Are previews the same? Was there a preview last night? Monday night? Is there one tonight?

Anyone know how the previews work? When it opens it runs daily, right? Are previews the same? Was there a preview last night? Monday night? Is there one tonight?

Previews generally work on the same schedule as a regular run. Show was dark last night (as most other shows are dark on Mondays). However, they seem to have canceled the first three and a half weeks of matinees, so they are running on a slightly reduced schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom