[RS] 13 Tours We'd Like To See In 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw Bryan Adams on his Bare Bones Tour. He walked onstage with an acoustic guitar (and a sometimes piano accompanist) and casual back and forth chat with the crowd all evening between songs and it was AWESOME.

:hmm: Would be neat if U2 could ever do something like that, but yeah probably not. :wink:

bonocomet said:
I just saw Bryan Adams on his Bare Bones Tour. He walked onstage with an acoustic guitar (and a sometimes piano accompanist) and casual back and forth chat with the crowd all evening between songs and it was AWESOME.

:hmm: Would be neat if U2 could ever do something like that, but yeah probably not. :wink:

Not if Larry has anything to say about it! LOL!

Anything, as long as it's something that'll prompt them to include stuff like Promenade, Do You Feel Loved, In God's Country, Mofo, A Day Without Me, God Part II, Zooropa and Bad all in the same setlist is fine by me.

When they can't play half their own songs, especially not remember the lyrics... I think that chance is smaller than me winning the lottery next month without buying a ticket. :wink:

All I really care about is them making a great album. Not just making an excuse to tour. Music that can stand on its own, without any kind of need for flashy visuals or presentation gimmicks. And whatever they do...MAKE THE PLACE RED FOR STREETS!
I'm not even really interested in an album at this point. I'm all up for them becoming a nostalgia band, touring round the world in arenas, doing four or five shows a city, changing the setlist every night. :up:
Surely setlist rotation is something they can now consider. Something they have NEVER really done. They did it a little on the Lovetown tour. But even back to the early 80's its never been their thing. So as far as challenging themselves goes, why not give it a try? It might link in nicely with downsizing (can't play stadiums forever) and finding a new theme.
I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy big, interesting production.
cobl & ss:
I'm not ready for them to be a nostalga band yet.
I happen to think NLOTH IS a masterpiece of a recording....so why not that they could have more in them for another great album, or 2!

AC :hmm: Now if only someone could put it to them just so in the right words that trying to do a genuine rotating songs list for at least one third to half the set Tour (not all together).... is a challange they should reach for..... :hyper:
We must FIND that person! :D

digi as someone who saw some bands during daylight shows (early outdoor ?7P in the summer when i was an early teen), but not so much later saw shows at the Filmore East with The Joshua Light Show plus being an artist: good colored lighting has always been a given for me as much as possible! I think it can enhance a performance and the song(s).

The Claw? :hyper::love::bow:
I'll never forget this tour! esp that i finally got to see them sometimes close up (outer rail) after 26 years of seeing them live but never close up (bad tix luck even trying for GA's 01, 05) and take photos as i have for every other great band i've loved...
The Claw & Screen created such an atmosphere for live performance

AND I don't think they can top 360, certainly not in scale- and that's fine. Maybe WW will come up with some other amazing lighting scheme.

?Elevation Tour mostly used white lights , tho...yes? But WW had them dewsigned and they appeared in a variety of ways for most of the songs. I liked the innovatio within the challange of a "limited palate"!

I'll be happy when they tour again- hopefully with a new album. Arenas, yeah, maybe if they're willing to put in at least some more extra dates in the hub (thinking people converging from most/all directions into a certain geographical aarea) cities: Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, St Louis, ?St Paul, Denver, Seattle, SF, LA, Phoenix, Austin, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami.

We'll find out sooner or later! hopefully sooner yet if they need more time to create their best effort at this then.... i'll practice patience! :D

How about they adopt the Elvis Costello model:
Have a giant wheel on stage with all of the potential song names written on it, spin it, and play what comes up.

Likelihood: minimal.

The wheel would be:

-In A Little While *
-Miracle Drug*
-Gone
-Mofo
-Lemon
-Dirty Day
-Super POP Trifecta, pick 3 songs from POP
-Super Zooropa, Album played in its entirely
-A Sort Of A Homecoming
-Wild Honey *
-Suck In A Moment*

The * are magnets that assist in matching up with the 'metal' pointer

So who thinks we stand a good chance at getting a Gangnam Style snippet in Mysterious Ways next tour? I can't think of a better song for it.

"Heyyyyyyyy sexy lady...."

Or maybe we'll get twenty-hour shows in which they run through their entire catalog nonstop, in chronological order, with Adam in a gorilla suit.

My "prediction"/"guess":

U2 will most likely follow the Vertigo tour model in 2014-15. N. American arena tour in the spring, European summer stadium tour, N. American arena tour in the Fall. Stadiums in the rest of the world beyond that. IF the new album has a "hit" or "hits" they will consider a Summer stadium tour of N. America in 2015, but will most likely decide not to, just like Vertigo (excuse will be to work on a new album that will never be released! ;) ).

The production will be scaled back, but will be similiar in size and scope to the Elevation/Vertigo stage with some tweaks. I hope they do not decide to do the "in the round" stage in the center thing, they have toyed with the idea previously, doubt it will happen though. I just do not think this would work for U2, "might" be interesting but they will stick to what they know. I think they will have some type of round screen at the top of the rig, similiar to what they used for 360 that may do something "different" at times. The stadium stage will be the arena stage expanded, like Vertigo. The screen will sort of be more of a half ellipse/band that scrolls accross the top of the PA stacks and bows out "over" the stage section (if that makes sense).

Setlist wise, there will not be massive variation, no more than there was on Vertigo (which wasn't too bad by U2 standards). I few suprises, my guess would be a few deeper Acthung cuts like "Love Is Blindness" and maybe "Trying To Throw Your arms..". I could also see "Gone" making a comeback. Bullet will most likely be back as well. My dream would be for God Part II, could happen.

BlueRoomstradamas :wink: Book it! :lol:

They should do a worldwide arena tour finally.

I wish I knew why U2, in their latter years of performance, has such trouble creating jaw-dropping set lists. Now, duh, they have a most impressive body of work, a songbook, that any band would kill for. It really comes across as a forest-for-the-trees situation. I can sit out here, a U2 goober, and make better song choices. In the doc "From the Sky Down" they described one of the main stresses of the JT tour was that they didn't feel they had enough songs to play. I was surprised to hear that, because even then they certainly had enough material. Now, decades later, they have an arsenal of incredible songs and I'm still getting that "human jukebox" vibe, the very problem Mullen complained about back in the JT days! C'mon guys, dig deep and blast us with a fresh set. Don't worry about pleasing the casuals so much with the big numbers. Your deep cuts are just as good.

Basic Example: I recall seeing the JT tour in Tampa in '87 and they broke out Spanish Eyes. It was spectacular. Where did that fucking song go?

I'd hazzard a guess and say that the comment about not having enough songs to play on the JT tour came about _after_ having done their usual thing and dissed large parts of their back-catalogue as being unplayable at that point in time.

They had 5 studio albums at their disposal, so even with Springsteen length shows, and a JT era show would be lucky to be 1/2 as long, they had enough material.

So many songs simply get 'lost' from one tour to the next and then ultimately lost into eternity. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock for example was a major highlight up to and including the UF tour. It dissappeared completely on the JT tour and has made just a few appearances since. It is a GREAT song!

Back
Top Bottom