Pep Talk requested... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Pep Talk requested...

So, I had previously decided to not attend any shows on this years' tour. The nearest city to me is Chicago. According to google, the United Center is 5h 6m from my house. I saw them twice in 2015, twice in 2017. I just didn't think I cared enough to organize a whole trip to Chicago. May is a very busy time for me, work wise. Going to a concert in Chicago would require me to take 2 days off of work, basically. It would require me having to buy 4 tickets together, so I could take my friends. It would require a hotel room. It would require going out to dinner and drinking a bunch with my buddies. It would require my wife getting pissed off at me for spending too much money, and too much time away from the family. I know it's only Chicago, but as far as she's concerned, I might as well go to Europe for a month. It just sounded like a big "to-do", and didn't seem worth it.

Then that thread started about Larry "retiring". I agree that there's not much truth to it, but it got me thinking. This could be it. I don't really think this will be U2's final tour. However, as Tom Petty (my 2nd favorite artist behind U2) taught me last year, each time could be the last time. I'm very glad I was able to see Tom Petty last summer before he died. I really would like to see U2 on this tour if I can.

The 2nd Chicago show is what I'm eyeing. There seem to be plenty of good single tickets available (and plenty of tickets in general, but that's for another thread). My plan is to buy a single ticket. Just me, by myself. I don't really feel like being on anybody else's schedule. My plan is to work a half day on the 23rd, leave after lunch. Then drive the 5.5 hours to Chicago, grab some fast food on the way, and listen to some tunes. See my favorite band play. Then drive back home. I estimate I'd be home by 6am. Maybe catch a few winks of sleep, and then work the entire day of the 24th. Come home after work, and collapse into bed. My wife won't be able to give me too much shit because other than the ticket, my only expenses would be roughly $50 in gas, and some fast food/junk food during the drives. Also, I'll only be missing one evening away from her and the kids. My boss won't be able to give me too much shit because I will only be taking off half a day. It's ridiculous, but between my wife and my job, I don't really get much free time in my life. Again, a topic for another thread, on a different forum perhaps.

If it were truly up to me I'd take off the 22nd-24th, go to Chicago and see both shows. Get a hotel, etc. But that's not really my reality. Should I do it? I am an able bodied 36 year old man. I'm fairly low maintenance, and can function on little sleep.

The_acrobat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 04:11 PM
I would definitely do it! I've done similar for U2 shows plenty of times. I work overnights, so I'd say the most similar trip to your possible trip to Chicago I had was in 2015. I live just south of Boston. Had tickets to the Madison square garden I&E show that featured Jimmy Fallon and the Roots on the E stage. I worked 11pm- 7am. Took a little nap, woke up around 11:30 and was on the road by noon time. Did just as you're planning- stopped for some fast food crap and to go the bathroom and that's about it. It's 211 miles to NYC for me- probably a little closer than Chicago is for you, but Boston to NYC is always the same deal driving. You can get into the NYC city limits in 3 hours or just under if you're really moving, but it can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours to reach your actual destination there.

I found a spot far enough out in Queens where I could feed the meter for a few hours before it went off for the day. Then I got on the train to Manhattan. Walked up to times square, got another snack and went to the show. Afterwards, I did the same thing in reverse and drove back to Boston. Rolled in around 3:30 am. Of course, I was exhausted, but much like you, I'm a young person who can function on little sleep and has to a lot of the time. I'm also very used to driving long distances and navigating in pretty much any area. It appears you are the same way, so I'd strongly recommend pulling the trigger.

On the less extreme end, but still time crunched, I did JT Pittsburgh and Giants stadium 2 with my brother who is a private pilot. For Pittsburgh, we rented a small plane, flew to Pittsburgh, saw the show, stayed a night out in the suburbs, came back to the city for a little sightseeing, then flew back. For New Jersey, I spent the whole day at work then met up with my brother. We scrambled to get the plane ready and had no conversation as we were focused 100% on the preparation. A unanticipated few short cuts from air traffic control saved us from walking in during "whole of the moon." We wound up having plenty of time. After the show, we ubered right back to the plane.

I've done it the other way, too. I saw JT at the Rose bowl during a 4 day vacation in CA. Did the same with JT in San Diego- only this time, I brought my mom along. Saw 360 2011 in Philadelphia on a trip with my girlfriend at the time and that was a week after I spent a couple nights with family doing the Montreal shows.

As we all know, being a super fan means seeing shows even when it takes a lot of work and isn't part of a nice, leisurely trip. I generally have no issue doing this with U2, but would do so even more now. Not due to the not very credible Larry rumor, but due to the related, simple fact that, because of their age, there are far more shows behind U2 than ahead of them. You don't want to casually pass up what might be your last chance to see them live. You mentioned Tom Petty. I'll mention AC/DC. My pilot brother, before he had the financial means to rent a plane, was driving and flying commercial all over the country to see AC/DC in 2015. I thought he was crazy- especially when he borrowed my car to go to Montreal. Haha! Looking back, he's glad he went to every show he could.

U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:11 AM
The only gig you regret is the gig you don't attend.

And going to gigs solo is better than going with company.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It'd be nice to only have to travel five hours to see a show.
kabigon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

You should just wait for the Columbus show that Sting assures you is coming, adjusted for inflation of course.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

If you can do it without having a negative impact on work and the wife, absolutely do it.

I was recovering from the flu in 2009, and had Springsteen tickets for the last shows at Giants Stadium. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it, but I pulled through and went. They ended up playing Born To Run in full, which was special... especially considering that this ended up being the last tour before Clarence died.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Get a divorce, then go to the show.

Just kidding. I think.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
The Fly

Happy wife, happy life
allaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
It'd be nice to only have to travel five hours to see a show.
Thank you! You just made up my mind. I imagine the fans in Australia and Japan, wondering WTF is going on. Or other countries where U2 never plays. Then here's me, a midwestern farm boy who is complaining about having to drive 5 hours. I'M GOING!!! My wife can just deal with it. If I don't go, she'll just end up getting pissed off at me about something else anyway. Fuck it!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
Babyface

I am in Australia and when they played Dublin Ireland I had to go and if any of you were there you know it was nothing short of Senfuckensational and worth the A$8,000 I will be paying off over the next few years ☀️U2 have not been to Australia since 2010 360^ tour☀️
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:11 PM
do it

i have zero spare time and always manage to fit these things in even if it means not sleeping for a bit or having to work all night to fit everything in in one big whirlwind - never regretted it (apart from Nice back on the Vertigo tour where i'd counted on sitting in an airport cafe all night after the gig to get the first morning flight back to Paris, only when i ran back to the airport after the gig, there was no cafe, and security were locking up the terminal and i had to beg them to let me in so i could at least spend the night on a bench inside the airport - oh man that was bad )
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Pep Talk requested...

Does anybody ever feel embarrassed about their level of fandom? Like, in order for me to go to Chicago by myself just for a concert, that would expose to a lot more of people just how rabid my fandom is. Some might think it's unhealthy. My wife can't understand why I would go see the same band so many times. I feel like if I were to go, I would tell nobody where I went or why. Obviously my wife would have to know, but I'd never want anyone else to know.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'll talk about it if it comes up in conversation, but it's not like I'm thinking about it 24 hours a day so I don't feel bad about it. I think you can be "obsessive" if you've got other obsessions in your life to balance it out.
kabigon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Does anybody ever feel embarrassed about their level of fandom? Like, in order for me to go to Chicago by myself just for a concert, that would expose to a lot more of people just how rabid my fandom is. Some might think it's unhealthy. My wife can't understand why I would go see the same band so many times. I feel like if I were to go, I would tell nobody where I went or why. Obviously my wife would have to know, but I'd never want anyone else to know.

Yep. I hear ya. Try explaining to friends / Family / colleagues / husband (!) that I really MUST go to Dublin in November, all the way from Aus, despite getting a “leave pass” to nip off to LA last May. It stays under wraps until it becomes necessary to be divulged. Annoys me that no one blinks an eye when people travel for work / weddings / funerals but a concert (or 4 )??????
shika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Pep Talk requested...

I’ll add a female perspective here: do it. You don’t sound like the kind of guys who’s running out with his buddies and getting drunk/high every other night. You seem to take your job/family/responsibilities seriously. You deserve something for you. Like you said, you never know what’s around the bend. You may regret not going.

LadySpinHead is offline   Reply With Quote