One singular, (nearly) universally hated U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Red Light, so I guess not everyone hates it.

Can't speak for Stand Up Comedy. Song blows.

I also like Red Light, and Is That All?

SUC is truly terrible. Miracle Drug comes 2nd in my shitlist, but I know there are some that like that song.

If its universally hated then surely that means the most song hated outside the u2 fan community aswell.

That has to be "get on your boots" it was the track that destroyed nloth with the music buying public and the track that ended the "u2 are relevent tag" after this track they got kicked off all the major relevent radio stations.

Even though for me its not their worst. It has to be the most universally hated u2 track

It's pretty hard to find big fans of Boots here as well these days. What a shocker of a song. I won't be surprised if it becomes a rare lead single to not make it to a second tour (Popmart is the only other time that happened, whether you want to count from Achtung or from Zooropa; there's also Fire, which appeared consistently on the Pre-War Tour but was only played at one date of the War Tour proper).

I wonder if they'll come up with another new chorus for Mercy on the next tour, if it happens.

Just for the feel of it
just for the taste of it
DIET COKE

If its universally hated then surely that means the most song hated outside the u2 fan community aswell.

That has to be "get on your boots" it was the track that destroyed nloth with the music buying public and the track that ended the "u2 are relevent tag" after this track they got kicked off all the major relevent radio stations.

Even though for me its not their worst. It has to be the most universally hated u2 track

I love it :heart:

Yeah it's hard not award GOYB with the title. I don't think it's too much of an overstatement to say it effectively ended U2 as an ongoing concern musically in the eyes of public. But let's give Vomitcano a few years to see what damage it can bestow. Methinks that U2 have somehow, somehow managed to come up with a unique turd to challenge the supremacy of Boots. That takes some doing.

I would say that Red Light and Stand Up Comedy are very close to universal hatred. There are a couple of people who profess to like them, but that's about it, and I'm not sure even anybody who's defended the songs would come out and say they're one of the best on their respective albums, let alone a U2 classic. Compare them with songs such as Elvis Presley and America, Love Rescue Me, or Babyface, for example, which are not wildly popular and have many loud detractors but also enjoy a strong group of big fans, some of whom rank those songs in their U2 top twenty (EPAA especially).

Grace has been named quite a few times as well. Though it's just incredibly dull, rather than being hated I guess.

And yes, I'm one of those fools who really likes SUC. :wink: Of course it's nothing near the best of NLOTH, but I find it not one of the worst either. The lyrics are cringeworthy but I enjoy the music a lot.

EPAA, Babyface and Red Light however? Blaaaaaaaaah. :D

I wonder if they'll come up with another new chorus for Mercy on the next tour, if it happens.

Just for the feel of it
just for the taste of it
DIET COKE

I was drinking some Pepsi
And it tasted like shit
So derivative and disgusting
I wanted to spit

I know Coke is much sweeter
With less sugar
A taste so delicious
It could get away with murder

I was drinking some Pepsi
And it tasted like shit
So derivative and disgusting
I wanted to spit

I know Coke is much sweeter
With less sugar
A taste so delicious
It could get away with murder

Well there's the next tour's opener. Look what you've done.

I dont think you can call tracks like grace,suc and miami universally hated. Because outside the u2 fan base nobody in the universe knows these tracks

Yes they are crap songs and some of u2's worse but there not universally hated.

Boots is,boots has become a joke song for the general public to rip into u2. It isnt u2's worst song though. I quite liked it live.

Kieran and Cobbler, normally I'm with you on stuff like this, but no, Miami really is a huge dog turd.

Normally I'm not with you on these types of things but our universal hatred of Miami has brought us together!

And please, no "you don't like it because you don't understand it". I don't like it because it's crap.

U2 wrote Miami!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's pretty hard to find big fans of Boots here as well these days. What a shocker of a song. I won't be surprised if it becomes a rare lead single to not make it to a second tour (Popmart is the only other time that happened, whether you want to count from Achtung or from Zooropa; there's also Fire, which appeared consistently on the Pre-War Tour but was only played at one date of the War Tour proper).

I actually really like Boots. But it was an abhorrent choice for lead single. And I don't expect it to be played live again.

Really? Where did anyone pay enough attention to it to be a joke?

Well, I did the math on this one and:

(Boots+eye liner+large television event)x"sexy boots" lyric=Joke

I can't remember if I am supposed to divide or multiply the "sexy boots" but when you divide it, the result is classic U2 song that hit #1 and well, that can't be right :)

I detest Grace, Stateless, Love and Peace or vomit, and a few others. But nothing gets my billy goat gruffer than the trio of soft turds unleashed on us in what should have been an epic album but wasn't:

get on yer boots
SUCk
IGCIIDGCT%$#@^&@!&093453trhewkry32u4trjekjrew5u32y5732

*soft serve

To clarify at least what I meant with the post... yes I was actually talking just hardcore fan types on messageboards.

The tracks I listed for the other artists are not known outside their fandoms.

They're almost like part of a secret language among fans.

As in "Christ, that last post reads like Dog Years."

Or here, I guess we could easily slip into "that really SUC'd it up" or "she really Red Lighted on karaoke last night."

SUC is not bad as a b-side.
Boots is not bad as album filler.

But SUC made the album and Boots was the lead single, so yeah... either one of those should get the nomination.

Hmm.. I can't seem to make a poll. In the FAQ, it says the option for a poll is at the bottom of the post new thread screen, but I don't see it. I wonder if I have to level up to get that permission?

You have to be a subscriber to make polls, unfortunately.

Quite some years ago now, we ran a Worst Song Survivor. It was pretty entertaining, but unfortunately ended in a dull final round between Viva Davidoff and ... I think it was Theme From The Swan.

Imagine if Lucifer's Hands had made the album. Well, that happened with SUC. By far the worst song in U2's history.

You have to be a subscriber to make polls, unfortunately.

Quite some years ago now, we ran a Worst Song Survivor. It was pretty entertaining, but unfortunately ended in a dull final round between Viva Davidoff and ... I think it was Theme From The Swan.

That could be the encore if U2 uses my random setlist generator. It seemed to love Viva Davidoff in your setlists.

Back
Top Bottom