Oddball Covers That Just Might Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
I heard "Thunderstruck" on the way to work this morning, and it occurred to me that U2 could probably do a pretty good cover of that.

No one in the crowd would expect it.

I'd welcome some random covers. As long as they don't reggae-fie them like their questionable take on Instant Karma.

But how would that Big Rawk Riff sound as chimey, ringing, delay-filled Edge tones? ;)

I think the intro to Thunderstruck is well within Edge's wheelhouse.

That could be easily modified to use a delay, then he'd hit a looper to loop that through the rest of the song, and the main heavier guitar would just be overdriven without delay with that loop playing in the background.

Considering that U2 have almost never got a cover right in their entire career, I'm not sure I'd pin any hopes on them pulling off an "oddball" choice.

Dancing Barefoot, of course, is a massive exception to their history of cover failures and I'd kill to hear it done live.

I laughed so hard at the first post. The thought of U2 attempting Thunderstuck is inherently funny.

I've always thought that if they wanted to cover a Beatles song, they should have done It's All Too Much instead of Helter Skelter - the less said about that Happiness is a Warm Gun cover, the better. Let's pretend that one never happened.

The guitar in IATM sounds like proto-Edge, he and Larry could easily do the background vocals, and the lyrics and vocal style seem right up Bono's alley. It's basically a U2 song that wrote itself 20 years too early.

Yellowleadbetter is a Elvis Presley and America rewrite... Just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think U2 are hit and miss with covers. I actually like their take on Paint it Black . but damn their take on Fortunate Son was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqYxdC-iqA

Yeah, this is one cover I think they would kill.

EDIT: Although I think they would do a better job with the shorter version that was on the Yellow Submarine album (I couldn't find a video for that one but it cuts out the 3rd and 4th verses and about two minutes off the outro before it gets real wacky). I think this is the movie version.

Back
Top Bottom