Kygo Should Produce the Next U2 Album and Tour With Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
No, I'm not kidding.

First of all, I'm sure the concept will be initially shaped by your thoughts on the Kygo mix of Best Thing.

To me, it's the freshest they've sounded since the 90's.

I would love it if they made a cutting edge EDM record with Kygo at the helm. They could embrace their SUCCESS in blending genres with Pop and make the album while touring for E&I (a la Zooropa).

I'm sure they have more than enough material as jumping off points and the quick recording would ensure that it wouldn't be overcooked.

Then, they could release the album and tour it with Kygo or another DJ as an opener...and Kygo could be on stage with them to play the new tracks as well as POP cuts remixed by him and perhaps others. Or just play some of them the way they are on the album and Kygo trigger the synths and other sounds that are usually done below the stage.

Picture UF played with Kygo behind the band triggering sounds.

Just think about it. Some would scoff (which is a good thing) and say they're now aping Coldplay by incorporating EDM. But they already did it in the 90's so that argument is bogus.

They could make another experimental record (finally) and sound fresh again. If the songs were outstanding (they would be) then they would win over a lot of younger fans (of course some would still hate it but so what).

They could also embrace POP once again, play other danceable songs like MW (Kygo could remix a few.) They could easily craft an exciting setlist and say screw the warhorses as the crowd it would attract wouldn't be the same mix of people.

I think it would be the most exciting thing they could do!

And just think about what could be done with the stage show! Willie Williams would have the time of his life with the dance club concept! They could start the show off in small arenas or even theaters and then quickly move to larger venues. Make it look like they had no idea how big it would be and like they're weren't even trying to be big.

This is how they make a fresh album, challenge themselves, and get the relevance Bono so badly wants.

This is a WIN / WIN / WIN.

Picture them playing Lady With A Spinning Head in such a setting! They could play a couple of old remixes as well (there was one good MW one) but avoid all the crap ones.

Come on guys, expand your horizons! Stop sticking your toe in the water and dive in! Abandon the "must include the warhorses" mindset if you want to be a vital part of the future musical landscape.

Last edited:
From what I've heard of his remix I'm not impressed, sounded amateur hour to me. So as of now, no, but I'll get it a proper spin if it gets released.

From what I've heard of his remix I'm not impressed, sounded amateur hour to me. So as of now, no, but I'll get it a proper spin if it gets released.

from what we could hear (and yea, some of the recordings were ok, but can't really tell too much in terms of production nuances), i wouldn't call it amateur hour. it sounded like what I would expect a typical Kygo remix to sound like, though with the chopped up vocals. if anything, it sounded a bit lazy.

from what we could hear (and yea, some of the recordings were ok, but can't really tell too much in terms of production nuances), i wouldn't call it amateur hour. it sounded like what I would expect a typical Kygo remix to sound like, though with the chopped up vocals. if anything, it sounded a bit lazy.

I like it...and Pop (more than JT).

I'm not sure if I should have to thank people for keeping it civil, but I do appreciate it.

This is the absolute worst thing they could do and would just be another notch in their "old guys at the club" belt.

I'm all for experimenting and sounding fresh - but a rock band with members approaching 60 making an EDM record screams of desperation and would be greeted as such.

agreed.

IMO the tracks they did with Danger Mouse on SOI sound just fresh enough while maintaining a "maturity" -for lack of a better word- that suits a band of their age and stature.

This is the absolute worst thing they could do and would just be another notch in their "old guys at the club" belt.

I'm all for experimenting and sounding fresh - but a rock band with members approaching 60 making an EDM record screams of desperation and would be greeted as such.

Even if it was really friggin' good?

agreed.

IMO the tracks they did with Danger Mouse on SOI sound just fresh enough while maintaining a "maturity" -for lack of a better word- that suits a band of their age and stature.

I was surprised and pleased that SOI was so strong...and think SOE will be as good if not better...but man oh man am I tired of middle of the road Adult Contemporary ballpark material from U2.

They'll never get the relevance or make another masterpiece again if they keep going down that road. Apart from bits of NLOTH (they retreated too much), it's been nearly twenty years of that road.

Can we get some bravery, please?

i am all for having people like Kygo and others do remixes on a bonus disc rather than an acoustic bonus disc.

but yeah, if the whole album proper + tour was this, it wouldn't be received well. and the sound would be extremely repetitive.

Nearly 60 year old men shouldn't be making edm records. It would look like old men trying to be cool.

Nearly 60 year old men shouldn't be making edm records. It would look like old men trying to be cool.

I think they could pull it off if the music was exceptional and they didn't try so hard to look young (that's what would ruin it). Have Edge take his hat off and rock the bald head, Bono could lose the sunglasses and the failing longer hair attempts...and just blow people's minds with amazing music.

To those who don't think it's a good idea, do you want them to bravely experiment again (without second guessing their choices and worrying about hits)?

If so, what direction do you think they could feasibly go in, then?

Or is it AC all the way to the end of the road?

I don't see a better option, from my perspective.

I think they could pull it off if the music was exceptional and they didn't try so hard to look young (that's what would ruin it). Have Edge take his hat off and rock the bald head, Bono could lose the sunglasses and the failing longer hair attempts...and just blow people's minds with amazing music.

To those who don't think it's a good idea, do you want them to bravely experiment again (without second guessing their choices and worrying about hits)?

If so, what direction do you think they could feasibly go in, then?

Or is it AC all the way to the end of the road?

I don't see a better option, from my perspective.

That's the thing u2 could make a record better then the Joshua tree and achtung baby combined but it still wouldn't be as big and still wouldn't get the credit it would deserve . That ships sailed. There's a stigma with u2 now that people will never let drop. An older band will always have the " it's not as good as their old stuff " tag regardless what they put out. U2's market for new music is a lot smaller then it used to be.

By going back to edm their already trying to be young just by doing that. It's not 93 anymore their nearly 60 years old.

I hate what Coldplay have turned into, they used to be such a good band now they release music to be cool with the kids.

I just want them to keep their dignity, release good albums and tour for as long as they want to

That's the thing u2 could make a record better then the Joshua tree and achtung baby combined but it still wouldn't be as big and still wouldn't get the credit it would deserve . That ships sailed. There's a stigma with u2 now that people will never let drop. An older band will always have the " it's not as good as their old stuff " tag regardless what they put out. U2's market for new music is a lot smaller then it used to be.

By going back to edm their already trying to be young just by doing that. It's not 93 anymore their nearly 60 years old.

I hate what Coldplay have turned into, they used to be such a good band now they release music to be cool with the kids.

I just want them to keep their dignity, release good albums and tour for as long as they want to

Sounds like giving up to me.

Yes, many detractors would say that they're trying to hard to be cool and young. So what? There will always be detractors no matter what. That's a given.

The variables are whether or not the album was overcooked, is brave, experimental, and is one where U2 pushes out of their comfort zone.

So we can have another safe AC album (even if it's pretty great) with detractors...or we could potentially have another masterpiece with different types of detractors.

Do the math ;]

I don't think the ship has sailed. It's just about giving up on making hits and being bold...and then they will come. Desperation attracts no one.

If the music is phenomenal the stigma will become irrelevant.

Fuck dignity. It's not dignified to go quietly into the night. You're supposed to rage against the dying of the light.

P.S. I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. It's too much like U2 which I get plenty of ;]. With that said, the older I get the less I care about what's cool. I'm a sucker for a great song and Sky Full Of Stars, IMO, is most certainly that. The music is exceptional, it gets airplay, and it's a ton of fun. Plus the drummer is going for it. Anything else is just talking.

Last edited:
Not doing EDM does not equal middle of the road adult contemporary.

I just think people are suggesting different routes, it doesn't mean 'giving up'.

Not doing EDM does not equal middle of the road adult contemporary.

I just think people are suggesting different routes, it doesn't mean 'giving up'.

Yet no one is suggesting a different, more experimental approach. If not EDM, then what? Because, after the next album (which I'm guessing will be in a similar vein musically as SOI), I'm really hoping they push themselves again to experiment and be bold / brave.

It's easy to cast stones...not as easy to come up with a good idea.

My question is, for those who think it's a horrible idea, what other experimental approach could they take next? One that would be feasible, inspiring, and potentially reach the masses like they so badly desire to?

Last edited:
Alright, I get it. No one likes the idea but no one has a better one. Am I the only one who wants them to be bold and adventurous musically again?

I thought ole' Cobbler would be on board, at least.

Yet no one is suggesting a different, more experimental approach. If not EDM, then what? Because, after the next album (which I'm guessing will be in a similar vein musically as SOI), I'm really hoping they push themselves again to experiment and be bold / brave.

It's easy to cast stones...not as easy to come up with a good idea.

My question is, for those who think it's a horrible idea, what other experimental approach could they take next? One that would be feasible, inspiring, and potentially reach the masses like they so badly desire to?

Well elevated mentioned that sticking with DM would have been a much preferred route, and I agree.

I think the idea that it has to be edm to be experimental is short sighted. 'Experimental' is a term far too abused in this forum.

With or Without You was experimental.

Fast Cars was experimental.

You don't have to be electronic to be experimental.

There were songs on SOI that were fresh new ground for them. It doesn't always have to be some huge departure.

Well elevated mentioned that sticking with DM would have been a much preferred route, and I agree.

I think the idea that it has to be edm to be experimental is short sighted. 'Experimental' is a term far too abused in this forum.

With or Without You was experimental.

Fast Cars was experimental.

You don't have to be electronic to be experimental.

There were songs on SOI that were fresh new ground for them. It doesn't always have to be some huge departure.

Good point. I'm hoping for a huge departure after SOE (granted, I haven't even heard it yet). I think they would be best served by that departure being electronic, again. It would have to be with some type of twist, though, since they've already done that.

They've been too bland / masses pleasing, for my tastes, since 2000. Not sure how else to say it.

Back
Top Bottom