I had a big argument with a guy on another music discussion forum...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
I posted a thread about U2 headlining Glastonbury, and this is what the guy responded with:

Idiot said:
"Oh U2, I like them they're just one of the few bands that never really broke out of their comfort zone. Most artists try new things but they kind of stayed exactly the same. They're pretty good though."

Suffice it to say, I flipped out in one big post. He hasn't responded yet, but do you guys have anything specific you think I should post?

I would have simply asked him if he were a) alive during the 90s; or b) if alive, did he spend the entire decade in a drug-induced blackout?

You don't even need a big post, you need two words: The 90s.

On the other hand, it's nice to see U2 being referenced in a non-slagging way on another music forum. Slightly clueless about the whole scope of U2's career, but I don't think that makes him an idiot.

I would have simply asked him if he were a) alive during the 90s; or b) if alive, did he spend the entire decade in a drug-induced blackout?

You don't even need a big post, you need two words: The 90s.

Actually it wasn't even a big post, this is what I said:

"hahahahahaha

this is the dumbest thing i've ever read.

have you heard any of U2's albums?

The musical change between The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby is phenomenal. And from there, they continued to experiment with different styles and sounds, which brought forth Zooropa and Pop, two of their best and most underrated albums. And every album since the 90's has been experimental, exploratory and amazing.

I can see you saying that their first three albums are similar, but after War, everything really sort of changed. They definitely have broken out of their comfort zone, several times in fact."

Yeah, I came back to edit my post to even add The Unforgettable Fire, but it's not as strong an argument as "The 90s."

Yeah, I came back to edit my post to even add The Unforgettable Fire, but it's not as strong an argument as "The 90s."

Yes, I agree.

It just gets me riled up when people say that U2 sounds the same across their discography or that they "never leave their comfort zone". Because it's so obviously an argument from somebody that has really never listened to U2's music. And that just bugs me. The whole judging a book by it's cover thing.

Uh, I have one piece of advice.

Don't bother. It's not worth the time and effort. People on the internet are mostly idiots. They hate on U2. Why should you care?

If its someone younger, who only knows a few 00s U2 singles and a few big ones from the 80s from some Classic Rock station they've drifted across, it wouldn't be that ridiculous a belief to hold.

Just give him/her a list of songs - tell them to look them up, maybe on youtube, or even link to them yourself - that are all massively varied. I mean, you couldn't play, say, Angel of Harlem and Mofo back to back to someone and suggest that there's not variety there. Just pick ten extreme examples like that.

Haha. I was chatting with him (and a few other guys) while we listened to some stuff on the new MumuPlayer.

I uploaded a bunch of Passengers songs. Most of them with no or limited vocals so they wouldn't know that it was actually U2. Then I uploaded Miss Sarajevo with Bono's distinctive voice and then one other guy was like :ohmy: this was U2? And he emailed me later for a list of U2's "experimental" songs in hopes of him getting into them more. I replied and said, "Listen to all their 90's music!"

Actually it wasn't even a big post, this is what I said:

Why not respond to a relatively civilized post with a nice one yourself? No need to get all hostile and such. know what I mean? Cool that you got him interested though. That's what it's all about. I can be a bit of a music fairy with people I know.... that probably doesn't read like I intended ;) ....think tooth fairy, but with music.... and instead of flying in their windows and putting stuff under their pillows, I just email it to them..... ya, it's a shitty metaphor

I know it was probably hot-headed of me to say the things I did, but I was just tired of everyone on that music forum bashing on my favorite band. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't even mention U2 without getting fifty replies yelling at me. This guy was a relatively new member who said this and I figured I'd try to stop the U2 hating before it started with him.

It just pisses me off, because I am generally accepting of other people's musical interests and tastes and it is upsetting and annoying when people are so close-minded. But, what can you do?

You should have just mentioned that U2 have covered a wide range of genres, like reggae, funk, disco, techno, soul, gospel, hard rock, blues, country, folk ect.

Hey, I'm on the internet!!!! :grumpy: What are you saying? :sad:

Well, if the cable modem fits, then...

:applaud:

Going back on topic...

I've heard that irrational comment before as well. If one's exposure to U2 is "The Joshua Tree" and maybe R&H, then perhaps that comment about their music "sounding the same" is true. However, early U2, 90's U2, and even recent U2 are vastly different.

Then again, the fact that Bono sings most songs may be the problem. Bono sings, he sounds relatively the same now as he did then - so clearly the song is the same. :rolleyes:

Rather than say most people online are morons, I'd say simply, "most people are morons". Being online just means they can showcase their stupidity more readily. :drool:

TheEdge25 said:
Yes, I agree.

It just gets me riled up when people say that U2 sounds the same across their discography or that they "never leave their comfort zone". Because it's so obviously an argument from somebody that has really never listened to U2's music. And that just bugs me. The whole judging a book by it's cover thing.

I have had this argument countless time with this guy from work,says U2 copy the style that's popular at the time. He even said they just rip off coldplay!

Why not respond to a relatively civilized post with a nice one yourself? No need to get all hostile and such.

Yeah, seconded.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I barely wade into EYKIW any more. Not only do some people feel the need to respond condescendingly and angrily to any slag of U2 elsewhere, but then they need to start a thread on here to get other people to pat them on the back and be all aghast about "zomg somebody on the Intarwebz doesn't see U2 the way we do!!!!11"

Look, it's all about your musical frame of reference. If all you've really been exposed to is top forty music and radio-friendly rock from the last few decades, then U2's change from the eighties to the nineties gets pretty close to being a mindfuck. And since that's the musical frame of reference for most casual listeners out there, The Fly/Achtung consequently had a huge impact.

But if you're a music obsessive with a broad frame of reference encompassing everything from jazz to IDM to depressive black metal (I'm not making that genre up; it has some good stuff), then no, U2 really haven't changed that much. You're hardly going to bat an eyelid at it the same way as you might be staggered by the changing identity of, say, Ulver. Perhaps that's where this guy is coming from. Sure, you'd notice stylistic differences between Love Rescue Me and Mofo, but it wouldn't seem that big a deal to you. Your frame of reference has those two points fairly close on the musical continuum. Especially since the band's actual approach to songwriting has rarely deviated from the mainstream norms, once you strip away the trappings; Passengers and a few tracks on Zooropa (and to a lesser extent, UF) being the notable times when they did move away from thiose norms. And I can hardly blame somebody who's not an obsessive for being unaware of that, even if they are aware of singles from the period (One? MW? Stay? HMTMKMKM? Discotheque? Not exactly the biggest hints towards Zooropa's title track or Always Forever Now or United Colours!).

Aw, I can't get that violent in my pretend outrage. I just go with "slap" or "kick in the shins."

Back
Top Bottom