Favorite 10 seconds of a U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry's drum intro on bullet the blue sky....going into Adam's baseline and edge's feedback

Last edited:
The end of Elvis Presley and America.

"Don't you leave, don't leave out part of me
Then I can feel, like I feel before
Like I hurt now, and I see the floor
And you pick me up, bits and pieces on this floor"

Le drool.

Ultraviolet, when the instruments kick in after "And love, it won't be long".

Last edited:
the first 10 seconds of a sort of homecoming.

Oh my god yes.

In fact if I made a ranking of U2 in 10 second pieces, the top hundred would be filled by pieces from ASOH.

A Sort of Homecoming
"No spoken words" (3:47) - "Tonight" (4:03).
I realize that's slightly longer than 10 seconds, but that whole section is the greatest moment of any U2 song ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's heard to say exactly ten seconds, but in the ballpark, a few off the top of my head:

With Or Without You - the climactic oh-oh-oh-oh, about 14 seconds, and one of the signature moments of their entire career. Never fails to get the whole arena/stadium singing as one, but Bono's delivery on the record is something special, imo.

Love Is Blindness - at the end, 18 seconds, 3:36-3:54, Bono's dah, dah, dah-dah, dah stuff. Devastating delivery.

Zooropa - 'And I have no compass/And I have no map/and I have no reason/no reason to go back'

Your Blue Room - Adam's bass fill at the end, 20 seconds but one of my very favorite Adam moments

Please - 'so love is big/bigger than us/but love is not/what you're thinking of', album or single version. About 15 seconds.

When I Look At The World - the guitar solo immediately preceding 'I can't wait any longer etc'. About 20 seconds, but I always loved it.

Crystal Ballroom - the middle-8 after the second chorus - oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, ascending upward until going back down on the last one. 15 second, but sends chills down my spine with guitar work underneath it.

Final moments of Edge's solo and back into the chorus of The Fly.

"Father to Son" Section of Dirty Day

2nd chorus of Unforgettable Fire, when he says "I'm only asking but I.. I think you knoooooooooow!" Magic.

"Shine like stars" section of WOWY from Rattle and Hum. The moment my fandom was solidified.

In an effort to name something that hasn't been named, the end of the intro and Edge's guitar kicking in on "Magnificent". It's a shame the song as a whole is underwhelming but that 10 seconds is pretty phenomenal.

SLABT:

Great falsetto:
Hope is where the door is
When the church is where the war is
Where no one can feel no one else's pain

Also nice vocals here:

In your dreams, everything is alright
Tomorrow dawns like someone else's suicide

Intro of Mofo

Intro of Zoo Station

The Fly Edge Solo

UV (gives me the chills EVERYTIME)
When I was all messed up and I heard opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed

The guitar solo in Miracle Drug from 2:45-3:00. And then Edge's 15-second vocals right after that.

I've always loved that part of the song.... unfortunately it never had the same effect in the live setting. Which is rare for a U2 song.

The riff from Pride and the last chorus "In the naaamee".
The second "How long, how long must we sing this song?" after the second chorus.
The the second chorus os Bad.
You glorify the past when the future dries uuuup!
The last where the streets have no name, where the streets have no name...
The intro in One.
The guitar part of Discotheque new mix when it starts again in the end
The intro of Staring at the Sun Pop version
Everything i ever lost now has been returned

Coming out of the bridge on Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses:
Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, and don't look back
Come on now love, don't you look back

In God's Country, when Edge comes back in during the interlude after the second chorus.

One Tree Hill:
and when it's raining, raining hard
that's when the rain will break my heart

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own:
Can, you, hear, me, when, I, sing
You’re the reason I sing

Beautiful Day:
And, see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out

Hands down favorite though, intro to Streets.

The first 10 seconds of Lemon. It's just so... weird. But in an awesome way.

U2-lemon-2.gif

This is a great thread, so many awesome choices in here. How sad there's only two pages :(

For me, this is hard, as there are three U2 songs I like more, but if someone put a gun to my head I would say, without doubt, that the best 10 seconds of U2 is

"Waves and regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy"

Back
Top Bottom