Edge's most soothing guitar solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just off the top of my head would be Moment of Surrender, but I'll have to think on this! Interesting topic.

Yeah, Velvet Dress immediately comes to mind.

The ending to Your Blue Room as well.

Captive soundtrack. ... Edge/Larry/Sinead ///ROWENAS THEME //HEROINE. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using U2 Interference mobile app

Velvet dress

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Would you really call that a guitar solo...? It's like those who claim there is a guitar solo in Invisible...give me a break :lol:

I'm not taking anything away from the guitar work or song, and this is not a slight on Edge by any means...but what people constitute as a "guitar solo" in regards to U2/Edge is ridiculous.

Moment of Surrender.

If your soul isn't healed by the perfect absolution offered by Edge's haunting solo in that song, you probably don't have a soul to heal.

That's a typical example of Edge sounding uninspired and going through the motions on No Line on the Horizon. Completely unmemorable. The "solo" to Magnificent is even more subpar, but this song really deserved a better lead guitar in my mind.

His guitar work in the studio version of One is pretty soothing. It's pushed back into the mix and it's not nearly as vibrant as what he does when playing it live. So in that sense it's very smoothing, I find.

Going way back in time, his guitar work in The Ocean is soothing as well.

That's a typical example of Edge sounding uninspired and going through the motions on No Line on the Horizon. Completely unmemorable. The "solo" to Magnificent is even more subpar, but this song really deserved a better lead guitar in my mind.

:up:

Completely sidestepping the discussion of what constitutes a guitar solo, I'll say Promenade has Edge's most soothing guitar work in general.

Completely sidestepping the discussion of what constitutes a guitar solo, I'll say Promenade has Edge's most soothing guitar work in general.

I was thinking about including this as well.

MOS came to me right away. He may have better ones, but soothing is the right word for that one.

Is Edge supposed to start 'shredding' at this point in his career or something?

As for my vote in a 'soothing' lead guitar part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epkYdpjsw0c

Would you really call that a guitar solo...? It's like those who claim there is a guitar solo in Invisible...give me a break :lol:

I'm not taking anything away from the guitar work or song, and this is not a slight on Edge by any means...but what people constitute as a "guitar solo" in regards to U2/Edge is ridiculous.

Okay, this made me wonder whether there is any hard and fast definition of a guitar solo. I had always considered it as a place in a song that is kept for a guitar statement that is different from the guitarwork on the rest of the song.
Wikipedia defines it as 'In popular music, a guitar solo is a melodic passage, section, or entire piece of music written for an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar.' To me that is pretty inclusive of passages of many lengths, instead of say a minimum length or something. Dont know what you meant or if you were responding to my nomination of velvet dress. I think Velvet Dress definitely has a solo in the sense that there is a passage where the guitar takes over and all other instruments support its journey. Very soothing IMO

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

This would be one of the top of list......

If You Wear That Velvet Dress (live from Popmart Las Vegas) - YouTube

Please..... add other soothing solos you think are as worthy as that solo.

I've actually been rewatching this entire concert multiple times this week. :drool:

"Bass Trap"

That song is one of my all time favorites. For so many reasons. :drool:

And I've also been rewatching FTSD as well lately. I must say, the Edge vocal of Love Is Blindness has a very soothing quality to it. (Whereas the original AB cut is more haunting and angst-like as the song's main 'subject' searches for his redemption.)

When I Look At The World has some great guitar work.

Totally agreed! I have the delay settings on a preset but I haven't ever gotten around to really digging into the song. Might do that today, he does some really great stuff in this song.

Back
Top Bottom