Bono’s voice: the definitive comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyway, I know a lot of people find something appealing about his world weary voice of the 2000s but I just think it's kind of too bad that he sings the way he does now not because he chooses to but because that's all he has left. Still, I'm glad their still making music and I admire him for adapting as best he can to his limitations.

Bono (U2) with Mick Jagger - Recording JOY - YouTube
0.33 He's trying to reach them. :giggle:

And speaking of New Year's Day, I love when Bono hits that "torn" note in the middle verse. That's probably what you all would call a "scream," but fuck that. It's awesome. One of my favorite things he sings.

Ok, I know what you’re thinking..another Bono’s voice thread. However without delving into the largely subjective debate, at least not in this first post, about when Bono was a better singer or when you or me personally think Bono sounded the best according to what YOU think is pleasing to the ear this comparison of Gloria, 1983 vs. Gloria 2005 demonstrates in a very clear way how the strength and power of his voice has changed over time. Notice I didn’t say which is “better” or even which one I prefer but maybe you can guess…

Now of course inevitably this will turn into a debate of “Bono can’t sing anymore” vs. “He’s sounded better in the 2000’s than he ever has”. However I think the bottom line is that being a skilled singer (which I think he still is) who can make the best of his abilities at the time doesn’t necessarily mean having a strong voice…

Gloria - YouTube
U2 - Gloria / The Ocean Live from Vertigo Tour [Legendado em PT-BR] - YouTube

Pretty non representative here.

The 1st performance of Gloria since Lovetown, on the 2nd night of the Vertigo tour, a few shows before the band had even established their set list framework, never mind hit their stride??

Plus, Gloria was played far less on Vertigo than I Will Follow, Electric Co and Bad, all of which sounded much better vocally. It wasn't a focus of the tour, so they didn't give it as much energy. Like DoctorWho said, you're comparing it to one of the best, if not the best, performance ever of Gloria and acting like there weren't literally 300+ performances of it from 81-90, many of which were nowhere near as good as Red Rocks.

Finally, March 2005, 7+ years ago on the 2nd night of a tour doesn't even come close to representing Bono's voice now.

We can pick Lovetown and JT shows where Bono leaves out whole verses and is audibly weak and horse and make a similar argument. Does that mean he couldn't sing then?

He's always had on and off nights/periods, just like any singer, as PurpleOscar pointed out.

The only weak era Bono ever had was 1997-2003. Other than that, he's always been an incredibly powerful and dynamic singer, with vocals in much better shape than almost all of his peers.

To suggest that he's a certain unacceptable percentage of what he was flies in the face of all evidence.

-Bad(See posted videos in Rome and Pittsburgh)

-All I Want Is You:
U2 Sydney - All I Want Is You & Love Rescue Me @ ANZ Stadium, 14/12/10 (Shot from Red Zone) [HD] - YouTube

-Streets:
U2 - Blowin' In The Wind/Where The Streets Have No Name - Salt Lake City, Rice Eccles 5/24/2011 - YouTube

-Sunday Bloody Sunday:
U2 & Jay-Z Sunday Bloody Sunday Berlin, Brandenburg Gate 2009-11-05 - YouTube

-I Will Follow:
U2 Denver Invesco Field 5-21-11 I will follow - YouTube

-Pride:
U2 (1080HD) - Pride (In The Name Of Love) - Chicago - 2011-07-05 - Soldier Field - 360 Tour - YouTube

-Out of Control:
U2 "Out of Control" live at New Meadowlands Stadium, July 20, 2011 - YouTube

-New Year's Day:
U2 - New Years Day live in Vienna 360° Tour 30.08.2010 HD - YouTube

Not to mention Ultraviolet and Moment of Surrender which were just beyond incredible, especially in 2009.

All of these songs consistently sounded this good and powerful on 360......speaks for itself.

I have a bigger issue with Bono physical presence or energy than the quality of his voice in the past decade.The Boss and Jagger are walking all over him in the physical stage presence department in the last couple of tours,in my opinion.As for his vocals,well he's still hasnt reach the badness and unlistenable level of Bob Dylan......yet.

Seriously? That's the best Bono sounds, when he actually has some passion in his voice. There's a slight "scream" aspect to it, I guess, but it's mostly just him being into the song. He sounds way more detached in most performances these days (post-Popmart), coasting through half of the songs.

Nope. I think his screaming was the definition of coasting.

Not to go too far into it but Ultraviolet is a pretty bad example of what you're saying. ZooTV Ultraviolet was beyond incredible. 360 ranged from good to at times decent (vocally).

Nah. 360 blew ZooTV away. Edge did much of the heavy lifting on ZooTV versions.

Von Schloopen said:

Coasting on what? Sheer force of will? Really bizarre logic here.

You're making the claim that screaming, the vocal style that ravaged his voice, was easily done. A crutch. He pushed so little that he hurt himself. Because he didn't overanalyze his vocal delivery (which you don't know) and adjusted to protect it, he was mailing it in.

There's nothing more earnest than 80s Bono, for better or worse.

Frankly, I don't think you really understand what's going on with his voice, the reverb+delay (and whatever else is sprinkled in there now) and the "awakes", across these different versions. There's essentially no difference in the technique between the LA one you first quoted, this one, or the 360 version that Bonocomet shared. He's not "screaming" the awake in the 87 LA version or Washington 92 version any more than he was on the 360 version or the 86 NJ version.

I'm not saying that he didn't scream more in the 80s, that much is accepted fact. But your examples of Bad don't prove this point, period.

And there is no way in hell the Farm Club is better than the 87 or 92 Bads. Just no frickin way, not even subjective. It's not a good vocal at ALL, not by any standard, certainly not Bono's.

Look at the 92 Bad from DC and listen to the "Wide"'s and tell me that his voice isnt overscreamed and strainded... Every vocal coach will say that the word "Wide" in DC 1992 version 5:24 in this clip is pure straining:
U2 - Bad - Washington DC - 1992-08-16 - YouTube

You wont find Bono sing like that in 2009-2011.

You can hear it clear.

I havent say that Farm Club is a good one, I appreciate the low singing more then a overscreamed "awake", I took Farm Club as an exeample to show how much I dont like screaming and straining.

The word 'coasting' was not in 80's Bono's vocab, it was all or nothing everytime.

To listen to his performance in that version of that One Tree Hill performance and reach the conclusion that he 'just coasted through it' is a logic I'll never understand.

If that's the definition of coasting, I'd hate to see what Bono would have to do for you to believe he's really pushing himself to the limit.

Since the 90's he's become a bit lazier, happy to take his foot off the pedal in songs such as Pride, SBS and WOWY. Part of this is due to age, he just does not have the energy he used to have and part of it is just due to the number of times he's sung these songs. No matter what he does he just cannot approach those tunes fresh anymore.

As for that performance of Bad from Washington 92, it's one of my very favourites, yeah it's a bit sloppy and the first round of 'Wide Awakes' are a bit strained, but the final batch (especially the first) is just jaw-dropping. He hits it with so much force it could have taken the roof off.

Plenty of highness and clarity these days, but precious little of the same kind of raw power.

Coasting on what? Sheer force of will? Really bizarre logic here.

You're making the claim that screaming, the vocal style that ravaged his voice, was easily done. A crutch. He pushed so little that he hurt himself. Because he didn't overanalyze his vocal delivery (which you don't know) and adjusted to protect it, he was mailing it in.

There's nothing more earnest than 80s Bono, for better or worse.

Screaming = sheer force of will? Please. Screaming was easy for 80s Bono. He could, with out a doubt, coast on that scream. And he did. It was always there. Pure throat voice. He used is as a crutch so much that he destroyed it.

Then he had to learn how to sing. And things got interesting.

Screaming was easy for 80s Bono.

Then why did it damage his voice? He put himself into all of those performances. You used the wrong word and are rolling with it anyhow.

80s Bono did a lot of things, but he didn't "coast." It may have been all he knew how to do (also absurd) but he didn't mail it in. A lot of us feel he does that now, which is why this debate exists. Listen to a Joshua Tree tour bootleg; you won't often hear him breathless, or dodging a perfectly good note. His range is still good today, but he sounds tired/raspy to me a lot of time.

But hey, maybe that's your bag. Bono's vocals used to dominate, a secret weapon to take songs into the stratosphere. And now? He sings the songs pretty well and stuff.

Also, even as an outsider, not-really-all-that-into-it-but-have-heard-the-classics metal listener, I'm offended by the definition of "screaming" being thrown around in here. What you guys are talking about is singing forcefully and with passion.

Oh noez. Not that.

Von Schloopen said:
Screaming = sheer force of will? Please. Screaming was easy for 80s Bono. He could, with out a doubt, coast on that scream. And he did. It was always there. Pure throat voice. He used is as a crutch so much that he destroyed it.

Then he had to learn how to sing. And things got interesting.

He uses his crutch whilst singing? What?

Then why did it damage his voice? He put himself into all of those performances. You used the wrong word and are rolling with it anyhow.

80s Bono did a lot of things, but he didn't "coast." It may have been all he knew how to do (also absurd) but he didn't mail it in. A lot of us feel he does that now, which is why this debate exists. Listen to a Joshua Tree tour bootleg; you won't often hear him breathless, or dodging a perfectly good note. His range is still good today, but he sounds tired/raspy to me a lot of time.

But hey, maybe that's your bag. Bono's vocals used to dominate, a secret weapon to take songs into the stratosphere. And now? He sings the songs pretty well and stuff.

Used the wrong word? Coasting = doing what's easy. Screaming was easy for 80s Bono. You don't understand the word, and you're calling me out on it? Hysterical.

Out of breath? Raspy? that means mailing it in? I'd think mailing it in wouldn't result in one being breathless? Going breathless is usually a sign of great effort, the polar opposite of "mailing it in."

And I don't get the assertion that there's "a lot of you." Is that supposed to sway me? How is that any different than saying the best record is the best selling record?

Me? I like him cause he sings song pretty well. And stuff.

Used the wrong word? Coasting = doing what's easy. Screaming was easy for 80s Bono. You don't understand the word, and you're calling me out on it? Hysterical.

Jeez. This suggests that you merely got the impression that I disagreed with you in some capacity and in the process of getting pissy forgot what I was saying. A review: I am of the opinion that screaming was NOT easy for 80s Bono and therefore hurt his voice. It was, then, not an example of coasting, but passion for what he was doing. I am perfectly aware of what the word means.

You still haven't answered this question:

Then why did it damage his voice?

Elsewhere:

Out of breath? Raspy? that means mailing it in? I'd think mailing it in wouldn't result in one being breathless? Going breathless is usually a sign of great effort, the polar opposite of "mailing it in."

It also suggests being out of shape. Or the result of years of smoking. Clearly, he doesn't have the same lung capacity that he used to.

You don't know how words work.
Nah. 360 blew ZooTV away. Edge did much of the heavy lifting on ZooTV versions.
On Ultraviolet? If by "heavy lifting," you mean, "He sang the part he sang on the album," then I guess he did the heavy lifting. Most others would call that ... I don't know what most others would call that. But I'm starting to have the sneaking suspicion you don't understand basic premises and concepts about anything, so I am not even sure what I am doing here.

Jeez. This suggests that you merely got the impression that I disagreed with you in some capacity and in the process forgot what I was saying. A review: I am of the opinion that screaming was NOT easy for 80s Bono and therefore hurt his voice. It was, then, not an example of coasting, but passion for what he was doing. I am perfectly aware of what the word means.

It doesn't suggest it, it flat out says it. You: screaming= passion and trying. Not screaming = no passion, not trying, "mailing it in" or coasting.

You still haven't answered this question:

Then why did it damage his voice?

Throat singing is improper and damages the voice. For examples, see Bono, circa 89/90.

For specific a example see U2 Live, Sarajevo, 9/23/97. The scream in "Gone", followed by the rest of the concert.

It also suggests being out of shape. Or the result of years of smoking. Clearly, he doesn't have the same lung capacity that he used to.

Indeed. Yet someone with reduced lung capacity and advanced age and girth is still able to sing with passion? no? Or is screaming the only sign of passion? He can't scream anymore. It's gone. Pun intended. Kaput. Over. Done.

Yet he still sings. Very well. A great lost tool. Replaced with technique and skill. Against Father Time no less.

And, to you, that's mailing it in. Coasting.

I'm willing to bet it was harder for Bono to learn how to sing without the scream that it was with the scream. To me, that's the opposite of mailing it in or coasting.

And why didn't you answer this:

And I don't get the assertion that there's "a lot of you." Is that supposed to sway me? How is that any different than saying the best record is the best selling record?

Yet he still sings. Very well.
No, and that's sort of the point. He sings fairly well for a guy his age, not very well. He sounded better in the 1980s, technique be damned. That's the whole point. I'm not arguing about technique. I'm arguing about what sounds better.

Bono sounded better in the 1980s, and people who suggest he sounds better now are full of it. It's literally the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

You don't know how words work.

On Ultraviolet? If by "heavy lifting," you mean, "He sang the part he sang on the album," then I guess he did the heavy lifting. Most others would call that ... I don't know what most others would call that. But I'm starting to have the sneaking suspicion you don't understand basic premises and concepts about anything, so I am not even sure what I am doing here.

Well, we're comparing the live versions, from 360 and ZooTv. Not live versions and the album cut.

What was that you were saying about how words work?

No, and that's sort of the point. He sings fairly well for a guy his age, not very well. He sounded better in the 1980s, technique be damned. That's the whole point. I'm not arguing about technique. I'm arguing about what sounds better.

Bono sounded better in the 1980s, and people who suggest he sounds better now are full of it. It's literally the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

Well, we're not talking about whether Bono sounds better right now. I don't know why you're injecting yourself into this.

Lemonmelon and I are discussing "coasting." Which is a different topic.

Oh, and Bono sounds better now than in the 80s. So, you don't want to interact with me. Sounds like you have issues with differing opinions.

Well, we're comparing the live versions, from 360 and ZooTv. Not live versions and the album cut.

What was that you were saying about how words work?
Because Bono sang Edge's part along with him? That's an arrangement switch, not proof that he can hit that note better now.

I'd take a listen to the outro of the ZooTV versions. Bono nailed it back then.

Well, we're not talking about whether Bono sounds better right now. I don't know why you're injecting yourself into this.

Lemonmelon and I are discussing "coasting." Which is a different topic.

Oh, and Bono sounds better now than in the 80s. So, you don't want to interact with me. Sounds like you have issues with differing opinions.
Oh, was this a series of private messages between you and LM? Forgive me, I thought this was an Internet forum. My mistake.

P.S.: I am pretty sure it was I who "injected" the topic of coasting into the conversation in the first place.

Because Bono sang Edge's part along with him? That's an arrangement switch, not proof that he can hit that note better now.

I'd take a listen to the outro of the ZooTV versions. Bono nailed it back then.

Again, we were comparing the live versions, from 360 and ZooTv. Not live versions and the album cut.

And who's talking about hitting notes better? Did someone say that?

Cause we can argue that till the cows come home. 360>ZooTV.

You might wanna leave now.

the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

I personally find all of The Joshua Tree Tour to be more or less unlistenable because of Bono's singing. I guess I'm full of it?

Regardless, I think it's legitimate to say that Bono coasted in the late 80s in the sense he screamed constantly and didn't work to develop technique around screaming. Was his singing deliberate and very full of effort? Sure. But in a sense, it was still coasting. I also think it's legitimate to say that Bono coasts a lot now for not belting things out constantly. He is much more careful and calm and maybe that makes things more boring. He coasted in the 80s and he coasts now, but it's on two different things. I personally prefer now to the late 80s. And I think that late 2006 was one of Bono's best vocal time periods ever (I put it with ZooTV and TUF). But it's just a matter of preference. I have a hard time the sort of raspy screaming that Bono did constantly in the late 80s (though I find Lovetown far better than TJT Tour). He may not have had any better technique in 1984/1985, but it sounds better to my ears. And starting with ZooTV, I think Bono learned to control his voice much more nicely. But overall, I'm forming these opinions just on what sounds good to my ears.

Oh, was this a series of private messages between you and LM? Forgive me, I thought this was an Internet forum. My mistake.

P.S.: I am pretty sure it was I who "injected" the topic of coasting into the conversation in the first place.

at least get the argument right. You couldn't even do that. And you're all on about how I'm using words wrong.

The whole string of posts is available to you. Read them. Then interject.

We're arguing corn futures and you come in with some rant about how your sneakers smell.

sort it out.

I personally find all of The Joshua Tree Tour to be more or less unlistenable because of Bono's singing. I guess I'm full of it?

Apparently. Don't let this Phils guys see this. He'll go ape shit. He won't tolerate differing opinions. Your opinion is a myth.

and people who suggest he sounds better now are full of it. It's literally the only thing that brings me back to this section of the forum: trying to debunk this insane myth that Bono's better than ever right now.

Bono is a singer of a band.

That band has been going for more than 30 years.

20 years ago, Bono sang.

10 years ago, Bono sang, and it sounded a little different, because 10 years had passed.

Two years ago, Bono sang, and it sounded a little different again, because more time had passed.

Back
Top Bottom