Achtung Baby BOXSET reissue - Number 6 - THIS THREAD IS ÜBER DELUXE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for this.

I am in the process of downloading the Deluxe Version as we speak. I'm in the UK. You can use this service in the UK, you have to use Paypal as your payment option. It cost me £11.88...not bad really. The Liner notes come as a PDF file and look pretty damned fine.

So, how do I burn this as a DVD-Audio disc and retain the high quality? I don't want to burn it to CD as it'll cut the quality down.

I'm going to make special discs for this, use Lightscribe DVD-A's and put it in the Super Deluxe box.

I just quickly threw the HD download of 'One' onto my WD TV Live media player and put it through my Onkyo amp via HDMI, using DTS Neo/Audyssey processing with 7.1 surround Boston Acoustics speakers. It played it no problem and there is indeed a noticeable difference in sound quality. Treble is more pronounced and there seems to be more separation.

Just a quick verdict:up:

I just have a few questions about the HD Tracks version if anyone can help:

1. Does this differ from the digital Wav download using the code in the Uber set?
2. Is the HD Track download different that just ripping a cd at the highest quality?
3. Has anyone that listened to the HD Tracks been able to tell a difference?

Thanks.

I just quickly threw the HD download of 'One' onto my WD TV Live media player and put it through my Onkyo amp via HDMI, using DTS Neo/Audyssey processing with 7.1 surround Boston Acoustics speakers. It played it no problem and there is indeed a noticeable difference in sound quality. Treble is more pronounced and there seems to be more separation.

Just a quick verdict:up:

I downloaded it as well, and I agree. I believe it's the same digital "remaster" as the current reissue, but the improved 24bit sound is indeed noticeable.

This download is something that should definitely have been included in the Super & Uber sets, and I'd encourage anyone who loves AB and i interested in the best quality they can get it in to check this out.

For those having trouble with Java and the download please look at this:

Robert’s BLOG � Compellent Java Error on Terminal Server

I thought I paid money for nothing but it downloads now. If you have a paypal account my guess is the address needs to be american as well. Wow! What a headache for payment of music. It's so much easier to pirate. :giggle:

EDIT: Make sure your firewall and virus shields are turned off for the download because they can interfere.

I just have a few questions about the HD Tracks version if anyone can help:

1. Does this differ from the digital Wav download using the code in the Uber set?

Yes, these are 24-bit vs. 16-bit for the Uber WAVs. With 16-bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels. With 24-bit, there are 16,777,216 possible levels, so you can preserve a lot more detail and dynamic range.

2. Is the HD Track download different that just ripping a cd at the highest quality?

Same answer. CD audio is 16-bit, 44.1 kHz sampling rate.

3. Has anyone that listened to the HD Tracks been able to tell a difference?

Yes, I've fed them directly from the optical port on my computer to my DAC and listened to them on headphones. Sounds more detailed than a lossless CD rip. I don't have the Uber WAVs to compare, but they should be basically the same as the CD.

So, how do I burn this as a DVD-Audio disc and retain the high quality? I don't want to burn it to CD as it'll cut the quality down.

I use Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo to encode DVD-Audio. It's 45 bucks, but there's a trial version so you can author a few discs for free before you have to pay for it.

I haven't burned a copy of Achtung Baby yet, but I've had great success with it in the past.

Yes, it's real, HD Tracks is legit.

HD Tracks is legit, but they have had some quality control issues. There have been instances where they were selling "high-res" audio files that were clearly just upsampled CD rips. HD Tracks doesn't do the encoding themselves, and the "fake HD" stuff was coming from the labels, but they should have been more careful about verifying them. HD Tracks has been good about taking them down and offering refunds when they're identified as fake.

In fact, eventually iTunes will probably go this direction w/their downloads once they can make the agreements w/the labels. As soon as iTunes starts offering 24bit, lossless music downloads, they'll be able to legitimately say it's "better than CD" quality.

I converted the Achtung Baby FLACs to ALAC and imported them into iTunes. That's as close as you can get to high-res on iTunes right now. They sound great. I was surprised that they actually synced with my iPod, though I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference with my cheapo earbuds.

I converted the Achtung Baby FLACs to ALAC and imported them into iTunes. That's as close as you can get to high-res on iTunes right now. They sound great. I was surprised that they actually synced with my iPod, though I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference with my cheapo earbuds.

That's exactly what I did. I use iTunes/iPod, which clearly can't play FLAC, so just convert all my FLAC files to ALAC, and obviously it works perfectly. Discovered that with my Rush Moving Pictures 24bit remaster, which was a revelation.

Yes, later generation iPods can play 24bit...another reason why I think iTunes is going to go in this direction.

Um, yes. That's why I asked at what point in the AB process this was recorded. It seems like an odd choice and an odd musical style for a group that was supposedly being influenced by Nine Inch Nails and Einsterzende Neubauten. My theory is that this was one of the first things they recorded after their break, long before AB started to take direction. But I was wondering if anyone here knew the real story.

This track was recorded in January 1989, when U2 went into the studio to record a series of covers for use as future B-sides. Among the tracks recorded were "Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody," "Everlasting Love," "Fortunate Son" w/ Maria McKee, and "Everybody Loves a Winner", also w/ McKee. ("Paint It Black" may also date from these sessions.) Confirmation comes from several different sources, most notably Propaganda interviews with Adam and Edge that specifically cite recording sessions in 1989 over five days where they laid down covers, including a few with Maria, who confirmed at U2.com that she did both "Fortunate Son" and "Everybody Loves a Winner" in these sessions. (Apparently, a cover of Bruce Cockburn's "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" was also recorded but has never been released.)

HAHA!! got my Uber this morning I just called home!!..YAY!! now I pray the rest of this day goes fast! so I can go home and enjoy it all!! I'm so excited it's like Christmas in November!! :hyper::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Oh well then it was probably my java problem. At least we both have it now. :lol: I'm now salivating at that Raising Sand (Plant/Krauss) 96Khz 24bit. :drool:

Yep, I had an issue with Java too...but just updated to the latest version and 'bingo'...it worked:applaud:

Glad you managed to get it too and overcome the initial problems you had.

Enjoy:wave:

This track was recorded in January 1989, when U2 went into the studio to record a series of covers for use as future B-sides. Among the tracks recorded were "Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody," "Everlasting Love," "Fortunate Son" and w/ Maria McKee, and "Everybody Loves a Winner", also w/ McKee. ("Paint It Black" may also date from these sessions.) Confirmation comes from several different sources, most notably Propaganda interviews with Adam and Edge that specifically cite recording sessions in 1989 over five days where they laid down covers, including a few with Maria, who confirmed at U2.com that she did both "Fortunate Son" and "Everybody Loves a Winner" in these sessions. (Apparently, a cover of Bruce Cockburn's "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" was also recorded but has never been released.)

Interesting. So why are "Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody," and "Everlasting Love" considered R&H "B-sides", but "Everybody Loves a Winner" and "Fortunate Son" considered AB "B-sides", if indeed they're all from the same session (not doubting the information, I believe it to be true, just find it curious).

I was hoping to see this in DVD quality on my TV, but this video is not on any of the DVD's?

U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix - 2011) - Official Music Video - YouTube

Where did it come from?

This has been floating around for a couple months. As the video indicates, you'll remember it was played on the screens in the background when the band played the song at Glastonbury...my understanding is this "wall art" was specifically made for U2. Someone apparently got a hold of the original footage, combined it w/ the Glastonbury footage, and made a video. I heard it was "unofficial" but made by someone associated with the production and had access to the video. But the Youtube description describes it as "official"...though I kind of doubt it. The song wasn't released as single as far as I know, and it's not on U2.com or U2's Youtube page. But who knows.

For those who bought the 'Vinyl' box set does it say how many they made? Wondering how limited it is.

I was on the Uber bandwagon but I didn't realize they didn't include the purple/blue vinyl for the b sides. Kind of whacky.... I could buy the vinyl and super box & still save $200!!!

Interesting. So why are "Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody," and "Everlasting Love" considered R&H "B-sides", but "Everybody Loves a Winner" and "Fortunate Son" considered AB "B-sides", if indeed they're all from the same session (not doubting the information, I believe it to be true, just find it curious).

"Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody" and "Everlasting Love" were the last B-sides to the last R&H singles, so there wasn't a reason to release those other songs prior to 1992. By the time U2 released "Wild Horses" (their unprecedented fifth single), they'd exhausted their usual stockpile of extra material ("Lady With the Spinning Head," "Satellite of Love," "Salome," and "Where Did It All Go Wrong" had all been released by this point), so they probably just raided the cache for stuff that was finished enough to release. (They were touring after all, and wouldn't have had the time to finish any other material, so covers became a quick fix.) As a result, even though "Fortunate Son," "Paint It Black" and "Everybody Loves" date to 89, they still count as AB B-sides.

It's no secret U2 holds onto old material for a while in case there's a reason to release it later. They had talked about reworking "White City" (later to be released as "Disappearing Act") for Achtung Baby. "Big Girls Are Best" was a Pop track that didn't get B-sided till ATYCLB, and "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" was a ATYCLB track that got HTDAAB'd. Guessing that's what they did with those covers as well.

This track was recorded in January 1989, when U2 went into the studio to record a series of covers for use as future B-sides. Among the tracks recorded were "Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody," "Everlasting Love," "Fortunate Son" w/ Maria McKee, and "Everybody Loves a Winner", also w/ McKee. ("Paint It Black" may also date from these sessions.) Confirmation comes from several different sources, most notably Propaganda interviews with Adam and Edge that specifically cite recording sessions in 1989 over five days where they laid down covers, including a few with Maria, who confirmed at U2.com that she did both "Fortunate Son" and "Everybody Loves a Winner" in these sessions. (Apparently, a cover of Bruce Cockburn's "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" was also recorded but has never been released.)

Thank you! This is what I suspected. "Everybody Loves a Winner" totally sounds like it's from the Rattle and Hum era. But now I have the same question as Nick66... how did some of these end up as AB b-sides? I guess that's just all that U2 had in the vaults when it came time to release the singles.

Oh, and I still think "Heaven and Hell," especially the guitar solo, also sounds like it could have been done during this same 1989 session.

EDIT: Oops! I see you answered that question already as well, Nathan1977. Thanks!

Can someone post the liner notes for CD 2 off the 2-disc, since they're apparently not in the Super or Uber? Curious what Edge has to say...

Thank you! This is what I suspected. "Everybody Loves a Winner" totally sounds like it's from the Rattle and Hum era. But now I have the same question as Nick66... how did some of these end up as AB b-sides? I guess that's just all that U2 had in the vaults when it came time to release the singles.

Agreed.

Oh, and I still think "Heaven and Hell," especially the guitar solo, also sounds like it could have been done during this same 1989 session.

Stylistically I agree, but I'm pretty sure that track wasn't laid down until Hansa in fall 1990. Everything I've seen says that the band only recorded covers in the Jan 89 session, and that otherwise they didn't do much recording that year. Most of the AB material emerged from a May 1990 set of recordings that Edge did in his basement with Bono, a July 1990 STS session where a bunch of material was demo'd ("Where Did It All Go Wrong," "Salome," probably others), and the fall Hansa sessions. "Real Thing" may have originated earlier -- perhaps as early as '88. "Acrobat" and "Trying to Throw" originated while the band was in Australia in 89.

"Dancing Barefoot," "Unchained Melody" and "Everlasting Love" were the last B-sides to the last R&H singles, so there wasn't a reason to release those other songs prior to 1992. By the time U2 released "Wild Horses" (their unprecedented fifth single), they'd exhausted their usual stockpile of extra material ("Lady With the Spinning Head," "Satellite of Love," "Salome," and "Where Did It All Go Wrong" had all been released by this point), so they probably just raided the cache for stuff that was finished enough to release.

It's no secret U2 holds onto old material for a while in case there's a reason to release it later. They had talked about reworking "White City" (later to be released as "Disappearing Act") for Achtung Baby. "Big Girls Are Best" was a Pop track that didn't get B-sided till ATYCLB, and "Are You Gonna Wait Forever" was a ATYCLB track that got HTDAAB'd. Guessing that's what they did with those covers as well.

Interesting. Explains why Fortunate Son & Where Did It All Go Wrong have more of a R&H vibe to them. I'd a bet Paint it Black comes from those sessions as well.

I think I actually may move those two tracks to my R&H B-sides play list in iTunes.

Thanks for the really useful information....and the pun. :)

Can someone post the liner notes for CD 2 off the 2-disc, since they're apparently not in the Super or Uber? Curious what Edge has to say...

I don't think Edge did liner notes for any of this. Someone did mention "liner notes" for Disc 2 of the deluxe earlier in this thread, but that was only referring to the track list with producer/additional musician information, right? Or is there actually commentary on each track in the 2-disc version?

I believe that was originally posted on Vimeo, but now I can't seem to find it. Can't recall whether it was posted in HD or not.

Yes, it was on Vimeo and in HD. Whoever posted it described how it was made/where it came from, but I can't recall all the details now except I'm pretty sure it's "unofficial."

I like the mix and especially the video quite a bit actually.

Back
Top Bottom