Achtung Baby BOXSET reissue - Number 6 - THIS THREAD IS ÜBER DELUXE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
somewhere way WAY back in the thread when the discussion was about potential unreleased songs a youtube link to an outtake that contained elements of the Fly, UV, Lady with the spinning head - maybe others, too.

anybody know what I'm talking about? anybody have the link?

there's too much to sift through...

There's a track on the Salome tapes I've called for many years, "Wake up lady with the ultraviolet spinning fly." It has early elements of all of these songs.

So I finally opened the uber boxset I got from Universal that was supposed to come with the limited edition lithograph but the lithograph is no where to be found. :angry:

There's a track on the Salome tapes I've called for many years, "Wake up lady with the ultraviolet spinning fly." It has early elements of all of these songs.

Thanks for the response - I've only got a 3 disc version of the outtakes - not sure if i have it in there.

but i think i found it on youtube, and it's sorta got a similar name to whatever you called it...

U2 Wake Up Dead Man-w-the Spinning Head - YouTube

I really, really love the 'Kindergarten' AB. It is by far the best part of any of the re-issues / re-masters / sonically tweaked sets.

I feel like I am getting to discover AB all over again. It's not the mind blowing experience of 20 years ago, but I love the chance the absorb a whole 'new' AB. Every song has slightly different twists and turns, notes and lyrics...it's another new journey with the band.

None of the songs top the originals (WGRYWH comes close!), but this disc will be in my regular U2 rotation for years to come.

Bravo U2!

Even after the TV-inserted BBC intro, and if measured stating at the same starting point after that (Glastonbury fade in), the Achtung box version is 6 to 7min shorter, 1:15 versus 1:22.

Three biggest missing scenes I could tell were:
-Bono listing all the art school musicians from classic rock, and then noted Eno was their art school
-When talking about difficult JT tour, Adam '11 saying you can't make it up, and then a scene showing Bono making up a setlist to Adam in '87
-the long montage of all the bands that have broken up, with animations and scenes of all those bands, played under The Clash

That's only 3 min all together.
What are there others...?

Even after the TV-inserted BBC intro, and if measured stating at the same starting point after that (Glastonbury fade in), the Achtung box version is 6 to 7min shorter, 1:15 versus 1:22.

Three biggest missing scenes I could tell were:
-Bono listing all the art school musicians from classic rock, and then noted Eno was their art school
-When talking about difficult JT tour, Adam '11 saying you can't make it up, and then a scene showing Bono making up a setlist to Adam in '87
-the long montage of all the bands that have broken up, with animations and scenes of all those bands, played under The Clash

That's only 3 min all together.
What are there others...?

Keep in mind that the running time for the BBC version that's been floating around will be slightly shorter than the running time of the NTSC DVD included w/the North American editions of the box set due to PAL speed up (4%) on the BBC version. So subtract 4% from the running time of the BBC version, plus the BBC intro, and use that as running time to compare to the DVD w/the set.

There are other bits cut from the DVD. Here's a link to my post in the previous AB Remaster thread in which I mention some other cuts: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...eissue-part-v-five-212670-18.html#post7395822
Things I noticed that were cut include:
- the section of other bands breaking up
- first demo of Mysterious Ways (with Bono commenting on the 'It's alright' chorus with "It's not alright" and Edge commenting on how the rhythm lacks personality)
- Edge's comment about his initial solo in Love Is Blindness

ALL THAT THE ÜBER LEFT BEHIND

everything that should be on the Über, but's not

PM me for links

DISC 7: GIMME SOME MORE

DISC 8: Ümlaut Remixes

DISC 9: ZOO RADIO

DISC 10: ZOOTV TOUR: 4 SHOWS

1 ZOOtv INDOOR BROADCAST - STOCKHOLM

2 ZOOtv OUTSIDE BROADCAST - WASHINGTON

3 ZOOROPA - DUBLIN

4 ZOOMERANG - ADELAIDE

I know this has been discussed already, but there are a lot of posts to sift through.

Are Achtung Baby or Zooropa remastered?

I know this has been discussed already, but there are a lot of posts to sift through.

Are Achtung Baby or Zooropa remastered?

No, technically. However, they were tweaked, but those tweaks, we think, were done from the original master tapes, not from the source tapes that made those master tapes. Thus, they made new masters, but in the way that the industry uses the term remaster, this does not qualify as a remaster. Confusing? Kinda.

^ To compound the issue further, the difference in the recording is as stark (if not moreso) than the remaster for the Joshua Tree.

It is a wonderful re-master, even though it isn't a remaster.

Dunno if this has been brought up... but is the running time for From The Sky Down the same as the BBC broadcast?

ALL THAT THE ÜBER LEFT BEHIND

everything that should be on the Über, but's not

PM me for links

DISC 7: GIMME SOME MORE

DISC 8: Ümlaut Remixes

DISC 9: ZOO RADIO

DISC 10: ZOOTV TOUR: 4 SHOWS

1 ZOOtv INDOOR BROADCAST - STOCKHOLM

2 ZOOtv OUTSIDE BROADCAST - WASHINGTON

3 ZOOROPA - DUBLIN

4 ZOOMERANG - ADELAIDE

Do you have track listings for these?

Really? I thought the consensus was from most people that they aren't hearing much of a difference save for on a couple tracks.

Hadn't really looked too far into a consensus to tell the truth.

Should I have qualified it with an IMHO?

Well, IMHO, the difference in the recording is as stark (if not moreso) than the remaster for the Joshua Tree.

I hear particular differences in One (the clarity of Bono's guitar), Mysterious ways, nice separation between the guitar tracks) and Love is Blindness is less muddy.

Is the BBC version of From The Sky Down still available to watch or download?Because it has obviously been taken down from You Tube. I would like to watch that version again since some say it's longer than the DVD version. Wonder why they edited it for the DVD release? :hmm:

And since I have so little time to read through all the posts these days: Is it correct that the December DVD issue will contain more bonus material that is NOT on the AB boxset version of the DVD?

Back
Top Bottom