who else saw this U2 doc?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Im talking the POP doc narrated by (just remembered) Dennis Hopper? SHEESH wat a shex god!

everyone else? anyone else?

It was shown on Music 4 Aug 99 and is fecking fantastic, I still have it on video......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must say, the funniest bit to me was Bono readin all the words in his dic up to POP..........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh I could lasten to that man read me to beddy sleep!!!!!

biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 01-28-2002).]

Are you talking about that infamous program that become the lowest rated show in the US of all time?????
biggrin.gif

If so, yep, got it.....it featured one of the songs from the opening night Popmart in Vegas? We watched it in our hotel room the night after the concert....we could see Sam Boyd Stadium in the distance **sigh**

LOWEST??????????

LOWEST???

IS THE N to the C to the N insane??????????????????

biggrin.gif

look, it would NOT have been the lowest had they have played afterwards what they did here!!!! - The Red Shoe Diaries!!!!!!!!!! Like loadsa pple tunin in for that one mate!

Oh yea I love it but, its like the alphabet of U2 zipped into one carrier case which spills out and covers u when opened revealin gorgeous colours, loud music and bubble balloons, know what I mean??????

But Bono makes me laugh so hard in it, what with the ?Id tell them to get a fucking haircut?!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

It was indeed one of the lowest ranked TV specials ever, but for many reasons.

One, ABC (I believe that was the station) showed the special on Saturday night - the same night that the target demographic (i.e., teens to 30-somethings) are NOT home watching TV. In other words, the people that might have watched it weren't home to watch it. As an example, I wasn't home that night (I taped it instead).

Also, back then, there was this backlash against "Pop" and U2. If such a special were run on U2 now, it would probably perform far better. However, in '97, U2 was portrayed by the media as definitely unhip, uncool and irrelevant. While fans helped the "uncool Pop" reach #1 in 32 countries while selling over 6 million copies and helped PopMart become one of the biggest grossing tours of all time, U2 just couldn't shake this negative image.

Therefore, the timing of the special combined with this backlash led to its dismal ratings. Of course, having seen it, I wasn't all that impressed with it either, so I don't think it is something that would have attracted big ratings no matter what.

*raises hand

I was there (watching the TV). Just don't have it on video, though. Mad you don't have a copy do you?

Glad someone else can laugh at that
wink.gif

ok, back to Seinfeld...

I saw it! I saw it! That was before I was a hard-core diehard fan. I probably owned only 2 or 3 U2 CD's at the time it was aired. My dad had it on because he wanted to see what it all the fuss was about and because he had just read about Pop being an extremely experimental record. I only watched it because at the time, my favorite movie was "Speed", so I thought Dennis Hopper was cool shit.
biggrin.gif

Yep, it was one of the lowest rated ever. I honestly don't understand that, even if Pop didn't sell unbelievably well by U2 standards it was a massively hyped album and tour, and where were all those diehard fans? Bizarre. Guess what? I have never liked Pop much--but even I watched that doc. I might even have it on tape somewhere, I'm not sure.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Also, back then, there was this backlash against "Pop" and U2. If such a special were run on U2 now, it would probably perform far better. However, in '97, U2 was portrayed by the media as definitely unhip, uncool and irrelevant. While fans helped the "uncool Pop" reach #1 in 32 countries while selling over 6 million copies and helped PopMart become one of the biggest grossing tours of all time, U2 just couldn't shake this negative image.

Actually...I'm pretty certain that the doc came out early on in the whole Pop thing, before the backlash. It took a little while for the backlash to get going, actually quite a while. I remember reading oodles of ecstatic reviews, including one very strange one in the Vancouver Sun which said something like "only four songs completely work" and then gave the album four stars. And at least one review saying it was U2's first great album. But I don't think you can blame the backlash for the low ratings. Anyone remember exactly when the show was on in the US?

------------------

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by jezebel:
Are you talking about that infamous program that become the lowest rated show in the US of all time?????
biggrin.gif

If so, yep, got it.....it featured one of the songs from the opening night Popmart in Vegas? We watched it in our hotel room the night after the concert....we could see Sam Boyd Stadium in the distance **sigh**

I think jezebel has your answer right here, scatteroflight.

Originally posted by kariatari:

I think jezebel has your answer right here, scatteroflight.

Thanks!!

So I'd say it was pre-backlash...the album came out and the tour started almost right away, and at that point mostly people were just excited about new U2 again...

------------------

-ACROB@T

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 01-28-2002).]

I saw it! I have it! I just watched it again recently!!
biggrin.gif
I love that documentary!! I love anything about the boys, what can I say? Easy to please! Most memorable moment... Bono singing "Please" in the studio? I can't remember where, but he was sittin' down on a chair and it was soooo intense.

Originally posted by dipster:
Anyone remember exactly when the show was on in the US?

It aired in late April 1997, I remember it very well.

Well, if it was on the night after the Vegas show, and it had footage from that show...when was that show??
biggrin.gif

------------------

-ACROB@T

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 01-29-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom