Was Clayton Invited To Band Aid 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Bono is perhaps the only artist from Band Aid 1 to be invited to contribute to Band Aid 2. Of course the other artists from Band Aid 1 are either has-beens, over-the-hill, zero-relevance, dead, or retired by now, but U2 are still going strong.

However, Clayton was in the lineup of Bandaid 1. How come I haven't read any involvement of him on Band Aid 2? Was he snubbed or did he turn down an invite? If he was snubbed then I think it just shows what the music industry thinks about Clayton vis-a-vis Bono.

Cheers,

J

Jick has entered PLEBA!

NOW the posting gets interesting.....:ohmy:

i believe , that phil is still a fine gent ,
but then again , i also believe in SW

wat do I know

they should put tommy lee on drums for new band aid , then they can use clayton on bass

I don't think they "snubbed" Adam. The musical landscape has certainly changed over the past twenty years and there are all sorts of current stars that the Band-Aid 2 people preferred to have. It doesn't mean that they don't like all of the people they didn't ask, they just can't ask every musician who's famous.

verte76 said:
I don't think they "snubbed" Adam. The musical landscape has certainly changed over the past twenty years and there are all sorts of current stars that the Band-Aid 2 people preferred to have. It doesn't mean that they don't like all of the people they didn't ask, they just can't ask every musician who's famous.

20 years ago U2 was on top of the musical landscape, 20 years later they are still on top.

20 years ago Bono was a part of U2 and invited to Band Aid. 20 years later, Bono is still part of U2 and still invited to Band Aid2.

20 years ago Clayton was a part of U2 and invited to Band Aid. 20 year later, Clayton is still part of U2 but NO LONGER invited to Band Aid2.

So what conclusion can we draw out? That Bono is still at peak for while Clayton is a has-been? Or Bono is still in the same league as The Darkness, while Clayton has transcended that league and he won't stoop into the levels of performing with the likes of those so-called artists?

I really don't know that's why I ask here. Was Clayton really invited or was he snubbed?

Cheers,

J

TheBrazilianFly said:
Can't somebody move this to EYKIW?

Isn't this PLEBA supposed to be about individual band members? I think my thread is focused squarely on Clayton.

Cheers,

J

I don't know if Adam was invited or not, but maybe because they had Paul McCartney playing bass on the track, they thought more than one bass player would be too many?

Yes, I know Sting and Adam and probably a couple other bass players were in the original.

McCartney was banned from singing on the song because "he was too old." :)lol:) Maybe because Bono was there they didn't want another old guy like Clayton around?

And as much as I love Adam, he's not instantly recognizable as Bono is.

They didn't invite Adam simply because they wanted to provide you with more material to spark controversy with, jick. :wink:

jick said:
I really don't know that's why I ask here. Was Clayton really invited or was he snubbed?

Cheers,

J

your question is problematic because you have defined it as needing an either/or response.

i dont think any of us know whether or not he was invited. but not being invited is not neccessarily a snub.

That's right, Adam just doesn't have Bono's visibility. He's more private and is probably not unhappy about not being in the limelight any more than he is. With a new album coming out and stuff, he's probably got as much to do as he wants. He can't be in every big-shot event, and I doubt if he really wants to be.

Valid question, I think. I've noticed that Adam hasn't had a single mention in any article I've read about Band Aid. It's all about Bono's involvement in both old & new ... that's crap, to talk about the event as if he wasn't there at all. I just find that insulting.

Cheers ~Ultra

Last edited:
It is an insult to the talent and credibility of Clayton to snub him to Band Aid 20. In Band Aid 1, Clayton didn't play the bass - he just provided vocals in the chorus and was the guy who would cheer up the superstars in that group. Why can't he do the same for Band Aid 20? Or why can't he actually get a bass playing part here? I guess Bob and Midge aren't so much into Clayton this time.

Cheers,

J

:blahblah:

What the fuck does Adam care anyway, he's one hell of an accomplished bass player. I doubt his feelings are hurt. :rolleyes: I still think that Adam had nothing to do that day so he just decided to go and give Bono some help with the super coolness of his presence. Why do you always make something stupid into something decadent or negative Jick? Don't worry man, this thing won't affect Adam, even your dislike for him won't affect the man. :)

Last edited:
I think they done adam a favour not inviting him to be part of band aid 20.. so far no one seems so keen on it
Even though they will buy it because of africa.. the fact he was in the first one.. greatest respect to him

I still think it meant more back then than it does now.. not that the cause in Sudan is any less important.. but the actual impact of a charity single is wearing thin than it was in 1984 and I really think they should have just got a new song new sound new lyrics than rehash feed the world again this is a tired attempt and I will donate money to those poor people in another way

I in no way deny them the help they need or the fact that they need it

as much as I admire Bob Geldof and Bono and the others for their compassion I won't buy this single

Last edited:
jick said:
It is an insult to the talent and credibility of Clayton to snub him to Band Aid 20. In Band Aid 1, Clayton didn't play the bass - he just provided vocals in the chorus and was the guy who would cheer up the superstars in that group. Why can't he do the same for Band Aid 20? Or why can't he actually get a bass playing part here? I guess Bob and Midge aren't so much into Clayton this time.

Cheers,

J

How may of the original Band Aid participants are in the new version? Virtually none, so why are you singling out Adam Clayton?

Bono's American Wife said:

How may of the original Band Aid participants are in the new version? Virtually none, so why are you singling out Adam Clayton?

I am singling out Clayton because Bono is there. Bono and Clayton were there in `84 because they belonged to the best band in the world back then, U2. Now, U2 are still the best band and Bono is still invited. So why not Clayton too? By the way, I am not singling out Mullen or Edge because they didn't make it back in `84 anyway. But Clayton was there then so why not now? What I really want to know is if he was actually invited and refused, or if he was just plain snubbed.

Cheers,

J

Jick, you confuse me, most posts you have downright contempt for Adam, and here you post this--

It is an insult to the talent and credibility of Clayton to snub him to Band Aid 20.

:huh:

To my knowlege, Bono is the only one from the original lineup who was invited.

You subtly hint that U2 would be better off without Adam, so why do you care if he was invited or not. I doubt Adam would snub it, more like, they only wanted Bono from the original version. Paul McCartney wasn't asked it seems, and he's one of the Beatles.

Just in case--

contempt--The feeling or attitude of regarding someone or something as inferior, base, or worthless; scorn.

Last edited:
thrillme said:
Jick, you confuse me, most posts you have downright contempt for Adam, and here you post this--

:huh:

To my knowlege, Bono is the only one from the original lineup who was invited.

You subtly hint that U2 would be better off without Adam, so why do you care if he was invited or not. I doubt Adam would snub it, more like, they only wanted Bono from the original version. Paul McCartney wasn't asked it seems, and he's one of the Beatles.

Just in case--

contempt--The feeling or attitude of regarding someone or something as inferior, base, or worthless; scorn.

Never have I said that U2 would be better off without Clayton. Just because Clayton is the only gig-missing, marijuana-possessing, non-Christian member of U2 doesn't mean U2 will be better off without him. I say that Clayton is U2's weakest link, but he is still an irreplacable link. For it to be U2, it has to be all four of them.

Now, I care if Clayton was invited or not because he was a member of the original Band Aid lineup, along with Bono. So I thought he might be able to ride of the cottails of Bono this time around and get a part in Band Aid20 just like he did 20 years ago. I guess I was wrong and Clayton isn't part of it. I just don't know if it was because he wasn't invited or if he turned down an invitation.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Never have I said that U2 would be better off without Clayton. Just because Clayton is the only gig-missing, marijuana-possessing, non-Christian member of U2 doesn't mean U2 will be better off without him. I say that Clayton is U2's weakest link, but he is still an irreplacable link. For it to be U2, it has to be all four of them.

:tsk:

Jick, I don't know how you intended this, but it sounds very contemptful and very bitter.

Back
Top Bottom