The 2014 AFL Thread Chasing a Place in the Eight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh fuuuuck that was incredible. What a great game. Port really only have themselves to blame for that miserable inaccuracy. Just one kick straight and they'd have won.

I fear Sydney have this won already. Extra day's rest after a much easier prelim. Hawthorn look absolutely buggered.

I'm hoping they'll manage to catch their breath by next week!

I also hope Lewis's knee comes good and we get Cyril back in good shape...

Trust you to spoil the mood here Vlad. In the last minute alone the Hawks got gifted a free and then when the same thing happened to Monfries there was no call.

Just fucking amazing finish and game. Greatest sport in the world without doubt.

Trust you to spoil the mood here Vlad.

I don't care, they gave us shit for losing the prelim in 2012, so I'm going to give them shit for losing here. Good riddance.

At least they still have that premiership from June, right?

I thought the umpiring was pretty woeful as expected, but it never seemed like it was so blatantly to one side (except for the 2nd quarter where the Hawks got a remarkably lucky run), remember that the umps missed a blatant throw which immediately lead to a Port goal in the first.

Port is gonna so much fun to watch next year.

Really hope they live up to their potential, for most of 2014 seemed like they've thrived a bit being the underdog/under the radar a bit, and have been wanting when the pressure's on. This finals series has suggested otherwise, they couldn't get through the Hawks but Sydney and Hawthorn have been the best teams for the entirety of the year by so much. if Port won today it would have been massive but it would have been difficult to back them against an in form Swans. the pales are fading a bit so some more real talk:

- Rougheads game tonight was unreal, one of the best single player performances I've seen in a while. He was there all night to get them out of trouble, emphatically so. pav should have done the same last week.

- Port could have and should have won. but they didn't so fuck it. no point wondering over ifs and I have no doubt hinkley's blokes realise that and will work harder than ever over the preseason.

- best game I saw this year was Sydney/Port in round 11, 98-94. one point off from tonight. TWILIGHT ZONE.

- winsard will have a good look at himself and realise that he needs to do things that don't necessarily have to show up on youtube

- extra day break is a myth. Hawthorn will be well and truly in it, anyones game. carn the hawks, take it up to Buddy because lord knows we'll be hearing enough about him this week.

You really do fret about the negatives of umpiring too much, Vlad.

There are mistakes every game. Tonight was bog standard, and the issue you mentioned didn't happen in a crucial moment. There was a non-paid free in the last minute that should have gone to the Power, but you won't mention that.

Axver said:
You really do fret about the negatives of umpiring too much, Vlad.

Well Cobbler did bring it up once more, hence my response. :shrug:

There are mistakes every game. Tonight was bog standard, and the issue you mentioned didn't happen in a crucial moment. There was a non-paid free in the last minute that should have gone to the Power, but you won't mention that.

I know that was a shit decision, but I assumed it was common knowledge just because everyone else has been talking about.

Anyway it's still way too early to suddenly lock Port in the top 4 for next year, anything could change, always the possibility the Port that lost several matches in a row can become the norm. I don't think that will happen though because I do rate Ken as one of the very best coaches in the AFL.

I think the most costly play in the dying stages was when Ebert took a strong grab about 60m out with a minute left, decided to play on immediately only to get smothered, but you won't mention that. :wink:

Haha, only because he used to play for the Eagles and I didn't want to bring him up! Definitely one of the players to feel the pressure the most towards the end.

Have to say that was the best Monfries game I've seen, in years at least. Could have been the match winner.

Thought I'd be fretting Sydney/Hawks but now I'm really excited... best week of the year coming up.

I don't see how anybody could complain, Buddy vs. Hawks in the GF is massive.

I'm not confident, but god I want Hawthorn to destroy Sydney. It'd be an amazing premiership if they do. Lose their goalkicking superstar to your opponent. Massive injury list. The fucking coach is out of action for over a month. And to still make the grand final, that alone is something of which Hawthorn fans can be immensely proud. If they win, it would be one of the all time great premierships.

I don't see how anybody could complain, Buddy vs. Hawks in the GF is massive.

Yeah, but football's about more than one overpaid bloke that lives in Bondi. It's going to be good, but I was really hoping for an upset this weekend just to shake things up.

Guess I like Sydney's players more for the most part, but going for the Hawks for the same reasons Ax just said. Plus wowee boy oh boy alipate carlile how funny would it be if Sydney choked.

Undisputed top 2 playing in the finals is nothing to complain about. Hopefully watching this grand final with Shepp Danny, so that will give it another layer of greatness.

Undisputed top 2 playing in the finals is nothing to complain about. Hopefully watching this grand final with Shepp Danny, so that will give it another layer of greatness.

That will be very great! Hope it all works out. :)

Maybe umpiring is like a Rorschach test... you see what you expect to see.

I must have missed it last night, but I just saw a clip from right after the siren sounded, and the look on Kochie's face.... ahahaha.

Yeah the upside of Port losing is now we don't need to worry about seeing Kochie's mug every few minutes during the grand final.

FUCK!

Though I don't think I saw him in yesterday's coverage...?

Back
Top Bottom