Songs of Innocence Promo Tour - Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the US tour is really going on sale NOvember 22nd, then they'll probably wait until mid November to come and do the US promo tour. Also, by doing some November promos maybe they can squeeze a few holiday sales out of people like my Mom who really likes U2, but isn't going to buy it unless she comes across it out on display somewhere. She has certainly never even heard of iTunes, so she didn't get it for free.

It is like talking to a random negative comment generator. It won't engage in the substantive nature of whatever you put into it, and it spits out asinine crap.

Unless you have HEARD what they originally intended with each album, it is all hearsay. Every time they have changed direction, it could be that the original direction produced crap music. But to claim that they have sacrificed artistic ambitions to make safe records implies you are aware of their personal and inner artistic ambitions. Which you are not. Which I am not. Which no-one on this board is.

I think the reason arguments with you go further than with most, you and Aygo on your respective crosses, is that you won't put the shovel down when you are called out on nonsense.

You just can't help it, can't you?
You really do believe that only your vision of the band and only your way to appreciate the band is the universal truth. Everything outside of that norm you classify as "ignorant", "tacky", "manipulative", well, whatever is the subtle insult it comes to your mind in that moment.

Guess what? Unless I get kicked out of this forum for whatever reasons, you and your group of bullies will have to take and deal with my opinions (negative or positive, constructive or destructive) towards the band's work for a long time... Bro.

I agree with this so much! What limits them so much is the fact that they don't have a rhythm guitar/keyboard/backing vocalist/auxiliary musician. I'm talking someone more than Terry understage. Somebody to help fill the body of the song so that Edge can do his lead parts. Someone to play the piano parts on NYD so that Edge doesn't have to do both, leaving him free to fill in some guitar parts. Somebody else to make the backing vocals fuller. There needs to be a 3rd voice doing the falsetto "VOL CAN O", because high singing doesn't come through as powerfully.

It would help if Bono was a competent Rhythm Guitarist, but we'll cut him some slack for being one of the best frontmen ever, and a great singer. Larry should have a mic on all the time and sing some of the more "sing a long" types. He does this a little bit, but he needs to do more. Adam could also open his mouth and do a little bit too. Just some "WALKAWAY WALKAWAY" type stuff would help.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I do not ask for Bono to be a great rhythm guitar player. I just want him to f***ing play it and not only wear it.
It'd make such a big difference in many songs.
I don't agree with NYD (in this case, I guess Edge can handle with it all pretty well :D ), but besides "Gone" or DYFL, I could say "One" (not only I hate thr fact that they play the keyboards as an intro and not entering in the middle of the song, like in the studio cut, but some guitar work gets missing in concert because Edge cannot do it all alone - Bono with a rhythm guitar could help here), "All Because Of You" or "Stuck In A Moment" (yes, I'm one of the few who really really appreciates the studio version, and while Edge could play the guitar parts, Bono could perfectly play those keyboards which - in my opinion - give some important texture to the song... and those keyboards don't seem to have hard chords to play)...

Still, they don't have to play it as in the album. If an arrangement similar to the album doesn't work live... Well, try other arrangements. F***ing rehearse it in several ways! That's why you're a band with the exact same line up for almost 40 years!...

I think it was on this forum that someone said it best: U2 were never an experimental band, however they always experimented with their sound.

In my personal opinion the most diverse and challenging album they ever put out was Zooropa, and that is for several reasons... They released it in American in the summer of grunge. Pretty awesome move. They didn't tour the United States behind it. They let Brian Eno take the sound of Edge's guitar and make it not sound at all like a guitar. They had Johnny Cash sing on it before there was a Johnny Cash revival. Mixed with religious themes it continued to explore themes of media overexposure. It was a great example of how much the band evolved in the ten years since they had released War. For someone like me, who was just a few years into major U2 obsession and buying up their older albums it blew my mind that the band who recorded Zooropa also recorded albums like War and The Joshua Tree.

Passengers continued that exploration which lead to POP and as others said was their attempt at tapping into current trends at the time and is why I feel they really took their '90s sonic exploration as far as it could go.

I agree 100% that Zooropa was U2's pinnacle of creative output. This album was also my very first CD I ever bought. I still cannot decide whether or not Achtung Baby or Zooropa has more replay value, but I continue leaning towards Zooropa for re-playability. To me, the mark of a great U2 album is how often you can re-play the album and still find it just as fresh and exciting as the first time you heard it. Believe it or not, with Songs of Innocence I feel a freshness here and some of these songs I could replay quite often, and thats something I didn't feel with their last 3 albums.

U2 seems to produce albums in 3's, no? It was the trilogy of Boy/October/War, and then Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum, and then it was Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop and then ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH and now its yet again the beginning of a new trilogy. It's off to a decent start, no?

You just can't help it, can't you?

You really do believe that only your vision of the band and only your way to appreciate the band is the universal truth. Everything outside of that norm you classify as "ignorant", "tacky", "manipulative", well, whatever is the subtle insult it comes to your mind in that moment.

Guess what? Unless I get kicked out of this forum for whatever reasons, you and your group of bullies will have to take and deal with my opinions (negative or positive, constructive or destructive) towards the band's work for a long time... Bro.

You really didn't read any of my posts did you? This poster is claiming to know that the 00s output sacrificed the bands creative ambition. If he was writing an academic paper, he would be laughed at for making that claim with no proof, just saying that it is 'his opinion'. You can't make those claims and not back them up.

All the while things get discussed, you raise the same illogical points in the face of reason, evidence and logic. Then when you can't argue it anymore, you claim persecution, or take this false high road and talk of other's rage. Try not making the silly comments in the first place, or at least taking on board what others (not just me, many others) are saying to you.

:) :) :) :) :)

Suck me sideways, you're relentless. I'm genuinely embarassed for you when I read your posts.

Suck me sideways, you're relentless. I'm genuinely embarassed for you when I read your posts.

Cheers, but I'm married. Nice job going off half-cocked without being there for the majority of this garbage though. I'll let you know next time I want an unsolicited opinion from an uninformed random on the internet.

Also, no.

Why not? Adam had a mic in front of him (if not always switched on) right up until ZooTV.

All four of them used to sing on some songs, e.g. Sunday Bloody Sunday and Two Hearts Beat As One. I miss that sort of thing.

And yeah, Dan's not the one who looks the fool here.

Not that I have any desire to get involved in an endless argument that doesn't even really belong in this thread any more.

And yeah, Dan's not the one who looks the fool here.

Not that I have any desire to get involved in an endless argument that doesn't even really belong in this thread any more.

Cheers Ax, and point taken re the second para - I'm only shortening my life by engaging in this nonsense and I should know better.

Why not? Adam had a mic in front of him (if not always switched on) right up until ZooTV.

All four of them used to sing on some songs, e.g. Sunday Bloody Sunday and Two Hearts Beat As One. I miss that sort of thing.

Isn't there a moment on UABRS in SBS when the others miss the entry and only Adam sings the 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' line (last chorus of the song)? While I love Adam singing as a concept too, that performance alone is a good enough reason to take a microphone off him!

I'm with you on this Nick.

While I have turned my back on NLOTH, I will not do so for ATYCLB! I really enjoy that album and love Beautiful Day. I do find the back half of the album to be more on the boring side(I can't stand your beloved POE).

Also, Walk on is one of their best songs ever, let alone of the 2000's. It is very "U2 by Numbers" but funny thing is, I like U2, so when they write songs that sound like them....;)

And yes, from now until the last tour date of their career, we all will have to listen to Beautiful Day...and that is not a bad thing.

Also, is it me or does your passion of Beautiful Day seem to be at the same level as Bob Sagets passion for Invisible?? Lol

:standing ovation: Great post. Agree with everything here. I love ATYCLB, Walk On didn't win the Grammy for song of the year because it was a piece of crap, it won because it was a freakin great song. It's one of 2 U2 albums, along with The Unforgettable Fire, that I listen to straight through without skipping any songs on a decently regular basis. It's not their best album, but there's just something about it.
ATYCLB is about 100000x better than that garbage called NLOTH. I wasn't on this board at the time because at that point I was too young and didn't care much for U2 because besides most of the classics, all I heard was the horrificness of that album. I have always hated it and will always hate it. It has no place in my heart outside of Fez, I'll Go Crazy(I love this song and I'm not ashamed. Invisible is a crazy tonight rewrite for me) and No Line. A couple decent forgettable tracks thrown in, a couple overrated songs, a load of horse sh*t, and calling God a little old lady and you gotta pretty sh*tty album.

I'll let you know next time I want an unsolicited opinion from an uninformed random on the internet.

Yeah you say that now, but when the time comes I doubt you'll follow through. :(

I do not ask for Bono to be a great rhythm guitar player. I just want him to f***ing play it and not only wear it.
It'd make such a big difference in many songs.
I don't agree with NYD (in this case, I guess Edge can handle with it all pretty well :D ), but besides "Gone" or DYFL, I could say "One" (not only I hate thr fact that they play the keyboards as an intro and not entering in the middle of the song, like in the studio cut, but some guitar work gets missing in concert because Edge cannot do it all alone - Bono with a rhythm guitar could help here), "All Because Of You" or "Stuck In A Moment" (yes, I'm one of the few who really really appreciates the studio version, and while Edge could play the guitar parts, Bono could perfectly play those keyboards which - in my opinion - give some important texture to the song... and those keyboards don't seem to have hard chords to play)...

Still, they don't have to play it as in the album. If an arrangement similar to the album doesn't work live... Well, try other arrangements. F***ing rehearse it in several ways! That's why you're a band with the exact same line up for almost 40 years!...

I wish Bono could play rhytm guitar more often, for example
Electrical Storm
Exit
Every breaking Wave (I will hate them if they will do only the Adele version)
Boy fall From The Sky
No line On The Horizon

etc.

but I´m little bit scared if it wouldn´t end up as Glastonbury´s The Fly...:lol::lol::lol:

Isn't there a moment on UABRS in SBS when the others miss the entry and only Adam sings the 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' line (last chorus of the song)? While I love Adam singing as a concept too, that performance alone is a good enough reason to take a microphone off him!

I'll have to wait until I get home to hear it, but I can actually hear that in my head. I guess I never really thought about it being Adam, but I do recall something sounding weird. Thanks for the tidbit!

:huh:

You should be.

Crazy is a fun song and nothing more. I like it but had it not been for the awful voice cracks, I might say I love it....but those voice cracks are just too much.

:huh:

You should be.

I also love Window In The Skies, All Because Of You, Yahweh, Vertigo, Mercy and Hands That Built America. And don't like COBL, Moment Of Surrender, Magnificent or Breathe. I have nothing bad to say about any of their 80's material and think Zooropa is better than Achtung Baby and Pop (both overrated imo). So sue me.

I also love Window In The Skies, All Because Of You, Yahweh, Vertigo, Mercy and Hands That Built America. And don't like COBL, Moment Of Surrender, Magnificent or Breathe. I have nothing bad to say about any of their 80's material and think Zooropa is better than Achtung Baby and Pop (both overrated imo). So sue me.

:madwife: You have been served kind sir!

Ya know, the heady rush of putting one's insanity on public display can be deliriously exhilarating, I'm sure...but maybe not always advisable...

Sent from my ass crack

Do we have a time and venue yet for this German radio performance? You'd think we'd know by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom